Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead115 View Post
Icarus eXcel is newer than Kindle DX and has a better processor. Why does it take so long to refresh a new page when dealing with PDF files?

On the other side, DJVUs files have a very good refresh rate.

Could that be a software issue?
Djvus files are very light... this is the best format for scannerized documents. So M92 it's faster with djvu files w.r.t. pdf files.
However, since these are scannerized files, vocabularies and other softwares that work with words or data of a text cannot be applied.

Kindle Doesn't support DJVU files... probably because a lot of books that you can free download from the web are on this format.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
dead115
dead115 began at the beginning.

Device: iCarus eXcel
Rephrasing my question:

Since Kindle DX (532 Mhz) is much faster handling PDF files than Icarus eXcel/Boox M92 (800 Mhz), could that be the result of software limitations?
dead115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Software matters, too. I use Linux on a dual-core processor and with the default viewer (Evince) it takes about 1-3 seconds to render the page of a scanned pdf (I think it takes more time when the document is initially opened, then it becomes faster). If I use mupdf as an alternative viewer, the rendering of the page is less than a second. Acrobat reader also renders the pages faster.

Last edited by slex; 04-20-2012 at 06:39 AM.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
Software matters, too. I use Linux on a dual-core processor and with the default viewer (Evince) it takes about 1-3 seconds to render the page of a scanned pdf (I think it takes more time when the document is initially opened, then it becomes faster). If I use mupdf as an alternative viewer, the rendering of the page is less than a second. Acrobat reader also renders the pages faster.
Djvu is usually faster than pdf for large scanned documents, so I always end up converting them if I plan to use them a lot.

It is worth noting that the M92 pdf viewer uses Acrobat's engine, that is usually quite fast, so it's a bit odd it is so slow to flip pages. I thought it rendered and cached the next page...

BTW it would be nice to have an alternative PDF viewer based on the mupdf rendering engine
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
Djvu is usually faster than pdf for large scanned documents, so I always end up converting them if I plan to use them a lot.
Hi,
How do you make the conversion PDF->DJVU ?
I'm interested in a solution for Linux, if possible.
Thanks
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It is worth noting that the M92 pdf viewer uses Acrobat's engine, that is usually quite fast, so it's a bit odd it is so slow to flip pages. I thought it rendered and cached the next page...

BTW it would be nice to have an alternative PDF viewer based on the mupdf rendering engine
Djvu is the format of choice for scanned documents for me, too. It was, after all, specifically created for this type of documents.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
slex
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hi,
How do you make the conversion PDF->DJVU ?
I'm interested in a solution for Linux, if possible.
Thanks
Variant 1
----------
pdf2djvu filename.pdf -o filename.djvu

This is quick and dirty, but it doesn't produce the best results (more suitable for conversion of text-based pdfs). The output djvu file is comparable in size with the original pdf.

Variant 2
----------
You can get better results if you put the pdf file in a separate directory. Then

pdfimages filename.pdf f

This will produce image files named f-001.pbm (if the pdf is black and white) ... or f-001.ppm (if it has color).

You have several options from then on.

Variant 2A
~~~~~~
Find a copy of the windows program DjVuSolo and install it with Wine. It works without any problems.

Then, if you have PBM files, you can add them directly to DjVuSolo. You choose File->Open->Type of file (pnm file) and select the first page. After the first page is added you go to Edit->Append Pages->Type of file (pnm file) and select all the other files by clicking on the second image file, then press the down arrow while holding shift until you select all the pages (if there are lots of pages, the program might appear to freeze - it doesn't - just give it some time - sometimes more than 5 minutes for a full-sized book of several hundred pages). After all the pages have been added, go to File-> Encode as DjVu -> Bundled -> [give the file a name and write it with the extension .djvu] -> Resolution (leave the default value - the program usually detects it), e.g. 300 and choose Bitonal from the radio button options.

The output file will be much smaller than the original pdf - probably 10 times - without visible loss of quality.

Variant 2B
~~~~~~

Get the program gscan2pdf from the repositories.

You can add pbm files directly into gscan2pdf. Then export as djvu. The file will be smaller than the original pdf - probably 2-3 times - but you are unlikely to achieve the compression in Variant 2A.

Variant 3
----------
Parse the image files through ScanTailor. This will produce the best results, but it is more time consuming. First, convert the files, so that they can be recognized by the program.

mogrify -format png *.pbm

Then add the directory with the png files into ScanTailor. After you process them, you will get files in a subdirectory called "out/". Add the files there into gscan2pdf or DjVuSolo. Export to djvu.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Variant 1
Very useful...
Added to the tweaks wiki.

I'm curious: Is there a particular reasons you folks don't add it on your own? Scared of clicking links?
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
slex
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
Very useful...
Added to the tweaks wiki.

I'm curious: Is there a particular reasons you folks don't add it on your own? Scared of clicking links?
Probably the main reason I don't do it is because I don't know how many people will find the tip useful. I think it is, but some might find it irrelevant. I think that the wiki should include tips that are generally useful and exclude more specific issues, which should be discussed only in the forum, or else the wiki will become overloaded.

That is why I write only here and leave it to others to decide if the tip should be added to the wiki.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Probably the main reason I don't do it is because I don't know how many people will find the tip useful. I think it is, but some might find it irrelevant. I think that the wiki should include tips that are generally useful and exclude more specific issues, which should be discussed only in the forum, or else the wiki will become overloaded.

That is why I write only here and leave it to others to decide if the tip should be added to the wiki.
I understand.

My point would be that everyone looking for a solution may feel the same when (or if) he finds it in the forum... but that ignoring irrelevant points in a structured Wiki is easier than browsing through a large number of (often endless) threads to find a tiny bit of information.

Most annoying situation in my eyes: I stumbled across some solution I didn't encounter the problem to, yet... and when I need it, I know that the information was 'somewhere' in a couple of dozen pages of 3-4 candidate threads. (even better when I don't remember the right keywords to search for it :P )
E.g.: I didn't feel the need to convert documents, yet

Anyhow: I'd like to encourage rather posting pointless information (which will eventually be put into a substructure by somebody else) than using the forum as a primary documentation medium.
That's why most of the wiki currently consists of links to the forum - just add pointers to relevant discussions... and I'd be amongst the folks appreciating it.

Cheers.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #26
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra tensei View Post
However, since these are scannerized files, vocabularies and other softwares that work with words or data of a text cannot be applied.
This is not quite correct.
It is possible to add a hidden text layer.
The quality of the OCRed text would, however, depend heavily on the quality of your scans.

Quote:
...Kindle Doesn't support DJVU files... probably because a lot of books that you can free download from the web are on this format.
It does not support djvu natively but you can use either Doukan or kpdfviewer for that purpose.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #27
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
This is not quite correct.
It is possible to add a hidden text layer.
The quality of the OCRed text would, however, depend heavily on the quality of your scans.

It does not support djvu natively but you can use either Doukan or kpdfviewer for that purpose.
Thak you very much for these informations... So, if kindle DX have had a touchscreen, i would have bought it.

About the original question of dead115, I think it is also a matter of firmwares.
(a little digression: until now i think software production still reaches is best in the western world... for example, even a big company like Samsung uses for its smartphones a western OS system, like google android or Windows 7/8... so, sorry if I'm too generic but no surprise if Kindle firmware is better and faster then Onyx firmware.

On the contrary, hardware production now is an eastern matter, but soon they probably will be competitive even in software).
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #28
dead115
dead115 began at the beginning.

Device: iCarus eXcel
Quote:
If I use mupdf as an alternative viewer, the rendering of the page is less than a second.
Quote:
Is there any alternative PDF viewer for M92?
dead115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
At the moment no. But anyone that's using qt and is compatible with qt-qws at least has a chance to run on our m92. though I don't know, how hard it really is to port e.g. libpoppler which is used by evince and okular ...
the mupdf engine doesn't look very promising concerning porting to qt, to be honest. I really doubt, that it's a good idea to put so much effort into porting it...
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #30
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
(a little digression: until now i think software production still reaches is best in the western world... for example, even a big company like Samsung uses for its smartphones a western OS system, like google android or Windows 7/8...
Well, it is more complicated. :-) It is hard to say where the software is produced. Many American companies used to have developers in Central/Eastern Europe and recently the development has been moved to India etc.

In time of internet the programmer may sit on the other side of the globe than the headquauters. The main problem is the timezones (to be able to communicate in real time) and cultural differences. :-(
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote