Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: MRBC: December08 book vote - Please vote for TWO only.
The Time Machine - H. G. Wells 16 31.37%
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 6 11.76%
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens 9 17.65%
Three Men In A Boat - Jerome K Jerome 14 27.45%
Augustus Carp Esquire, by Himself: Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man - Sir Henry Howarth Bashford 5 9.80%
The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 17 33.33%
The Man Who Was Thursday - G. K. Chesterton 10 19.61%
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald 12 23.53%
Dracula - Bram Stoker 7 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since this is December's book, why not keep the poll open until at least the 29th? That would give the 30th to actually download and install the book and then start reading on the 30th or 1st.
I just went by the schedule that Joanne posted in the Welcome Message. It was actually opened a day longer than that.

I would suggest that you bring up these suggestions in the Welcome sticky thread so these decisions can be made. Posting this after the poll is closed doesn't provide the chance to make the change.

Although, I don't see what difference it would make. I assume 4 days was enough time for everyone to vote. Also, knowing a bit ahead of time doesn't hurt anyone.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well if the voting was opened a little bit longer, it might mean that The Time Machine might either tie or win.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please note that this book is included in the "Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" available for download here in both Sony Reader and MobiPocket formats.
Since the omnibus is in chronological order, you get a real feel for Sherlock Holmes when starting from the beginning.....Hound of the Baskervilles is, I believe, the 3rd story in...

Last edited by desertgrandma; 11-25-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: correction
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well if the voting was opened a little bit longer, it might mean that The Time Machine might either tie or win.
Possibly. Of course, nothing from keeping you from reading Time Machine and starting a thread about it. I plan to read it anyway... but Hound is very good indeed. I am up to about chapter 5 I think.

BOb

BTW: The poll closed automatically by the forum based on my telling it to be open for 4 days. I didn't close it manually to ensure that Hound would win.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #35
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Hound of the Baskervilles[/FONT] by Sir Author Conan Doyle has been selected as the MRBC book for December 08.
I am already reading it and I know many are going to enjoy this one.
For those who thought 'A Passage to India' was dull; I've read the first chapter of 'HotB', and so far it's been an exhilarating tale about a stick.

Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #36
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
For those who thought 'A Passage to India' was dull; I've read the first chapter of 'HotB', and so far it's been an exhilarating tale about a stick.

Yes, but it is a very special stick.

It gets better and I've enjoyed it so far.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #37
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes Omnibus is available in LRC, PRC, & IMP.

IMP - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=295904
LRF - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10153
PRC - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12677

The IMP editions I created from HarryT's well made PRC edition.
If anyone has a formatted .fb2, I'd appreciate a copy. If not I'll have to get it converted soon as I have time
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
If anyone has a formatted .fb2, I'd appreciate a copy. If not I'll have to get it converted soon as I have time
Give HarryT a PM. Since he converted the Complete Sherlock Holmes using Book Designer, it would be a simple matter for him to generate a FB2 edition.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

OF course you are kidding. The dialog about the "stick" was more interesting and compelling than much of the dialog in APTI.

I tell you I am on about chapter 7 and this books is a page [screen?] turner.... Once I finish this I am going to go back and read the full omnibus for sure!

BOb
Old 11-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
But the V3 can display the PRC edition. So why is it you need a Fb2 edition when then PRC will do?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #41
rlanger
rlanger began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OF course you are kidding. The dialog about the "stick" was more interesting and compelling than much of the dialog in APTI.

I tell you I am on about chapter 7 and this books is a page [screen?] turner.... Once I finish this I am going to go back and read the full omnibus for sure!

BOb
Yes, I'm on chapter 7 as well and I'm quite enjoying it too. It's my first Holmes, but certainly won't be my last.
rlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #42
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
Yes, I'm on chapter 7 as well and I'm quite enjoying it too. It's my first Holmes, but certainly won't be my last.
I'm almost finished with the "Hound" and awesome read. I'll be reading the rest after I finish the Count.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #43
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
But the V3 can display the PRC edition. So why is it you need a Fb2 edition when then PRC will do?
Mobi support on the V3 leaves a lot to be desired (or so I've heard).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Mobi support on the V3 leaves a lot to be desired (or so I've heard).
It's true it's not all that is can be and there is no dictionary support. But the photos (someplace on MR) of the V3 and Gen3 displaying a Mobipocket eBook, I'd say the V3 won hands down. Lesser margins and lesser line space make a big difference to me.