Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
IamtheWalter
IamtheWalter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Are there any Hard Shell Cases for the Kindle 3?

I just recently bought a kindle 3, and though it's not the sole purpose, one of the reasons I got it was to have a lot of my course materials (eg: powerpoint slides, syllabi, handouts, homework & practice problems) on there instead of weighing me down and getting lost in random folders. The Kindle however, is not meant to replace any textbooks: I like being able to physically flip back and forth through them, and this brings me to my problem: I'm very nervous carrying my kindle around in my backpack with at least 20 pounds of books.
I keep it in the outermost pocket, but it still makes me uncomfortable, and the official cover doesn't seem like it would protect it well enough.

I'm wondering if something like a hard shell padded case exists for the kindle 3.
I recently ordered what was called a "hard case" from someone on ebay, and it turned out to be a rather flimsy and flexible EVA zipper pouch designed for the K2. I googled a bit, and couldn't quite find anything that matched my criteria.

All I want is something that zips closed like a laptop case with a hard plastic exterior, and a foam interior that the kindle fits into snugly. It's not like I'm trying to buy a flying car.

Does such a thing exist (the hard case, not the flying car)?
IamtheWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Welcome to MobileRead IamtheWalter! Check out this thread for the Pad & Quill case for Kindle 3. It's not exactly what you're asking for but it may work for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I thought there was a rigid waterproof/floating case.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
On the iRex-forum I once saw a post about an aluminium case a soldier packed his ereader in for Afghanistan. I think he had it made somewhere. But where was that?

Last edited by desertblues; 11-05-2010 at 02:03 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
IamtheWalter
IamtheWalter began at the beginning.

I saw an aluminum case being sold for the K2. If I wait long enough, they'll probably make one for the 3, but none of the sites or ebay listings had good pictures of it.
It could be sturdy, but it could also be flimsy, since nowhere in any of the descriptions does it mention the thickness of the metal shell, just that it's "Aircraft Grade" which, not being given the actual alloy number, is just a meaningless marketing gimmick. For $15 or $20, I'd give it a shot though.

The one thread I found about a military grade kindle case used a pelican case with a "pick and scoop" foam insert.

I'm actually thinking that will be what I'll do (with a much smaller case, since I don't quite need as much protection) if I can't find anything pre-made on the market.

An mcover and EVA case might also be a good idea but even though the market seems to be for covers, so far I actually prefer to read my kindle naked (the kindle being naked, not I).
IamtheWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hi,

Welcome to Mobileread. I have a hard case for my K3. It's made by Case Logic, got it over at Best Buy. I'd gotten it for my jetbook, but the Kindle 3 fits in just right. It's pretty hard shelll, I think.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
i'm waiting for my MCover to come through, though the hard shell on the screen as well can make it a bit reflective. I then put it in a fabric pouch.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
medievalpacman
medievalpacman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
yeah don't get owned like me, I had textbooks in my backpack and the screen for my kindle 3 broke even though it was in a spot that look near impossible of being broken.

Message me if you find any hard cover case, I'll do the same.
medievalpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Carryi...dp/B0049R99F2/

Try this?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
ryy8
ryy8 began at the beginning.

Aluminium case is out: review here. It is nice - 1.1mm aluminium, weighs only 153 grams (in comparison my official Kindle unlit case is 157 grams). You can pick them up on ebay for 1/3rd of the cost of the official case, plus they don't crash the Kindle (the original reason I started looking for a new 3rd party case).
ryy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
You might take a look at these:

http://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Wi.../dp/B00497VJX2

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Amaz.../dp/B004HIVBJ0

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote