Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #46
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly don't think you need extensive format support for academic use.
Not so much "extensive", but "epub, mobi, pdf." Doc/RTF would be good too, but (sigh) those can be thrown into PDF if necessary. It'd be good for a single program to handle both commercial ebook formats (even if only non-DRM'd) that are required reading for some classes, and the standard PDFs.

Quote:
Like it or loath it, the academic world works with PDF. It's the standard used for pretty much everything. I get a good 10h actual usage from my iPad - easily a full day's work - and that's with extensive web browsing, and other such power-hungry activities. I think personally that's enough, although I'm sure that some might disagree.
I think the 10 hr iPad battery should be plenty for academic & most business uses; after all, laptops get a lot less than that. ("Most" business uses: business execs want something that'll deal with an 8-hour flight and a few hours on either side of that. But I suspect that can be worked around, just as they manage for laptops now.)

I suspect the real complaint against tablets is the cost, which I don't think is caused by the extra computer functions--I think it's caused by putting a good visual display and long-life battery in a tiny package, and it wouldn't be substantially cheaper if the rest of the iFunctions went away. The bits I've heard say the iPad is a fine ebook reader; it's just that the market for $500 ebook readers is still fairly small, and many of the people who can afford one at that price wanted the handful of features that the iPad doesn't have. (E-ink; reading all the ebooks through a single interface; etc.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Not so much "extensive", but "epub, mobi, pdf." Doc/RTF would be good too, but (sigh) those can be thrown into PDF if necessary. It'd be good for a single program to handle both commercial ebook formats (even if only non-DRM'd) that are required reading for some classes, and the standard PDFs.
You can of course read all those on an iPad -albeit with different applications. I agree it would be nice to have one "do it all" app, but there's something to be said for an app that does one thing, and does it WELL, such as Goodreader for PDFs.

Quote:
business execs want something that'll deal with an 8-hour flight and a few hours on either side of that. But I suspect that can be worked around, just as they manage for laptops now.)
Seems to be standard to have USB power sockets on seats in everything other than local flights these days, so power issues are probably largely a thing of the past.

Quote:
I suspect the real complaint against tablets is the cost, which I don't think is caused by the extra computer functions--I think it's caused by putting a good visual display and long-life battery in a tiny package
Very true. Of course you can get a 10" no-name Android tablet for a third the price of the iPad. The problem is that it will probably have a 2h battery life . You can also get very, very good Android tablets from companies like Samsung and Motorola which are every bit the equal of the iPad (and which cost pretty much the same as the iPad).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #48
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
One thing that most folks forget is the “room to grow” factor. Apple has this concept down pat, as do most of the larger tablet/phone/computer manufacturers. If they make today’s product just good enough and priced to sell well, then next year’s model can be just enough better to create block long lines to get the “New” model; and blame it on advancing technology. All when the truth is; they could have done it in the beginning, but then there wouldn’t be room to grow.
BINGO!!! If you don't think they have this planned/stretched out for several years with just incremental improvements every year or two to maximize their profits, you're extremely naive!

This is why I am NEVER one of the first on the block to buy anything because I know that the very first one is usually full of bugs and not nearly close to what will appear in a year or two.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #49
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
4. Why only 1GB? My Sony PRS-650 has 2GB.

5. 1 llb is WAY too heavy for a reader. It has to be one hand comfortable.

6. MY readers run about 1 - 1.5 weeks with normal use.

7 - 10 may be possible with PRS+ on a Sony PRS-x50. Some now, some upon request.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
4. Why only 1GB? My Sony PRS-650 has 2GB.
The OP is talking about the amount of RAM, not the amount of storage space. Completely different thing. Your Sony has 2GB of flash memory for storage, but it has (I believe) 256MB RAM to run its firmware in. More RAM means that you can render more complex documents more quickly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #51
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
Excellent list rolexconfuse, I'd buy one these in a blink.
I'd want a couple of other things, such as DjVu support and the ability to search searchable PDFs and DjVus.

My Boox M90 fulfills some of these requirements but is still a bit clunky. I can't justify the cost of an upgrade to the M92.
As someone who uses both epaper and a tablet to read books, I'm a strong believer in the superior reading experience offered by epaper.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #52
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony T1, NSTx2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
...The device you require actually exist, it is a Russian e-Reader (I think it is called JetReader or JetBook)...
Why have you done this to me? Just when I resolved to stop spending money on shiny gadgets....

http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook-Color-Black/?refid=29532
frogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #53
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I have wanted a large screen (9.7 inch) e-ink reader for a number of years, but the Kindle DX has not had the best reviews regarding its PDF capabilities (although I was very, very close to purchasing one before ultimately deciding to get an iPad), and the other large-screen devices did not have Pearl e-ink. I would have loved to see Sony make a device with a large screen, as I love the firmware on their ebook readers. I use a tablet (iPad 2) for most of my PDF ebook reading, and while the iPad is very functional in that respect (I'm tempted to upgrade it to the newest model, though, because of the improved DPI) I do find it a strain to read on a backlit screen for long periods of time. I would definitely consider purchasing an e-ink reader with a large screen even now, if I found it to my liking. I imagine that I would miss the iPads super-responsive display, though, which makes non-linear reading a treat.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #54
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can say from personal experience that the iPad with the "Goodreader" app is a quite superb environment for reading and annotating A4-size PDFs.
Second that.

I purchased an iPad2 for PDF texts, reference books and suchlike.

It is an essential tool for me whilst at the hobby bench or tabletop gaming with my aging group of geeks.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #55
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Gadget pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogi View Post
Why have you done this to me? Just when I resolved to stop spending money on shiny gadgets....

I confess, I'm a gadget pimp. Me see, me want, then sell sloppy seconds to next in line. Like this one.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #56
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony T1, NSTx2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
It is an essential tool for me whilst at the hobby bench or tabletop gaming with my aging group of geeks.
And companies like Privateer Press still don't understand that a PDF on tablet/iPad is much preferable to lugging around 10 pounds of books with your 20 pounds of pewter fig's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I confess, I'm a gadget pimp. Me see, me want, then sell sloppy seconds to next in line. Like this one.
Not as tempted by this one. I like eInk for reading
frogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #57
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
And companies like Privateer Press still don't understand that a PDF on tablet/iPad is much preferable to lugging around 10 pounds of books with your 20 pounds of pewter fig's

So very true.

Gone are the days of using a trolley to bring out the books. They can now stay safe in the bookcase.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #58
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:

Not as tempted by this one. I like eInk for reading
Me too, I'm just curious as to what the intended market may look like. It is a monstrous tablet, and in a few years when it will be available for $150 I can see how you might want to build it into a kitchen cabinet or hallway door as a message board or prescription collection. But at that price, right now? Not sure what to do with it.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #59
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

Don't get too excited - best read through at least this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167587 and this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170941 first.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote