Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-24-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
arvinder
arvinder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N72
.PDB Encrytpion in ereader

Hi All,

I have converted my XML book into .PML(palm makup language) and further into .PDB (palm data base). Now i want this to encrypt so that when i open it in ereader it ask for book id and password.

Which ereader can encrypt my .PDB data. The free downloaded ereader i used not made it encrypt.

If anybody have done it pls. let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
Arvinder Sharma
arvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Encryption is done when you create the ebook. The reader is simply cabable of decrypting a book delivered in encrypted form.

How did you create the PDB file?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:29 AM   #3
arvinder

Hi Dennis,

The steps i have taken to make .PDB are as follows:

1. Created palm markup language file .PML by manually.
2. Dragged .PML file on a tool named dropbook.exe (ver 1.5.2) of palm inc., dropbook automatically converts .PML into .PDB file.
3. use ereader to view .PDB file.

Pls. let me know if there is any other tool or updated version which create encrypted .PML file.

Thanks & Regards,
Arvinder
Old 08-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
It's not the easiest method to my mind as the editor it uses leaves a *LOT* to be desired as far as size of display is concerned, but the Palm eBook Studio from eReader makes the generation of .pml and locked/encrypted .pdb files *much* faster. In essence, you:

1. Open the HTML or RTF file with eBook Studio
2. Insert page breaks and do format editing where needed.
3. Specify Author, Title, Publisher and the like in the Book Info section
4. Save resulting PML file (It's already inserted the appropriate PML markup code).
5. Make Locked Book. (It's the option right below Make Book on the File menu.)

Just go to eReader and download the program.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinder View Post
Hi Dennis,

The steps i have taken to make .PDB are as follows:

1. Created palm markup language file .PML by manually.
2. Dragged .PML file on a tool named dropbook.exe (ver 1.5.2) of palm inc., dropbook automatically converts .PML into .PDB file.
3. use ereader to view .PDB file.

Pls. let me know if there is any other tool or updated version which create encrypted .PML file.

Thanks & Regards,
Arvinder
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
It's not the easiest method to my mind as the editor it uses leaves a *LOT* to be desired as far as size of display is concerned, but the Palm eBook Studio from eReader makes the generation of .pml and locked/encrypted .pdb files *much* faster.
Is there any reason you have to use eBook Studio to do the markup? Can it import a file marked up in something else, and create a PDB file from it?
______
Dennis
Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm guessing that you've checked already into BookDesigner, and it doesn't support creation of protected content for eReader.

I believe that there is a commercial program for creating ebooks which could be used. Here is the page I was thinking about.... http://www.ereader.com/products/ebookstudio, but it doesn't say anything about locking or encrypting books. You might need to try the demo software.

Ooops... never mind. I see after posting that this was already covered above.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there any particular reason that you want to produce an eReader book? MobiPocket has (I believe - please correct me if I'm wrong) much wider circulation, and there's a free tool you can download from MP's web site for creating DRM-protected MP books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Actually, Palm eBook Studio *WILL* import .pml files for output to .pdb ebooks. Still, HarryT has a point, making them Mobipocket would allow for wider distribution - if you insist upon 'locked' ebooks.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Is there any reason you have to use eBook Studio to do the markup? Can it import a file marked up in something else, and create a PDB file from it?
______
Dennis
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Actually, Palm eBook Studio *WILL* import .pml files for output to .pdb ebooks.

Derek
Good to know. Something I just got pointed at elsewhere is Publsih Ebook. It's a freeware add-in for Word that takes a Word document and generates a PML file from it. According to the author, it's known to work in Word 2002/2003, but probably not in 2000 or in 2007, due to differences in VB functions in those versions. Looks like a neat solution for generating eReader books, with encryption via import to eBook Studio if desired.

Go here: http://pwp.netcabo.pt/Gorod/PublisheBook/tips.htm

(Untested by me, since I have Office 2000.)
______
Dennis
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
arvinder

Hi,

Palm estudio has two features in its one month trial version (lock the file and encrypt the files) but both are disabled.

When i tried to contact with customer care of estudio developer on ereader site the person said that the required version is not sold on site and will be provided to only trusted publisher like Publishing Dimensions.

After that i replied so many times to know how to build up trusted relationship to get the tool. But i got a copy of same response again and again like messages are typed. They have not even provided their phone nos. to call them.

Pls. if anybody has hands on experience on the createion of encrypted .PDB. pls. tell me or know about ereader customer support in better way.

Thanks & Regards,
Arvinder