Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Is this a good way to make kids to read?

"I watch a lot of Hulu since we don't want to pay for TV, and this commercial keeps being played over and over again. What I don't get is why anyone would think that showing clips from a movie would get anyone to read a book? Surely they would be more likely to simply want to watch or re-watch the movie instead? Maybe it is just a counter intuitive ad, but I think that this little promo is less likely to get anyone to read. Agree or disagree?"

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/161976...rince_caspian/

What do you think?

Font: Grasping the wind blog
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best way to encourage (and I don't like the word "make" - trying to "make" someone read will inevitably turn them against it) is for books to be a part of their everyday life from infancy. I can't remember a time when I didn't read - by the time I was 10, I'd devoured the entire contents of my parents' bookshelves and was reading half a dozen books a week from the local library!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It was the same with me. And I had finished all the primary school readers by the time I was eight, so they just gave me the run of the school library.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Make books more interesting to kids of today, perhaps a ebook reader that resembles a Gameboy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Make books more interesting to kids of today, perhaps a ebook reader that resembles a Gameboy
You are joshing, right? Tell me you were just joshing.

You instill a love of reading in children when they are infants. You read to them daily, in small doses at first, of course.

As they grow, you read to them nightly, from colorful books, letting them choose the stories.

You read the same book to them 47 times in a row if they want.

When they can, you let them start reading to you. You listen patiently, you don't' try to do other things while they are reading. You help with the really hard words, and encourage them to sound them out.

You insist they learn their spelling words from school. Even if it means they write them 10 times each every night.

EVERY NIGHT you read or allow yourself to be read to, sometimes both. It doesn't have to be a long story.

Do this from infancy, and you have a reader.

You can't "MAKE" children love to read, but you can instill it in them.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Do this from infancy, and you have a reader.

You can't "MAKE" children love to read, but you can instill it in them.
Desertgrandma, you are sooooooo right. I agree completely. BUT: What do you do with a teenager who was never read to by his parents and who says he just can´t stand books? My nephew is one of those “never-read-anything-until-some-stupid-teacher-will-force-me-to”-child. But guess what - my Cybook catched his interest. Now he´s figuering out if the English book he has to read for school is available as an ebook, because it would be so much cooler to read (yes, READ!!!) that boring stuff on his notebook. So I guess, Ervserver could be right as well...
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Desertgrandma, you are sooooooo right. I agree completely. BUT: What do you do with a teenager who was never read to by his parents and who says he just can´t stand books? My nephew is one of those “never-read-anything-until-some-stupid-teacher-will-force-me-to”-child. But guess what - my Cybook catched his interest. Now he´s figuering out if the English book he has to read for school is available as an ebook, because it would be so much cooler to read (yes, READ!!!) that boring stuff on his notebook. So I guess, Ervserver could be right as well...
It also helps if you can find a book that the boy wants to read.
I briefly had a summer job in literacy training, and I would occasionally find that young men who hated reading would like Terry Pratchett, J K Rowling, or Star Trek books.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Desertgrandma, you are sooooooo right. I agree completely. BUT: What do you do with a teenager who was never read to by his parents and who says he just can´t stand books?
Unfortunately I suspect it's too late by that stage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
It also helps if you can find a book that the boy wants to read.
I briefly had a summer job in literacy training, and I would occasionally find that young men who hated reading would like Terry Pratchett, J K Rowling, or Star Trek books.
Exactly. Every child has an interest.....you just have to help them find it. And I have if he loves reading on your reader, great!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
I may give Star Trek a try, thank you, Patricia. I´ve already tried the others, also the Borribles and some comics and Japanese animes...

HarryT, you are probably right, but I will give it at least one more year before I give up
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
HarryT: I think it makes it more difficult, not impossible. I myself have a son that didn't read alot when he was younger. He doesn't live with me and I had a tough time influencing that. Thankfully as he got older he began to take my advice on different books and would start reading them at home. Now I'm all set (If ebookwise returns my email) to buy him an ebook reader for X-mas this year. And I even asked him whether that would interest him and he loved the idea.

I guess it is also what is instilled overall. His mother/step-father might not have had him reading, but he was never a 'bad' kid or completely aloof as so many are. And I always left that door open when he was with me.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I think that showing the clips from a movie, then telling the kid that the movies is based on a book could bridge the process to reading. My grandson is a big fan of the Mouse and the Motorcycle. He was surprised to find out that it was a book until I bought it to read to him. Now, I read all the Beverly McCleary books I can get for my Kindle to him whenever I have the chance.

I even let him have a hand free from the duct tape every now and then so he can scratch his nose. (Note to Human Services: Just kidding about hte duct tape.)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
If someone is not a reader when they are young, and it was not something that was part of their life growing up, then whether or not they become a reader later in life is going to depend, in part, on why they are not readers.

For example, there are some who are simply dyslexic. It is frustrating and extremely difficult for them to read because they don't perceive the letters in the same way most people do.

Then, you have the instant gratification folks ... if it's available as a TV show or a movie, then that's the way they want it. They don't care to put several hours, or several days, into teasing out of story from the printed page. They want it all neat and sewn up in 30 minutes or 2 hours.

I do remember my mother reading to me as a child, but during the period I learned the most about reading and learned to love it beyond most other activities (between the ages of 2 and 4), I was not with my mother, so I learned to read simply to keep myself entertained.

These days, if I were simply a child trying to keep myself from boredom, I might turn to something other than a book .... DVD, gameboy .... simply because they are available. They weren't for me. There was only barely TV when I was growing up, so I really can't compare my experience to that of a child growing up today.

However, that said, if I was trying to get a child today to learn to love reading, and assuming for the moment that there was no hard wired reason that they might not be able to read, I would probably keep an eye on the movies and TV shows that they really love, and then start guiding them towards the fan fiction related to those shows. Once they learn that there is a lot of entertainment out there that is not in film form, and that is wonderfully portable, the reading habit might start sneaking up on them.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
I think the only thing that kept me interested in reading was the fact that my parents never let me watch TV as a child. And there were no video games in the house either. If that was my mom's goal, she was successful because I ended up majoring in literature But I do like video entertainment of all kinds now, since I was deprived of it as a child.
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'll say that part of the solution to encouraging reading is to have an atmosphere where reading is common and encouraged.

My parents and most of my extended family read a lot and as such, reading was considered a normal part of life, something everyone did. With most being professionals, with collage degrees, and having grown up near a University campus, Reading was one of the price sources of getting information and entertainment, especially as they were never very well off.

The fact the we kids were reading a few years ahead of our year group was not really considered any thing extraordinary, with all of us having access to quiet advanced books, and with adults more then willing to explain difficult concepts.

Having said that, getting someone into reading, especially if they have not been that interested in reading in the past is a bit of a uphill task especially with all the other alternatives available (I plead guilty to spending more time online then reading nowadays).

If they are interested in SF or fantasy, it may be a little easier as there are a ton of books and authors extending existing universes and creating new ones. Easier to start them off with novelization of TV series if they are intrested, and slowly work through them to other worked by those authors, and hopefully to other great books in the genre.

Another suggestion already mentioned above is to get them interested in the Fanfiction community. There are with some great authors there, and some well written stores longer the Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series!! , there is a ton of material.

I admit to being some what addicted to Fanfiction, especially that related to some Anime Series and Harry Potter (Even though I could not stand the last 2 books in the series). Along with my books, I've got a nice stash of my favourite Fanfiction stories on my reader, mainly the long and really well written ones I enjoy rereading once in a while. Some of the story's , the crossovers have gotten me interested in reading new authors or watching new series, so its a good way to get them interested.

Another option, especially if they enjoyed Movie adoptions of Novels is to convince them to read the original books. I was finally able to get through the Lord of the Rings series, after years of failure after watching the first movie, as I really wanted to know more about the characters and what happened to them.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote