Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
granturissimus
Enthusiast
granturissimus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
How do I back up my Kindle?

I put books on it through Calibre, and also just by buying from Amazon through wifi. In case I need to do a reset and lose all my data, how do I back up all the info that's on it? Including my bookmarks, highlights, notes, metadata updates.
granturissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I imagine copying the entire documents folder on the Kindle to your computer should do the trick.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Backup all of it

Hi
I also have a K3.
I rutinely do a backup of ALL files and folder on my K3.
Not just the documents folder.
Collections are hidden within the systems folder (collections.json)
Being a bit lazy, I just select all files and folders on my K3 when it's connected, and copy where wever I want the backup.
Might be a bit slower, but .. I have a copy of all I can.
Hope this helps as well.
Cheers,

P.S. Love your avatar
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
+ 1

I do the same, and have even managed to simply reload the whole thing back onto my device after a major crash which left too many loose ends. All you need to ensure however is that when you copy (if using Windows) you make ALL the files visible, including the many Hidden ones.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am new to Kindle... well, kind of. I had a KT for a while, but I have given up on the SONY as my main reader only with the release of the PW.
Anyhow, I have not yet figured out how to backup everything. I keep a copy of all my books drm-free in Calibre. But I have not been able to do that for periodicals. So I assumed I could just back them up manually (drag-and-drop) as above - but now I am wondering, in case of a catastrophic failure, will I be able to restore those on a different Kindle on the same account?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
granturissimus
Enthusiast
granturissimus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
So I assumed I could just back them up manually (drag-and-drop) as above - but now I am wondering, in case of a catastrophic failure, will I be able to restore those on a different Kindle on the same account?
Thats a good question! I wonder about that too, will dragging and dropping work if I buy a new kindle?

oh and pchrist7, thanks! carly is a cutie!
granturissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Cannot do a copy of the backup to a different kindle, that's why when you purchase a newer model you have to reload all your books. Something to do with the Amazon DRM.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Unhappy DRM,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Cannot do a copy of the backup to a different kindle, that's why when you purchase a newer model you have to reload all your books. Something to do with the Amazon DRM.
Tabatha is absolutely right that the "drag-drop"/copy method will ONLY work completely IF you restore to the same Kindle device.

However on the K3 (if you copy to another K3) you get your collections, annotations, NON-DRM books etc. etc. Your DRM books/periodicals will have to be reloaded to the new device.

The only reason I still do this "full backup" is I years ago had Calibre/K3 go totally out of sync (no K3 backup naturally) and had to start over from scratch.
If my trusty K3 should die, I know I will have to resent a lot of books from Amazon to my spare K3, but everything else should be OK.
Things might have changed since then, with better syncs in the Amazon world, but better safe than sorry
Cheers
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon fully backs up all your kindle eBooks purchased from them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The drag and drop will work for sideloaded books and personal documents though.

When I get a new Kindle I just copy the documents folder to my desktop from the old Kindle. I then copy the files from the folder to the new Kindle and import the collections. The only thing is having to resend Amazon books to the new Kindle from the MYK page. It works every time for me flawlessly. I don't lose anything.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote