Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
LotusV
LotusV is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color
Question about shared household account for NC

Hi! I received a Nook Color for Christmas and played with it for a while last night, but had one questions I couldn't find the answer to in the manual - so I'm hoping you can help here.

My husband has a nook account, and I've read online that people in the same households/accounts can share books between each other. I'm just not sure how to link our accounts so that we can see each other's books, and I'm wondering if my registering it yesterday to my B&N account would prevent me from linking it... Do we need to use the same email address? (I'd prefer not to) Do I need to unregister it and start over? Any help on the process would be appreciated! (Or if linking is not the best option, please let me know that too.)

Thanks!
Lori
LotusV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I believe if you wish to share books indefinitely on the Nook, you need to both use the same email address. Perhaps you could create a "joint" email address in gmail and then he could change his nook account to use that address; and then you could re-register your Nook Color.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Driaz
Next Big Nothing
Driaz began at the beginning.

Device: nook, nook color(rooted)
Actually, there's no need to create any additional joint email addy. The email address used by B&N is simply a user name. There is no reason why you have to supply B&N with a password that is the actual password to access said email address. In fact, I never do that. So the only password that has to be shared is the password supplied to B&N to access your B&N content.

If the OP is trying to have separate private B&N content on two separate B&N accounts while indefinately sharing some, I don't know of any way to do that.
Driaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
LotusV

I guess I'm just trying to find the best way for us to share the e-books that we purchase. Our reading interests overlap in some areas and it seems silly to buy the same books twice.

My husband set up an account when he got his nook color, and also uses the nook app for the iPad. Now that I have a nook color we wanted to be able to share the books we purchase, but I'm not sure what the best way to do that is. If the only way is to share his B&N account with his email address that he signed up with, that's fine....it's just that I registered my new nook color to my email address/my existing B&N account last night.

Thanks again!
Lori
Old 12-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Driaz
Next Big Nothing
Driaz began at the beginning.

Device: nook, nook color(rooted)
Lori,

If you want to share books, then both nooks need to be registered using the same B&N account. The easiest way seems (since your husbands B&N account is linked to two devices already) would be to unregister your NC and re-register it using his B&N account. If he's using a password that is the same as his email password, he can just login to his B&N account and change his password to something you both know in order to access the B&N account.

If you want to maintain two different B&N accounts, the only way to share books that way is to share devices as in physicaly swap readers back and forth.

Hope that helps!
Driaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You do not need to share an account to share B&N books. You can just copy (sideload) books to each others Nook using the USB connection (see the manual for info about sideloading).
To open the first book you will need to type in the credit card number and name the book was bought with. The Nook will remember this info, the next books will open immediately.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
LotusV

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll let hubby know our options and we'll go from there.

Lori
Old 12-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You do not need to share an account to share B&N books. You can just copy (sideload) books to each others Nook using the USB connection (see the manual for info about sideloading).
To open the first book you will need to type in the credit card number and name the book was bought with. The Nook will remember this info, the next books will open immediately.
This is what I do. That way you can still have separate accounts and share your books.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote