Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Displaying Metadata for the kindle

Is there any way of displaying metadata on your kindle? I have books that I haven't read yet and sometimes you need a brief synopsis when deciding what book to read.

I realise that from the home screen when you have the book selected you can 'right click' on the 5 way pad to access additional data, is there any way of adding notes from your PC to the kindle that would appear under 'My Notes & Marks' for example?

I'm also aware that with books purchased from Amazon there is an additional heading; 'Book Description' which takes you to that particular book's page on the Amazon store, but I would prefer info that is stored locally.

I know that the metadata is usually held in a .opf file, is there any way of importing that into the kindle and if so where would you put it? And where would you access it from?

Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I know of no way for this to work with books you've bought from Amazon. But for other books you can use Calibre to add the metadata to the beginning of the book when you transfer/convert the book. Not ideal, but better than nothing perhaps. I use it for some books, especially books in series so I know which is which.
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
There is no way for this to work on the Kindle itself unfortunately
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Can metadata be added to drm kindle books in Calibre or do those books have to be converted (drm-stripped) for the metadata to be added? I was thinking the same as the OP last night. I see a place for comments in Calibre's meta screen and thought a bit of synopsis would be nice for all the various books I've got.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
You do not need to remove DRM in Calibre to adjust the metadata although I recommend that you just put the plug-in into Calibre and remove the DRM personnally. It is a real PITA to redownload all your books everytime you switch eReaders.

There is a filed for notes/summary - that you can either add manually or look up using one of the online databases. You can also adjust the title, author .. add in the Series Info etc etc
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
you can use Calibre to add the metadata to the beginning of the book when you transfer/convert the book. Not ideal, but better than nothing perhaps. I use it for some books, especially books in series so I know which is which.
Thanks RexGalore, I do use calibre and import the appropriate metadata from within calibre, but I cannot see it when I export the book to the kindle, maybe I'm missing something obvious here or is rcuadro right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
There is no way for this to work on the Kindle itself unfortunately
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
rcuadro is correct. The Only Metadata which displays on the Kindle is Book Title and Author
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
mean_gene
Enthusiast
mean_gene began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/Wifi
You could just add a note to the first page of the book (while on the kindle) with a description/summary; maybe copy the description from Amazons site.
mean_gene is offline   Reply With Quote