Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Whispersync between K3 and iPhone kindle app

I've been trying to figure out how to get 'last read location' to sync between my K3 and iPhone kindle app. It works great for books bought through Amazon, but I haven't (yet) been able to get it to work for non-Amazon books.

I've been searching these forums, but with rather limited success. There are lots of posts saying either that it works or that it doesn't. (Roughly equal numbers...)

Supposedly it relies on the ASIN field being filled in, which recent versions of Calibre does when converting to mobi.

Is there a trick to copy the books to the devices? (I read a lot about DiskAid or iPhoneFolders, neither of which I've managed to use properly...) I prefer to use the Calibre Content Server when copying to the iPhone, and USB cable or e-mail to transfer to the Kindle - Is that supposed to work?

I would expect to see something in the wiki section, a bit like this, but for iPhone. If I figure out how to do it I promise to write it!

I'm currently using kindle app version 2.8.5 and K3 firmware 3.3.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you have firmware 3.3, the sychronization of personal documents should work naturally with no hoops to jump though (Bullet 3):

Quote:
Dear Kindle Customer,

As a past user of the Kindle Personal Documents Service, we are pleased to let you know about some improvements:
• Your documents are now automatically archived in your Kindle library (you can control this from the Manage Your Kindle page at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle).
• Archived documents can be re-downloaded from your archive to the all-new Kindle and Kindle Touch devices, as well as Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3rd Generation--requires the latest software update v3.3 from www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates) – you will be able to find and download your documents from any of these devices that are registered to your account.
• Now (just as with Kindle books) Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for your documents (with the exception of PDFs) across devices.

We expect to extend these features to Kindle Fire and Kindle apps (such as Kindle Cloud Reader, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for PC, and Kindle for Mac) in the coming months.
I'm not sure if they've rolled that out to the mobile apps yet, but if not, I'm sure it won't be long.

So technically, calibre's behind the scenes ASIN-faking could actually hinder that new process.

Quote:
or e-mail to transfer to the Kindle - Is that supposed to work?
Previously, before the new personal document archiving service, the old method of syncing Last Page Read would definitely be broken by emailing the book to your Kindle.

A very large thread discussing the old method(s).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-09-2011 at 07:10 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Thank you for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not sure if they've rolled that out to the mobile apps yet, but if not, I'm sure it won't be long.
The latest iPhone Kindle app dates from the 8th of October, which was about a week before the worldwide rollout of the 3.3 firmware.

One would naïvely think that two releases so close to each other would be fundamentally functionally synchronized, but after working in the software business for 15 years I know that that's not necessarily the case.

Quote:
Previously, before the new personal document archiving service, the old method of syncing Last Page Read would definitely be broken by emailing the book to your Kindle.
OK, that's good to know. How about loading it into the iPhone kindle app? Is downloading into the Kindle app through Safari from the Calibre content Server supposed to work?

Quote:
Yes, I saw that, but there seems to be no firm consensus as to whether a specific method is supposed to work.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, that's good to know. How about loading it into the iPhone kindle app? Is downloading into the Kindle app through Safari from the Calibre content Server supposed to work?
I honestly don't know. I'd guess it would depend on where Safari is downloading the file _to_. The aforementioned thread implies that the file needs to be in a very particular location in the iPhone's (or the Kindle 4 iPhone program's) directory structure for the process to work. That's why most were using a third-party app to transfer the files to the iPhone manually.

I don't have a smart-type, app-phone to test these things on, myself, unfortunately (actually, I consider myself quite fortunate in that regard, but you get the gist ).
Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would go with the Personal Documents method as you will get syncing of farthest page read, highlights, bookmarks, etc. If you want to sideload books to an iPhone you will need to use an application like DiskAid on your PC to be able to view and copy to the correct iPhone folder. Its a PITA and quite frankly it didn't always work right in my case. Plus sideloaded books only synced farthest page read, they did not sync highlights and bookmarks.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #6
Popup
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I would go with the Personal Documents method as you will get syncing of farthest page read, highlights, bookmarks, etc.
Yes, but how is that supposed to work?

Right now I appear to be unable to 'deliver' my 'personal document' to the iPhone app.

I tried again, just now. I downloaded the latest news from the Economist (thank you Calibre!) and emailed the .mobi to <my.device>@kindle.com. I can then (from the on-line Amazon/Digital_account/Manage_your_kindle service) 'deliver' the document to my kindle, or ... nothing else:

Everything's greyed out except 'my kindle' - even the 'Kindle cloud reader!

Have these features not been fully rolled out yet? Or is it supposed to 'just work'?

Quote:
If you want to sideload books to an iPhone you will need to use an application like DiskAid on your PC to be able to view and copy to the correct iPhone folder. Its a PITA and quite frankly it didn't always work right in my case.
OK, It's not just me then. I was feeling pretty stupid, and I'm generally pretty computer-savvy. (I have been programming the beasts since the 1980's...)
Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
Popup
Zealot

Apparently it's not a bug but a feature.

According to the relevant help pages:
Quote:
Periodicals such as newspapers, magazines, and blogs, and personal documents cannot be viewed on Kindle for iPhone.
(from here)
and
Quote:
Blogs, periodicals and personal documents cannot be viewed on Kindle Cloud Reader.
(from here)

So, it looks like we're limited to sideloading using dodgy tools like DiskAid and the like.

What a shame.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Popup: Those quotes may just be amazon being honest about the limitations of their various apps at the moment. Hopefully a future update to the apps will bring personal doc delivery and syncing.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The following (from the announcement I quoted above) was published in October.
Quote:
We expect to extend these features to Kindle Fire and Kindle apps (such as Kindle Cloud Reader, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for PC, and Kindle for Mac) in the coming months.
Believe it or don't.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Popup
Zealot

Quote:
The following (from the announcement I quoted above) was published in October.
Quote:
Believe it or don't.
OK.

That ought to teach me to read the full post.
(but it probably won't)
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
OK.

That ought to teach me to read the full post.
(but it probably won't)
You're in good company
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, kindle, kindle app, whispersync