Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Better PDF app with extras?

High all...I'm sure someone has asked something similar, but I haven't quite found the answer i need.

I have been looking for an app for use with Non-DRM PDFs for school. I need to be able to :
  • Remember my last reading location
  • handles built in TOC as well as user bookmarks
  • Highlight in different color
  • make notes on some of those highlights
  • make freehand annotations in the to the file

I do not mind if it is saved directly to the PDF, I actually may prefer it, as I use a separate file for class than the original in my library. I've tried an few (such as iAnnotatePDF, exPDF Reader, FoxIt MobilePDF) and found the laggy and/or lacking. Then found that the Adobe Reader app itself was allowing me to do what i wanted (or close enough). Unfortunately recently they updated, got rid of all my highlights, notes and annotations as well as the ability to do most of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
brouer
Enthusiast
brouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipedia

Device: Various Android devices
Moon+ Reader Pro and Mantano Premium both do all these. And do them very well, IMHO.
They're both fast too.

AFAIK, Moon syncs annotations across Android devices using Dropbox. I can test, if you'd like.
Mantano can sync too, but requires a paid subscription to Mantano Cloud, to do it.

Which is better, will be a matter of personal preferences, I think.
brouer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well i bought moon reader + will some amazon coins to use with my mother (and myself on occasion) but have not had a chance to play with it much. I did not know that it lets use multiple color highlight, freehand notes and save to the files itself [would be nice but not absolutely required if I can export i suppose]).

Last edited by gabby98; 09-10-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
brouer
Enthusiast
brouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipedia

Device: Various Android devices
No. Neither app saves the annotations to the PDF itself. They both use external files for that.
They can both share individual text annotations and Moon has some sort of import/export facility.

I don't know the formats used, nor whether only text notes are shareable or the freehand drawings are too.
brouer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast
spitfire_ch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
ezPDF reader does the trick. All kind of annotations are directly saved in the document itself and can hence easily be transferred to the PC or other devices. However, if you use an SD card and Android KitKat, you will require a workaround as described on the developers page (shame on Google for KitKat).
spitfire_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
ezPDF reader does the trick. All kind of annotations are directly saved in the document itself and can hence easily be transferred to the PC or other devices. However, if you use an SD card and Android KitKat, you will require a workaround as described on the developers page (shame on Google for KitKat).
Ezpdf is currently on sale on Google play for $2.16 and it's $3.99 in Amazon app store.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
gabby98
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Ezpdf is currently on sale on Google play for $2.16 and it's $3.99 in Amazon app store.
When I tried this one it kept crashing or not loading at all. I never really got to test it cause it just wouldn't work

ETA: and the reviews on Google are not confidence inspiring lol

Last edited by gabby98; 09-11-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast
spitfire_ch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
That's weird. I have been using it for about a year on my phone and my tablet without any problems. It's a much more fluent experience than Adobe Acrobat and the only application I know, that can get past googles SD-Card restricition (without rooting). Annotation works nicely and is fully embedded in the file. Maybe you can give it another try with a more recent version.

The only drawback: If you send suggestions to the developer team, you never get any feedback. But that's the case for many apps.

I similar app I had tested about a year ago ist Radaee PDF reader, which can also save your annotations in the file. I wanted to buy it to get all features, but couldn't due to a Paypal mobile bug. So I started looking again and found ezPDF which I am using since then.
spitfire_ch is offline   Reply With Quote