Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Windows 8 eReaders?

So, the 17" laptop died, and I really didn't need another laptop. A 20" screen sounded nice, and so, an HP Envy 20" Touchsmart AIO. I managed to get the laptop to disgorge its hard disk, duct-taped it into a 3.5-inch eSATA enclosure (it was a 2.5-inch) and pumped the laptop's 320 Gb over to the Envy's 1 Tb (it fit OK). Now I have all these ebooks.

Sigh. (OK, an embarrassment of riches is not really a tough problem compared to global warming or world peace.)

With Win8 you can have applications which run on notMetro or applications which run on the traditional Windows desktop. On the desktop, I wound up (for the moment) with my old friend fbreader and CoolReader, which I like on my Android handheld. Those cover almost all the possibilities. I think they're actually cousins under the skin, but they both have their virtues and faults and the two cover almost everything I need.

That leaves what to do in notMetro. I found quite a few epub options. Freda is good, and, surprisingly, so is Overdrive. I also like the look of Liberty. There's also one called Book Bazaar that holds some promise. Nothing for prc, mobi, pdb, fb2 or the other formats.

Does anyone have suggestions for Win8 notMetro (Modern?) ereader programs which handle anything other than epub?

Thanks,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Kindle is there so you should be able to get mobi working if you can find where it stores the books. Freda kept crashing on my Acer w500 tablet so I removed it.

I'm really more interested in epub3 so I can test making interactive books.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^Install Firefox and get the EPUBReader add-on. Not sure, but it may support ePub3.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jack, it may be a problem finding readers that work on Win8 and support dead formats, and it will be getting more difficult with every new iteration of Windows. I remember articles warning us of this around the turn of the century.. And how right they were! I still have books in .lit somewhere on some drive.

Now may be a good time to convert your prc and pdb to ePub or kf8.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Kindle on metro limited me to under 20 books. Downloaded from desktop and back to as many as I want.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Jack, it may be a problem finding readers that work on Win8 and support dead formats, and it will be getting more difficult with every new iteration of Windows. I remember articles warning us of this around the turn of the century.. And how right they were! I still have books in .lit somewhere on some drive.

Now may be a good time to convert your prc and pdb to ePub or kf8.
To paraphrase the bard: "Jesus, Mary & Elvis--That's a lot of books!"

So mass conversion of prc and pdb to mobi? I don't even want to think of clit and some kind of OEBC software for all those lits. I may have to not hate Calibre so much, at least temporarily; either that or write shell scripts to use the CLI versions of the converters. I was afraid of this answer. Shell scripts ... [shudder].

Thanks,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm

Yeah, I've been procrastinating on that front as well. Converting straight to ePub or KF8 may be better than to mobi, since mobi is on its way out as well. There will come a time when Amazon no longer supports it.

Funny, how those 5000 year old clay tablets can still be read today.....
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Yeah, I've been procrastinating on that front as well. Converting straight to ePub or KF8 may be better than to mobi, since mobi is on its way out as well. There will come a time when Amazon no longer supports it.

With calibre, back ups, and the Internets... I could see the weird formats of today being readable in thousands of years. Assuming, of course, we are still reading in that sense by then.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
They didn't have DRM back then to lock in formats either....
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
With calibre, back ups, and the Internets... I could see the weird formats of today being readable in thousands of years. Assuming, of course, we are still reading in that sense by then.
Hmm, the OP already hit a wall on Win 8. At some point, we need to finally say good bye to the trusted formats that started it all.... May they rest in peace.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

How many people in the world can read Cunei-form texts?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #12
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
^Install Firefox and get the EPUBReader add-on. Not sure, but it may support ePub3.
thank you thank you thank you thank you

for telling me that
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #13
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
They didn't have DRM back then to lock in formats either....
Yeah? just try converting Clay Format to Papyrus Format.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I an just imagine a scribe sitting there with a complicated 8 rune or hieroglyph passcode
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
How many people in the world can read Cunei-form texts?
Good point!