Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
upnseams
Enthusiast
upnseams began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 11
Wink I have my choice but

am looking into buying one of the sony readers. I just read books and I read a lot at night. I have my choice of the 300, 505 and the 600. Which one is the best one to get.
upnseams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnseams View Post
am looking into buying one of the sony readers. I just read books and I read a lot at night. I have my choice of the 300, 505 and the 600. Which one is the best one to get.
Welcome to MobieRead, upnseams.

If you'd like a little more info on these devices, here is our wiki page......

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
If you just want to read (without extra bells and whistles) then the 505 or 300 would be preferable. By reading at night, if you mean in the dark, the 505 (if you find one) has a neat lightwedge cover that's being closed out these days at Target ($34, or maybe less). Otherwise, you'll need some sort of book light if there's no reading light around.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I've got the 3 of them plus Sony 700.
You can find my comparison here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55857

Personally, I wouldn't use a 5" reader as my sole one. For some books, its display simply seems too small. Sony 300 is a perfect 2nd reader though.

If you don't need the integrated illumination, Sony 700 doesn't have any advantage to Sony 600.

Sony 600 is a great choice, if you need a touchscreen and the dictionary.
If you can do without them, Sony 505 still is the perfect choice. And you can make a steal on them right now.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-06-2009 at 09:53 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
upnseams
Enthusiast
upnseams began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 11
You all are awesome. I have looked at all 3 of them. And I don't need bells and whistles. I just read christian novels and that's about all. But I do read at night in bed and do need a light due to eye failure. I am really leaning towards the 505 it seems to be the best choice. Will do some more reading. Not sure the format I would need to buy and where to buy books from. Anohter learning curve.
Thanks everyone
upnseams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Check out the forums here for lots of free book uploads (serchable). The Sony Readers can handle the SOny forma (lrf/lrx), pdf, and ePub. There are other pages here with lists of many ebook sources.Plus you can borrow ebooks online of yourlocallibrary has an e-library.

FWIW, I've been using my 300 as my sole ebook device for the past 2 months or so since i got it, even with my 505 hanging around unused. For me, the 300is much more potable so I keep it with me. And I do not find the 300 screen too small at all. In fact, when I think about it the slightly shorter text lines may even be more comfortable for reading (less side-to-side eye motion). I think most people pooh-pooh the 5" screen based on general impression or from reading a quick screen or 2, and not from extensive reading. I've already read over 30 (40?) novels on mine, and it is extremely comfortable for long-term reading.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3

from a new Sony 505 owner (Ebay) just love it!!
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
If you read only at night, you might want to consider a backlit LCD display instead. I'd look at used, large screen PDAs on ebay and save a couple of hundred bucks if you find one you like. E-ink and reflective LCD (Ectaco jetBook) are best for bright daylight reading, or strong room illumination.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Hello upnseams. You mention having a visual impairment. These threads may be useful:

Low Vision Guide to the PRS-505
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39757

PRS-505 text zooming
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37563
(in which some people note that the Cybook has more zoom options than the 505.)

Very poor vision level, which reader?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39165
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote