Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Smile How do I transfer my Sony Reader books?

Hi!

I have had a Sony PRS-505 for a year now and would like to sell it and buy a Kindle 2.

How do I copy the books from the Sony to the Kindle 2? There doesn't seem to be an SD slot. Do I just hook it up to my PC and drag and drop the files on the Kindle?

Is there any conversion needed first.

Thanks in advance.

David
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Physically, that is the way you do it. What kind of files (extension) are they?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Welcome to MobileRead, detayls!

Books can be copied via USB to the Documents folder of the Kindle. The issue beyond this is whether they are a format the Kindle can read. Most formats can be converted to .prc which the Kindle can read. One of the exceptions to this would be Sony's proprietary format if it is DRMed. Here's a list of various formats that can be converted.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Is there any conversion needed first.
this is really the question. Sure you can copy the books from one to the other.

But, you will most likely have to convert them. Most ebooks that the Sony reads are either ePub or LRF or LRX (from the Sony store).

If you books are from the Sony store you are pretty much out of luck. Not gonna happen.

If the books are LRF you can use calibre to convert them to mobipocket format.

If the books are ePub you can use calibre to convert them, if they are not DRM protected via Adobe Digital Editions.

If the books are PDF, delete them and we will never talk of this again. Just kidding, they can be converted with calibre or other software but they are hit and miss.

If the books are .rtf you will need to load them into word and save them as text.

Hth,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy What??? I bought those books!

>> If you books are from the Sony store you are pretty much out of luck. Not gonna happen.

Hold on there. I bought those books from the Sony Store for a not inconsiderable chunk of change. I haven't read all of them yet.

Why can't I just copy the files I have?

Doesn't Kindle just convert them for me. I read something about sending them the files for 10 cents.

Thanks.

David
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Doesn't Kindle just convert them for me. I read something about sending them the files for 10 cents.
I think that is just for pdf files.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Hold on there. I bought those books from the Sony Store for a not inconsiderable chunk of change. I haven't read all of them yet.
If it's any consolation, if you get rid of your Sony you can still read those books on your pc through the Sony software.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
>> If you books are from the Sony store you are pretty much out of luck. Not gonna happen.

Thanks.

David
The Kindle can't convert books that have DRM on them, like the Sony books do. And the DRM of the Sony store books hasn't been broken yet.

Is there any reason you want to switch from the 505 to the Kindle 2? Just curious.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM.

Those books are encrypted to only work with a Sony reader activated to the account they were purchased with.

Just like when you buy Kindle books they will be encrypted for your specific kindle.

While DRM breaking is illegal many people have no qualms about doing it because "they paid for it". However, there is no tool out there to deDRM the Sony DRM that I am aware of.

BOb
Old 03-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
detayls
Addict

Thumbs down .... but I bought and paid for the books....

DRM... , thanks for the link PilotBob.

It will take me a while to digest that page. It seems to me that you are saying that there are two differences between my Sony books and the Kindle books.

First, they are all encrypted in some way and have my name inside.

Second, the format of the pages is different and since the content is encrypted there is no way to do a simple conversion.

I guess I need to rethink my need for an eBook reader having been screwed by Sony and having avoided further screwing from Amazon.

I'll check in from time to time but my Sony is headed for eBay and Amazon just lost a sale.

See you at the library!

Thanks for the help.

David
Old 03-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
First, they are all encrypted in some way and have my name inside.

Second, the format of the pages is different and since the content is encrypted there is no way to do a simple conversion.
Yes.

Quote:
I'll check in from time to time but my Sony is headed for eBay and Amazon just lost a sale.
However, 99% of the ebooks you buy for you Kindle you can remove the DRM. Of course, that's between you the FBI and your god.

BOb
Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
detayls
Addict

Remove the DRM...

>> However, 99% of the ebooks you buy for you Kindle you can remove the DRM. Of course, that's between you the FBI and your god.

What makes Kindle DRM removable and not Sony?

Don't have a God. Don't get the FBI reference.

David
Old 03-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
grooks
Wizard

Kindle's DRM has been broken whereas Sony's has not.

If you like your Sony you can always check out pdf ebooks from your local library (assuming they offer them). Very easy to do and lots of popular titles available.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
>> However, 99% of the ebooks you buy for you Kindle you can remove the DRM. Of course, that's between you the FBI and your god.

Different program, different filetypes. The one used for Kindle files has had its encryption broken; Sony's hasn't. Tech issue.

Quote:
Removing DRM is illegal. Sort of. The tools to remove DRM are illegal in the US, although the actual *act* of removing the DRM should be covered under personal use laws & such.

The FBI has not busted individuals for breaking decryption software, but they have busted people for distributing decryption methods. (We haz illegal maths in this country!) Whether your connection with your god allows you to break laws when you're not hurting anyone when doing so is your problem. (Lack of a deity would probably make that decision easier.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

David
Some nice engineer figured out how to decrypt .azw (Mobipocket) DRM with your unique PID (an ID based on the serial number of your device) and shared the scripts with us. A small percentage of the books at Amazon are Topaz format and still locked. Other nice engineers have shared scripts for decrypting other formats, too. Most recently Adobe's DRM for ePub and PDF were circumvented. No one's figured out how to do that with Sony's DRM yet. In an ideal world, any book I bought would be readable on any device but sadly that's not the case and many business are still trying to lock us in to their device + store combination. Hence the DRM. They say it's to prevent piracy but it obviously doesn't.

The FBI reference is because breaking DRM is arguably illegal here in the United States (as well as some other countries). To date, no one has be prosecuted or sued merely for removing DRM off their purchased books for their own personal use but we would be remiss if we didn't warn you about the potential risks.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote