Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #286
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It is time to download the newest version so we're all on the same page. Go to the first post in this thread and click on the link to find the newest plugin.
Actually dwanthy this is a different plugin to those I have officially updated recently, being the "Quick Preferences" one. I made a change to the version on this thread to see if it would resolve his issue and posted it on RapidShare via a PM just for him.

Maybe I shall have to dig up a linux distro and setup a share or something so I can experiment myself. It would be nice if I could test some other plugins on linux too.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #287
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Actually dwanthy this is a different plugin to those I have officially updated recently, being the "Quick Preferences" one. I made a change to the version on this thread to see if it would resolve his issue and posted it on RapidShare via a PM just for him.
Now that you mention it is obvious. It's amazing how the mind will morph words into what you expect to see. That's one reason I try to include a screen capture with a lot of my advice, sort of cuts through the confusion. Unfortunately it's hard to cut through your own confusion.

Quote:
Maybe I shall have to dig up a linux distro and setup a share or something so I can experiment myself. It would be nice if I could test some other plugins on linux too.
Sounds like a plan. I just freed up a computer at the house, may be time to set it up dual boot with a sizable linux partition.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #288
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Can we move this thread up to the new Plug-ins Sub Forum?
(I don't want to see it disappear into "the crowd")

Ideally Mr/Ms Admin, it would be great to split this out into separate threads for each plug-in .. just saying (oh and just delete this post after move)
Old 01-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #289
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcle View Post
Can we move this thread up to the new Plug-ins Sub Forum?
(I don't want to see it disappear into "the crowd")

Ideally Mr/Ms Admin, it would be great to split this out into separate threads for each plug-in .. just saying (oh and just delete this post after move)
Done. I'll leave the splitting to kiwidude, though, since this is essentially his thread.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #290
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Done. I'll leave the splitting to kiwidude, though, since this is essentially his thread.
Thanks Manichean. I've got a non-functional laptop at the moment after Ubuntu destroyed my MBR and rebooting up my laptop leaves me at the ever helpful "grub rescue" prompt. Currently downloading a Live CD. Sodding l*nux...

Hopefully I'll be up and running again soon and then I can look into reorganising this into split threads etc, will need to get my head around the admin tools first so I don't make a pigs ear of it.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #291
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
It might be easiest just to create new threads for each plugin instead of trying to split them, and create a new sticky to hold the info from the first post in this thread with links to the new posts (instead of links to single posts), and then to just close this thread.

In any case, thanks kiwidude for all the plugin info - its made it a lot easier to get started with plugins and given great examples.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #292
marvin_2
marvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm thinking of adding some more features to the "Quick Preferences" plugin. Such as the ability to switch the "Save template" for those of you who have different requirements for multiple devices/outputs. If anyone has any further ideas/suggestions for other preferences they end up changing frequently as they "do stuff" let me know.
Calibre is now really powerful with the custom sort options for authors & titles. Getting the configuration right in the Tweaks-section can be a bit challenging at times, though, and re-populating the sort_by columns is not always straightforward.

A quick-preference for setting the sort options would be nice, and an option to redo the sort_by columns (currently via bulk-edit for authors and via single-book metadata for title) would be terrific.

I am not using the custom sort very often now, but would like to be able to adapt the sort order on the fly to the internet source I am using to find metadata.

PS: Nice job on the internet search & open with-plugins.

PPS: Ideas/Suggestions might make a good topic for a new (sticky) thread in the subforum
Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #293
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to see the new Intro to Plugins sticky up. Looks great. A few trivial comments if you're interested:

"There is no need to extract the zip file" could be a be more direct: "Do not extract the zip file"

For debugging, you can also restart Calibre in debug mode by selecting the down arrow attached to the Preferences icon, and selecting "Restart Calibre in debug mode"

Rereading the intro pointed out the ability to customise plugins - so I think I'll take a look at that as a replacement for the tweaks code I used to allow changes in my collections plugin.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #294
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
A question regarding the quick preferences plugin or maybe a new one is needed, but would it be possible to create a plugin for a context menu that would keep a login of directories to add books from, maybe a list of 5 or so? Or maybe a toolbar dropdown menu?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #295
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
It might be easiest just to create new threads for each plugin instead of trying to split them, and create a new sticky to hold the info from the first post in this thread with links to the new posts (instead of links to single posts), and then to just close this thread.
Yeah today will be the day of action on this, as you saw I added the sticky last night (thanks for your comments, have made changes you suggested).

I am a little in two minds about the splitting/new threads thing. I really want this thread to be deleted for these reasons:
(1) It contains a lot of error reports or instructions for older versions of the plugin that are no longer relevant that I don't want a new user to have to read through.
(2) It contains info for plugins that either are or will shortly be deprecated.
(3) I don't want it coming up in search results for the confusion it could add to newer users.

However there are a lot of very good posts within it that I certainly want kept - ideas for new plugins, positive feedback of course etc. I think those should be moved into relevant new threads.

If people have violent objections to me "rewriting history" by my moving just the "useful stuff" into new threads and deleting the rest please say so. Plan B is as you say to just start new threads and lock this one. I tried a PM to the lead forum admin but no response as yet, I'll try one to Kovid as well for any objections.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #296
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin_2 View Post
Calibre is now really powerful with the custom sort options for authors & titles. Getting the configuration right in the Tweaks-section can be a bit challenging at times, though, and re-populating the sort_by columns is not always straightforward.

A quick-preference for setting the sort options would be nice, and an option to redo the sort_by columns (currently via bulk-edit for authors and via single-book metadata for title) would be terrific.

I am not using the custom sort very often now, but would like to be able to adapt the sort order on the fly to the internet source I am using to find metadata.

PS: Nice job on the internet search & open with-plugins.

PPS: Ideas/Suggestions might make a good topic for a new (sticky) thread in the subforum
Let me come back to you on this one once I get the threads sorted in this sub-forum, I have some thoughts/comments. I like your idea for a sticky thread, I will be sure to do that and your post will be moved to it.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #297
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Rereading the intro pointed out the ability to customise plugins - so I think I'll take a look at that as a replacement for the tweaks code I used to allow changes in my collections plugin.
Yeah, can't recomment doing this highly enough - well now that I know "how" which I didn't originally. Apart from the user friendliness factor it also means you don't have to restart Calibre every time the user makes a configuration change.

At least now you have plenty of examples from my plugins of what you need to do, I was fumbling in the dark. If people want it I may add a post of some "development tips" to the Introduction sticky covering topics like this. There is a lot I have learnt from trial and error and bugging Kovid/chaley etc that others may find helpful covering things like embedded resources, splitting the code, site customization vs configuration dialogs etc. Or you can just look at the "net result" in a plugin like "Search the Internet" of course...

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-27-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #298
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
If people have violent objections to me "rewriting history" by my moving just the "useful stuff" into new threads and deleting the rest please say so. Plan B is as you say to just start new threads and lock this one.
Well if you're willing to put the effort to split the thread, then I can see why you'd want to clean things up. As long as each plugin gets its own thread (maybe plugin thread titles can be of the form Plugin: name, like I used for mine to distinguish them from other posts) with its own comments its ok with me. You could always create a new thread labelled old posts or something to make it clear its old - but then it might not read well if most posts are moved elsewhere.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #299
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Yeah, can't recomment doing this highly enough - well now that I know "how" which I didn't originally. Apart from the user friendliness factor it also means you don't have to restart Calibre every time the user makes a configuration change.

At least now you have plenty of examples from my plugins of what you need to do, I was fumbling in the dark. If people want it I may add a post of some "development tips" to the Introduction sticky covering topics like this.
Yeah, your examples helped a lot to say the least. But only being okay in python meant I was still fumbling quite a bit. I can clearly see how you are handling things now, but I started with basic stuff since I couldn't quite grasp what you had - until I built mine up enough to realize what you were doing and why.

Developer tips would be greatly welcome. I struggled with even figuring out how to reference a specific variable until Kovid pointed out where it was in the code. And I'm still not sure if you can import more than one .py source file from the zip file (so I just dumped it into one file). You're right that the code is the best place to look though. However, sometimes its overwhelming and there's a big difference between what epub editing and search the internet needs. Your approach to try to structure it into copyable code is great - now I just need to revisit mine.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #300
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Ok folks, I've got some suggestions from Kovid. I'm going to close this thread, create new ones for each of the plugins and put links to them from this one. (I'm also going to remove all the attachments etc so people don't accidentally download old versions). Plus of course there will be a sticky for a Plugins index that I've mentioned in the introduction thread.

I have created an "Plugin ideas" sticky thread. For those of you with recent questions/suggestions, I have quoted you in replies there instead of moving your posts.

See you on the other side (I hope).

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-27-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Closed Thread