Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Lord_Pall
Lord_Pall began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505, reb1200, reb1100
PRS-505 made my wife cry

I got my wife a PRS-505 for her birthday. Bought it in November in the US.

Now we're in Finland. She leaned across her desk and placed her elbow on the case(Default brown case from borders). Very slight pressure on the screen.

And it broke.

Like really really broke.

And she cried.

Which sucked.

So, I suspect Sony won't fix it because it's not in the states and the screen is broken through normal use..

Any ideas? Is it ruined? It's got the classic "straight lines broken screen look".

Are all the vizplex devices this fragile? This wasn't dropping it or really putting weight on it, it was slight pressure with the included case around the unit.

That seems to be far too fragile.

I'd like one of these with a protective cover between the housing and the screen.

The old Reb 1100 and 1200's we had were built like tanks. Anyone make eink units like that?
Lord_Pall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Mine sits in my work bag most of the day, with various folders/cases etc. Can't say that i'm particularly careful with it. It's been fine so far.

I do have the M-Edge padded cover though.

Sorry about your wife's loss. I would cry too.
harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
How sad. I think you might be able to claim on your house contents insurance if you have accidental damage cover.
In Europe you can order a replacement from Ebay. I bought mine from an Ebay shop, nearly a year ago.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
After reading all the sad stories about screen damage on this forum, I got the extended warranty which I otherwise would not have done.

Sorry about your wife's loss. Most of us on this forum would get pretty emotional were that to happen to us.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Torsion on the screen is a sure-fire way to break any eInk device - it fractures the very thin glass substrate that's under the plastic outer layer of the screen. It's relatively immune to being banged or knocked around, but anything which applies pressure to a single point on the screen, or a twisting force (like putting your elbow on it) and it's "curtains" I'm afraid. To be fair, exactly the same is true of a laptop screen, but you're unlikely to put your elbow on that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I agree that the device will take a beating. I have dropped my 505 from tables, backpack, briefcase at least 6 to 8 times. Each time I catch my breath and say a little prayer. So far no problem. It is in a standard Sony case. My wife placed some weight on her 500 and broke it. Sorry to hear.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Corrective
Enthusiast
Corrective began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
my condolences to the dearly departed. It's gone to a better place :'(
Corrective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
If pressure applied to the screen breaks the 505, how do people safely carry it in backpacks, suitcases etc.? What about leaving it on your coffee table, is that dangerous?

Are there dedicated cases you can buy for the 505?

Any tips?
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Really, the only thing you have to be careful of is putting pressure directly on the display.

That being said, I carry my 500 around in a hollow book.

There's a link to the instructions here, if someone wants them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I carry mine in my shirt pocket (screen facing me) and am careful about leaving it laying around (don't allow it to have anything placed on top of it).

William

Last edited by WillAdams; 04-30-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: edited 'cause the OP stated it came w/ a case
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
This is one of the reasons that a company like Rhino Skin need to make a rigid aluminum case for the Reader like they make for PDAs. It is a rigid aluminum case that folds back on itself for ease of use.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
If pressure applied to the screen breaks the 505, how do people safely carry it in backpacks, suitcases etc.? What about leaving it on your coffee table, is that dangerous?

Any tips?
If the Reader is in a bag or briefcase against a flat object like another book, laptop, etc., then the screen is completely protected from impacts. The cover itself provides some protection, because the screen is recessed a bit from the edges and the cover is slightly rigid.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Been carrying mine around in an external mesh on my laptop bag for ages without a problem. Usually goes in with the cover closed and face inward.

The screen itself is like any screen. Poke it hard enough and it breaks. Luckily for most people, it's fairly hard to do that since most accidents involve hitting the case before the screen (which lets the case absorb most of the impact).

As for the coffee table....depends. If you are worried about things like books and magazines getting piled on top, you would actually be pretty safe since the case would hold most everything away from the screen. But if you're worried about dropping smaller items on it (cans of soda, game controllers, very tiny frozen water buffalo, the hands of toddlers and drunken friends) then yes, it's dangerous for the reader.

If you find yourself REALLY paranoid about the loss of such a desirable object, do what we did here:

1) Slice open cover.
2) Insert thin aluminum sheet cut to a little smaller than the cover itself (we used titanium due to a scrap bin 6 feet from the office).
3) Reglue the cover and enjoy what is basically a bulletproof coat for your reader screen while closed. (NOTE: Do not use as an actual ballistic protection device. Do not use this modification if currently involved in a firefight. Void in parts of New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Terra.)
Old 04-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
(we used titanium due to a scrap bin 6 feet from the office)
Ah yes, I remember those sorts of bins. I used to work at a company that made machines that make microchips, and I got some very fun "trash" from that office. I have the world's most expensive trivet: it's a ceramic insert for a pedestal that's meant to hold 6" silicon wafers during metal deposition. Really high-tech stuff with a nice pattern of holes in it, very tough and probably cost over a thousand bucks for them to make at the time. It lives on the kitchen counter now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
Huxley The Cat
Librarian
Huxley The Cat began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, PRS-505
Quote:

Any tips?
Being a very recent, expensive, imported acquisition which hasn't yet got to the familiarity breeds contempt stage, I'm slightly paranoid about breaking the screen on my 505 - stories like the above don't help! I looked at all sorts of options but nothing seemed to work (mostly size issues). Then my better half came up with the idea of a jeweller's necklace box. I explained what I was after and why at the first jewellery shop I tried (Ernest Jones). The manageress initially said that they didn't sell the cases seperately, but proceeded to produce one from under the counter anyway, and it fit like a glove (PRS in leather cover). It's also extremely durable and has additional padding in the lid, which gives extra protection to the screen. Of course it's a bit more bulky than just the 505 in its cover, but I feel really happy that it will provide protection against quite a large amount of abuse.

The best bit was that the shop manageress was so pleased that I was pleased to have found something that worked, she said that I could have the case for a small contribution to the company charity , I was more than happy to oblige
Huxley The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote