Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
TheMayan
TheMayan began at the beginning.

Device: none
3 Questions to kindle 2 or DX owners?

Im thinking purchase a Kindle 2 or a Kindle DX but i have some doubt about:

1- Can we use the dictictionary in the read of .mobi books? Or we can use ir just in the Kindle format?

2- Can we export completly the notes and hilights, not only the first line (I have these problem with prs-700)?

3- In the mobi format is possible full justify the text?

Best regards,

PS:Sorry the bad english. its not my native language.
TheMayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
1) Yes.
2) I've never annotated, but highlights are stored in a myclippings.txt file and are complete (though unformatted, since it's text, and I believe there's a limit to the size of the clippings)
3) Yes. More importantly, the Kindle defaults to justified text, and unless the book is designed with the "text-align:left" style tag, then they will always be justified.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayan View Post
Im thinking purchase a Kindle 2 or a Kindle DX but i have some doubt about:

1- Can we use the dictictionary in the read of .mobi books? Or we can use ir just in the Kindle format?

2- Can we export completly the notes and hilights, not only the first line (I have these problem with prs-700)?

3- In the mobi format is possible full justify the text?

Best regards,

PS:Sorry the bad english. its not my native language.
1. Not entirely sure what you are asking. So, I'll answer both potential questions: (a) yes, you can use the built-in dictionary when reading mobi books (that have no DRM). If the mobi books are DRM'ed you can't read them on the Kindle without stripping the DRM. The Kindle format is basically mobi plus their own DRM; (b) you can use mobi dictionaries (non-DRMed) on the Kindle.

2. All of the highlighted text is kept in one txt file. I am not sure about the notes though.

3. Yes, the mobi format itself allows full justification (through tags). Plus Kindle 2 and Kindle DX fully justify text by default unless there is a tag to the contrary.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
TheMayan

for the Help! Questions answered!

Now i just only need chose between the kindle 2 or the kindle Dx!

Best regards!
TM
Old 10-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
TheMayan

One more question! Can the Kindle 2 or DX use reat-to-me feature (read outloud) .mobi files?
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anything that the Kindle can read (txt, mobi, etc.) can be used with Text-2-Speech feature. One exception: some Amazon files have a tag in them that disallows the T2S.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
TheMayan

Tks Osnova!

But e presume the exception are Pdfs! Or can kindle read .pdfs? (Im thinking specificaly in text Pdfs. As surely kindle do not scan and convert image to text)?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Can Kindle 2 read pdf? I don't think so.

Its support in DX is minimal. It treats it almost like any other picture.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:54 AM   #9
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
The Kindle can't read pdfs, but unprotected pdfs can usually be converted to be read on Kindles and Amazon will do that for a tiny fee.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
bloovis
bloovis began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Centro
I had a DX for a week, and while PDF support is minimal, it's not quite as bad as plain pictures. If it's a text PDF (as opposed to a graphics-oriented one like sheet music), you can search for words. But you can't highlight words or make annotations.
bloovis is offline   Reply With Quote