Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
New Kindle vs new Kindle Touch battery life

Any idea why the new non-Touch is advertised as a month battery life, and the Touch version is still quoted as a 2 hour battery life?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
I assume you mean 2-month, not 2-hour here. Maybe it's a simple matter of putting a bigger battery in a higher-end model?
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Any idea why the new non-Touch is advertised as a month battery life, and the Touch version is still quoted as a 2 hour battery life?
The new non touch Kindle is significantly shorter, thinner, and lighter than the new Kindle touch. The battery is probably smaller to help achieve those reductions.

I think this is very close to the Kindle I've been waiting over 2 years for. I like my Kindle 2, but after a few months, I realized that I want a much more pocketable model as well. The Kindle 3 is still too big, but I think that this will be enough better to get one.

I hope that the battery will last at least a couple of weeks with wifi off.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The new non touch Kindle is significantly shorter, thinner, and lighter than the new Kindle touch. The battery is probably smaller to help achieve those reductions.

I think this is very close to the Kindle I've been waiting over 2 years for. I like my Kindle 2, but after a few months, I realized that I want a much more pocketable model as well. The Kindle 3 is still too big, but I think that this will be enough better to get one.

I hope that the battery will last at least a couple of weeks with wifi off.
Totally agree with your analysis! I prefer smaller with less battery life, especially if the non-touch still has as good of battery life as my K3.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Totally agree with your analysis!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I prefer smaller with less battery life, especially if the non-touch still has as good of battery life as my K3.
The K3 specified battery life doubled to two months when the Nook ST came out (with a specified 2 month life.

So the new non-touch model will likely run out of juice more quickly than the K3.

It will be worth it to me to charge every week or three in order to get instant on. My Pocketbook 360 has been staying charged just from the occasional USB connection to transfer books, but it can not sleep and has to boot every time I use it. The PB 360 boots quickly, but it takes long enough to be annoying and opening books is much slower than on a Kindle.

If Amazon would add a hard cover and subdirectory support, there would be little reason left to prefer a PB 360. (Well, 5" 200dpi screen, microSD card, and epub support, but duokan takes care of the last.)
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Oh yeah I forgot they artificially doubled the battery life of the K3! For all practical purposes though it is still essentially a one month battery. But so what? Even if the battery only lasts one week in the non-touch that is still more than sufficient AFAIC. I use my K3 quite a bit and usually with the built-in light case, and I have to charge perhaps once every two weeks or so. Everything else I own has to be charged daily--cell phone, iPad, etc.

So to reiterate, my K3 lasts two weeks or more while powering itself and the lighted case. That is based on my personal, typical usage. That is impressive and I could care less if another reader lasts longer per charge.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-28-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A 2-hour battery life seems a little on the low side.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
In order to achieve a $79 price point, Amazon stripped the base model. Besides a battery that lasts half as long (1 month), they also removed the MP3 player, and cut the storage from 3 GB to 1.25 GB.

The $79 model would make a great gift for children.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A 2-hour battery life seems a little on the low side.
The Amazon site lists this for the battery life of the non-touch Kindle:

Quote:
A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. Keep wireless always on and it lasts for up to 3 weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store, web browsing, and downloading content.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The $79 model would make a great gift for children.
I think that it will be a great additional reader for people that need or want increased portability.

For children, the PB 360 is better. It is even smaller, lighter, more rugged, and can't run up a big bill buying books.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I hadn't noticed before that the low-end new Kindle has no audio port, no mention of playing music, and no text-to-speech, apparently.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I hadn't noticed before that the low-end new Kindle has no audio port, no mention of playing music, and no text-to-speech, apparently.
They stripped it bare. It also has no wall charger; but then, neither do the Touch models.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I wish they had a non-touch "high end" model.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I find it interesting, and somewhat disappointing, that Amazon has chosen to eliminate the AC adapter that previously was included with the Kindle. They now sell it as an accessory for $9.99 which, effectively, raises the price of the new Kindles by $10 (particularly for a first-time buyer):

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...7251227&sr=1-1
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I find it interesting, and somewhat disappointing, that Amazon has chosen to eliminate the AC adapter that previously was included with the Kindle. They now sell it as an accessory for $9.99 which, effectively, raises the price of the new Kindles by $10 (particularly for a first-time buyer):

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...7251227&sr=1-1
Do you know if the old K3 adapters will work with the new Ks?
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote