Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrx View Post
Hi guys,
when I started this thread, I was pretty new to ebooks. In the meantime I experimented a lot with converting ebooks from different formats to different formats, wrote some scripts and combined them with the conversion tools I found in the net.

I no longer generate PDF, but epub or mobipocket. The simple reason: I want a clickable table of contents and better navigation than E-Readers provide for PDF. Also, you need a special PDF for each reader, because of the different screen sizes. Of course, I lost the high quality typsetting of TeX/LateX, but I won a lot of flexibility.

Maybe for big novels that you read page by page, PDF is an option ... anyway, I would like a clickable table of contents in my PDF, and I never tried to get that on the Kindle ...
Kindle does not support PDF links. Maybe some day it will, it has to be next on their to-do list of PDF viewing enhancements...

Kindle needs to have better TOC functionality in general. It should be making better use of the 'NCX' TOC structure (the same 'navpoints' structure that ePub uses for TOC navigation). The 'HTML TOC' (list of hyperlinked section titles at the start of most ebooks) is awful to navigate.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #17
isci1
isci1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I use Latex for WINDOWS to produce my .pdf documents. It is convenient as the .tex file takes negligible memory. But how do you change .pdf or .xml or .html to .tex? I would like to transfer .pdf books to KINDLE but as has been already remarked the font size is too small to read. Moving the scroll bar to read every line in KINDLE is frustrating.
isci1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #18
lyrx
lyrx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2 international, Sony PSR 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by isci1 View Post
I use Latex for WINDOWS to produce my .pdf documents. It is convenient as the .tex file takes negligible memory. But how do you change .pdf or .xml or .html to .tex? I would like to transfer .pdf books to KINDLE but as has been already remarked the font size is too small to read. Moving the scroll bar to read every line in KINDLE is frustrating.
Hi, I use pdf2xml.exe which comes from mobipocket.com to convert pdf to xml. I use XSLT transformations to transform xml to tex or html. Just use saxon or other xslt engines. But you have to know XSLT to do that.
lyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
isci1
isci1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks lyrx. I'll see if I can find my way about. Do you have the link to saxon?
isci1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #20
Asterisk411
Asterisk411 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
What settings is best for a pdf document on the kindle? I have course notes from the teacher but the font is too small to be used? The teacher is kind enough to make a custom pdf (if it doesn't take too long to modify the original) and I'm wondering what setting would get the pdf working well on my kindle?

Thanks
Asterisk411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
valex
Enthusiast
valex began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk411 View Post
What settings is best for a pdf document on the kindle?
I am currently using paper size 87.05mm x 115mm and DPI 167. It is the closest I managed to get to actual dimensions of the K3's "printable" area.

I tried contacting CS but after a couple of useless answers I gave up.
valex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #22
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Could you share some info on what you used to make that .pdf file of Cory Doctorow?

It looks really good on the Kindle.
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeton View Post
Could you share some info on what you used to make that .pdf file of Cory Doctorow?

It looks really good on the Kindle.
I used Microsoft Word. The page size is 3.46" x 4.6" with .1" margins on top and bottom and .15" margins on right and left sides.
The body text is 11 pt Calisto MT, paragraphs spaced at 1.15 lines, text condensed by .1 point. Headings are 16pt bold Calisto MT.

I play around with settings for PDFs for my Reader; I haven't picked one for all documents.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote