Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Reader Rants about Covers

In many ways this random girl really nails it, but she is a bit naive, but was good watch in to a readers opinion on covers at least...

VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Haha. Very amusing. I enjoyed the funny rant. Thanks for sharing. She probably doesn't read much non-fiction, as photos of real people can be very effective, especially for biographies and memoirs.

I would think that if you are Stephen King or someone big like that you get final say over what your cover looks like. But for most authors, it's probably a big surprise.

I think book covers are important and either add a new dimension to a book or are little pieces of artwork which can be enjoyed all by themselves. For this reason, I don't understand those who purposely leave covers off their ebooks in their digital libraries. If nothing else, they provide visual cues that help me navigate through my books and recall what a book is about.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Amusing ... but I'm glad it wasn't any longer. I'm not exactly sure why pictures of real people stop her from imagining the characters, but drawn people do not. But her starting point, I think, is especially valid/useful/important: simplicity. It's even more important in these days of small thumbnail views where complex covers become a blur. It also helps to avoid many of the worst offenses in cover design.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I was interested to see that she castigated James Patterson's new Maximum Ride cover. I guess she is unaware that Patterson is responsible for every facet of the book, including cover design.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I was interested to see that she castigated James Patterson's new Maximum Ride cover. I guess she is unaware that Patterson is responsible for every facet of the book, including cover design.

Yeah, I guess she does not realize that some authors DO in fact control covers and some of those covers are not very good either. Not sure how old she is, looks young? 14? Not old enough yet to understand that her idols make mistakes too I guess.
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Amusing ... but I'm glad it wasn't any longer. I'm not exactly sure why pictures of real people stop her from imagining the characters, but drawn people do not. But her starting point, I think, is especially valid/useful/important: simplicity. It's even more important in these days of small thumbnail views where complex covers become a blur. It also helps to avoid many of the worst offenses in cover design.

Yeah Simplicity I think is the strongest point she makes and probably the best take away.