Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Browsing in offline mode on Kindle DX

Hello All

I recently got my Kindle DX. I'm in Europe, so naturally can't use the wireless service to browse online.

But I was hoping that at the very least I'd be able to browse offline or view interlinked HTML files natively. I'm aware that changing the extension of html files to .txt works, but of course it doesn't give you the opportunityto navigate within and between HTML files.

I'm also aware that some users have been able to browse offline documents by setting up an HTML folder and entering something like the following URL in the experiemental browser: file:///mnt/us/html/myhtml.html

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. When I switch on the wireless function and enter the URL, my Kindle stops responding at which point I need to reboot. Maybe I'm missing something?

Any suggestions of feedback on this would be hugely appreciated.

On a separate note, is anyone aware of any attempts to get the Kindle DX wireless technology to work outside the US.

Thanks!!
S
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You could always convert the html files to Mobipocket format with Mobipocket Creator, Publisher edition (free from Mobipocket.com). It's pretty easy. Just make sure to add all files needed for the build, including images.

By the way, it doesn't use wireless, it uses cellular (EVDO 3G) technology, just to be clear.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Susan

Thanks for the suggestions and the correction. I guess I could have a go. But just to clarify, can mobipocket create an ebook from a downloaded website. If so how would it recognize the index.html page? Also does it create all the pages with all the links?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The links need to be relative links, so you might have to edit the HTML. Normally, one does not download a whole web site, but one web page at a time. You can specify multiple files in Mobipocket Creator, using the "Add file" button on the main file screen. Also, try http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/ for converting a web page to a more friendly format.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre might work better. See multi-page HTML with images to ePub or LRF. In that case, wget -k or WinHTTrack was used to make a local copy of the web pages and then either Calibre of MobiPocket Creator to make the ebook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Susan,

Great link on readability for the web. Will check it out. And might have a go with Calibre -- thanks, wallcraft!

BTW, I stumbled on these steps for the Kindle 2 to read HTML natively:

1. tether to your computer
2. using Explorer/Finder, create a new folder at top level, e.g. ‘html’
3. copy your HTML files to the new folder
4. untether
5. launch Kindle browser (’Experimental’ from Home menu)
6. ‘yes’ if it asks to turn on wireless (or it won’t launch)
7. ‘Enter URL’ from browser menu (or navigate to URL entry field)
8. type ‘file:///mnt/us/html/myhtml.html’
9. HTML file loads
10. Bookmark it so you don’t have to type it again..

Can anyone confirm that it works for the Kindle DX outside the US coverage area.

Thx
S
Old 07-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You could always convert the html files to Mobipocket format with Mobipocket Creator, Publisher edition (free from Mobipocket.com). It's pretty easy. Just make sure to add all files needed for the build, including images.

By the way, it doesn't use wireless, it uses cellular (EVDO 3G) technology, just to be clear.
Eventually 3G will be phased out, so hopefully the new Kindle will have a more flexible Wi-fi solution.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
Eventually 3G will be phased out, so hopefully the new Kindle will have a more flexible Wi-fi solution.
Can you say WiMax? Sure you can.

;>
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Hang on a sec, guys. Are you saying that the current Kindle DX is already set up for Wi-Fi should Amazon choose to discontinue its 3G service? If so, I wonder if its a matter of time before someone figures out a way of tricking the hardware to pick up wi-fi signals.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:32 AM   #10
dongdongliushui
dongdongliushui began at the beginning.

Device: fujitsu p1610
yes that's really cool
dongdongliushui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Hang on a sec, guys. Are you saying that the current Kindle DX is already set up for Wi-Fi should Amazon choose to discontinue its 3G service? If so, I wonder if its a matter of time before someone figures out a way of tricking the hardware to pick up wi-fi signals.
I read that there was a perfect spot for what would be a Wi-Fi module inside
but that it's not got a module put into it. Ready for one for whatever reason though. I suspect it'll be used in Europe sooner than here.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Hang on a sec, guys. Are you saying that the current Kindle DX is already set up for Wi-Fi should Amazon choose to discontinue its 3G service?
No, it isn't. But the comms module is "modular" and it should be pretty straightforward for Amazon to replace the current EVDO module with a WiFi one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Or perhaps they'll stick with the 'EVDO module' and offer a European 3G service. Call me cynical, but I suspect it will be much later than sooner. The US market is still in its infancy, and one assumes lessons are being learnt. Frankly, a lot of progress needs to be made on much simpler matters: folder management, better PDF navigation, and perhaps the inclusion of a wider range of formats: HTML to start with.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Or perhaps they'll stick with the 'EVDO module' and offer a European 3G service. Call me cynical, but I suspect it will be much later than sooner. The US market is still in its infancy, and one assumes lessons are being learnt. Frankly, a lot of progress needs to be made on much simpler matters: folder management, better PDF navigation, and perhaps the inclusion of a wider range of formats: HTML to start with.
I agree entirely re folders and activelinks, notes in PDF, say, but there is movement to have a UK version before Xmas too.

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009...-uk-maybe.html

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Interesting.... though I wonder where that would leave those of us who have bought a US Kindle and wish to use it in the UK. It would make sense of course to enable it to work seamlessly between US and UK, giving it an international dimension. But another thought comes to mind: what about the Canadian cousins? I mean, it seems odd that plans are afoot in the UK, yet the Kindle is still not accessible in Canada.