Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
mont555
mont555 began at the beginning.

Device: ADE in my computer
Validation Results. So Many Errors!!

Hello,

It's been a few days that I have been searching the web and this forum to find a solution to the validation errors in my first ebook with Sigil; but to no avail. I have some basic, (very, very basic) knowledge of html and css. I validated the css file and it's fine, but the epub came out with all these errors (at the beginning I thought there were more because they basically they repeat themselves along every chapter).

- attribute 'align' is not declared for element 'h1'

- attribute 'face' is not declared for element 'font'

- no declaration found for element 'font'

- element 'font' is not allowed for content model '(a|br|span|bdo|map|object|img|svg|tt|i|b|big|smal l|em|strong|dfn|code|q|samp|kbd|var|cite|abbr|acro nym|sub|sup|input|select|textarea|label|button|ins |del|script)'

- attribute 'align' is not declared for element 'p'

- attribute 'align' is not declared for element 'h2'

I appreciate if you can help me with this.

Many thanks.
mont555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This will be sorted out a lot quicker if you show us your epub file.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There's not a thing we can do with your error messages without seeing the code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The align attribute is not valid for whatever your declared document type is.
So no:
Code:
<h1 align="center">Header</h1>
or
Code:
<h2 align="center">Sub Header</h2>
or
Code:
<p align="right">Words.</p>
Those align attributes have to go. If you want to do inline text alignment, you're going to have to do something like:
Code:
<h1 style="text-align: center;">Header</h1>
Apparently you also have something like:
Code:
<font face="serif">
That's no good either. But everybody's right ... it would be much better if we could see the (x)html in question. But basically, your good ol' fashioned HTML 3.2-type tags and attributes just aren't going to cut it here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-06-2013 at 05:53 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
mont555

Thank you all for your quick reply,

Below are some of the errors, all of them are in the OEBPS/Text/ .html

element 'font' is not allowed for content model '(a|br|span|bdo|map|object|img|svg|tt|i|b|big|smal l|em|strong|dfn|code|q|samp|kbd|var|cite|abbr|acro nym|sub|sup|input|select|textarea|label|button|ins |del|script)'

Code:
<h1 align="center" id="sigil_toc_id_35" style="margin-right: 1.26cm; margin-bottom: 2cm;"
element 'font' is not allowed for content model '(a|br|span|bdo|map|object|img|svg|tt|i|b|big|smal l|em|strong|dfn|code|q|samp|kbd|var|cite|abbr|acro nym|sub|sup|input|select|textarea|label|button|ins |del|script)'

Code:
  -->

Code:
 <p class="first"><span style="font-size: large;">This is to certify that this digital book

Code:
<p align="center" style="margin-right: 1.26cm; margin-bottom: 0cm"><font face="Verdana,

Code:
<p style="margin-right: 1.26cm; margin-bottom: 0cm"><font face="Verdana, sans-serif"><br /></font></p>

Code:
<p align="center" style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><font size="6">Treatise on</font></p>

Code:
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><a href="../Text/Ch001.html"><font size="4">1.&nbsp;The Level
attribute 'align' is not declared for element 'h1'

Code:
<body style="border-style: none; padding: 0cm; direction: ltr;" xml:lang="en-GB"
attribute 'face' is not declared for element 'font'

Code:
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="font-size: large;">The legend
no declaration found for element 'font'

Code:
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="font-size: large;">
attribute 'align' is not declared for element 'p'

Code:
-->
attribute 'align' is not declared for element 'h2'

Code:
<body dir="ltr" style="border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style:
I add the css style just in case it might help:

Code:
body { 
margin-left : 4%; 
margin-right : 4%; 
margin-top : 4%; 
margin-bottom : 4%; 
} 
p { 
margin-top : 10px; 
margin-bottom : 20px; 
text-indent : 15px; 
} 
p.first { 
text-indent : 0em; 
}
a { 
text-decoration : none; 
} 
h1 {
text-align: center;
}
The code came from the html generated from OpenOffice.org and I did some minor tweaks, and I did not dare to touch much just in case I made matters worse. I need to have this sort it out by tomorrow, I hope it has an easy solution.
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont555 View Post
I need to have this sort it out by tomorrow, I hope it has an easy solution.
A deadline?
I'm out.

But seriously... get rid of all the
Code:
align="xxxx"
stuff like I mentioned in my previous post, and you're most of the way done.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was going to make a good suggestion, but because you've come here asking for help without telling us you are doing this as a job, I am not going to be helping. I am not going to be doing your job for you.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-06-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Learn proper HTML and CSS. The guide from Pablo on this site is a good start and of course the sites of W3C. That is the best advise I can give you.
It is all in your source. If the quality of the source file is not too good, it will not work. Also, learn how to make use of stylesheets...

You cannot learn how to fly in a day, not even with deadlines.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You are using "align" attributes and <font> elements, that's old HTML and an ePub requires XHTML+CSS instead. Convert "align" and <font> into CSS styles and those errors should vanish.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
sure, an' it's past your deadline, but...

In your Open Office, install the "Writer2xhtml" export filter, available from the "writer2LaTeX" site. It will even export directly to epub format, with reasonable xhtml code (that still may require minor tweaks in Sigil).

HTH
Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
sure, an' it's past your deadline, but...

In your Open Office, install the "Writer2xhtml" export filter, available from the "writer2LaTeX" site. It will even export directly to epub format, with reasonable xhtml code (that still may require minor tweaks in Sigil).

HTH
Albert
I think he's missed his deadline given his issues and lack of knowledge.

I was going to suggest the same thing you did, but the real issue is coming here to get us to do his work when he doesn't know what he is doing and not telling us up front that he was giving this task and doesn't have a clue. I don't mind helping people, but I do mind being taken advantage of. If I find out after the person is asking for help that this is a paid job, I will stop helping and let the person know why and hope others will stop helping as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
mont555

Good evening everybody,

I'd like to warmly thank all who have helped me. It was really very
enlightening and helpful all your suggestions. I hope one day may
help others in this forum as you helped me. I'd just like to point out
that the "align" and <font> elements were generated by Sigil and that,
together with my ignorance, is why I didn't understand what was
going on. I thought Sigil was doing the things in the way it should be done.

And just to clarify things a bit, I did not say I had a 'dead line', I said: 'I had
to sort it out by tomorrow', to start the week doing other things, this was
not a paid job. I'm so very sorry I offended JSWolf so much, I hope next time
not to be so emotional and to to come across more clearly.

Once again thank you for your help.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont555 View Post
I'd just like to point out
that the "align" and <font> elements were generated by Sigil and that,
together with my ignorance, is why I didn't understand what was
going on. I thought Sigil was doing the things in the way it should be done.
To put it quite bluntly: Sigil did no such thing.
I don't know where the <font> elements and all the "align" attributes did come from, but I can assure you that they weren't generated by Sigil.

Glad you got it sorted, though!