Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
photon17
Enthusiast
photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Too many
Nook Sale at Best Buy

Nook HD discounted $50 for both models
Nook HD+ 16GB discounted $90
Nook HD+ 32GB discounted $100

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...s=saas&st=nook
photon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
same prices at B&N. looks like they're getting out of the tablet business
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
same prices at B&N. looks like they're getting out of the tablet business
In what manner have you reached this conclusion?
Is it possible that you could be wrong?
Or is it possible that another conclusion could be reached?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Gotta love how when a device goes on sale, it's the end of the world.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So true. I have been waiting for my HD+ as it was on back order. I just canceled it due to Office Depot not going to price match. So I have ordered it from Best Buy and will be able to pick it up in 3 days. Whooo
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
It's a Mother's Day Promotion. Good until 5/12

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Isn't that the truth? Sometimes a sale is just a sale.

BN didn't sell as many Nooks as they had hoped over the Christmas holidays so they've probably got excess stock, and with the introduction of Google Play, they've managed to reinvent the NooK HD as a very attractive product. Putting it on sale now, getting it into the hands of moms and others, is just going to increase word-of-mouth about it and hopefully increase future sales
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
The more important aspect of the sale is that they added Google Play, so now people don't have to root or deal with the awful BN app store. My take is that they realized that there was no way to compete with the ipad mini and Kindle Fire and various Android tablets without opening up their ecosystem and getting aggressive with pricing, so now they can devote their energies to selling books and magazines, instead of trying to compete with an inferior app store.

BTW, the same sale prices are available at Target, which gives 5% off if you use their Redcard. I picked up an HD, downloaded the software update, and downloaded several google apps, including the Kindle one. The default browser is now Chrome, and they added a Gmail app as well, so they must have made a deal with Google, as they did with Microsoft last year.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
In what manner have you reached this conclusion?
Is it possible that you could be wrong?
Or is it possible that another conclusion could be reached?

Don
Just guessin'.
Yup.
We'll make up for the loss per unit by increasing sales volume?

All joshing aside, I'd guess that's where it's heading but could very well be wrong. This is a very good deal. Almost good enough to tempt me to buy one even though I have no real use for it (already have an N7). People on slickdeals are reporting those with 90 dollar off coupons (sent to B&N members a few weeks back and good for another week) are getting them for 90 bucks.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Think I'm going to have to purchase a Nook HD+ before Mother's Day...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Went to our store - they won't honor the coupons now that the price dropped, so you pay the same price as the coupon gave you before.

Since they stopped giving you $50 in content, it's essentially the same price for the average consumer on the HD (it is a better deal for those who don't plan on buying from B&N, of course).

The Play store is a good addition - I have a lot more there than at B&N (where I simply won't pay $$ for any apps, since they are locked into their tablets). Has anyone added the Amazon appstore to their tablet? that would give you access to your apps in all three stores on one device (assuming you can force the app to run, since so many are arbitrarily disabled on one device or another, even though they will run if you sideload them).

I also checked the BOGOF weekend offer at B&N -- they are not honoring the online terms and are forcing you to pay for the more expensive of the two books you select.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: I tried the coupon code for the $90 off the HD+ tablet online and it actually worked, taking an additional $90 off (would have been $50 off the HD). I have no idea how long this will continue to work or if B&N will actually ship the ones ordered with this steep discount, but it's worth a shot for those who received coupons in the mail.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Update: I tried the coupon code for the $90 off the HD+ tablet online and it actually worked, taking an additional $90 off (would have been $50 off the HD). I have no idea how long this will continue to work or if B&N will actually ship the ones ordered with this steep discount, but it's worth a shot for those who received coupons in the mail.
Looks like they may have fixed this. My coupon only takes 1 cent more off and I'm seeing reports on slickdeals that others are seeing the same. Congrats if you get it for that price.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Looks like they may have fixed this. My coupon only takes 1 cent more off and I'm seeing reports on slickdeals that others are seeing the same. Congrats if you get it for that price.

Order Date Order Number Order Total Status
May 5, 2013 ######### $130.01 Shipped

ETA: checked my CC stmt and that's what I was charged!

Also, had an apology in email today from local B&N store - they will honor the actual terms of the weekend deal! Of course, I now have to drive back over there...

Last edited by koland; 05-07-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Order Date Order Number Order Total Status
May 5, 2013 ######### $130.01 Shipped

ETA: checked my CC stmt and that's what I was charged!

Also, had an apology in email today from local B&N store - they will honor the actual terms of the weekend deal! Of course, I now have to drive back over there...
Congrats. Based on the slickdeal comments, they fixed it in store as well so that the coupons only take a penny off. I was willing to pull the trigger on a 32G HD+ if I could have gotten it that cheap... oh well.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote