Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
Review: Hard to load books to Sony eReader?

Just ordered a Sony 350, then I read this review:

http://ireaderreview.com/2010/09/12/...ony-continued/

Is it really hard to load books to Sony ereaders?

Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
I haven't had a problem - you can use the sony software, ADE, or (recommended) Calibre. If they are non-DRM you can just copy them to your sony like you would a memory stick.

Just to add, I've had NO difficulty moving any book that I've had in the sony software, in the ADE software or in the Calibre software onto my 350. For the sony and ADE software, it's a matter of drag and drop. For Calibre, you right click and 'send to device'. Again, extremely simple - I wonder how "technology challenged" the reviewer was!

Last edited by Pegster; 10-11-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
sithpuppet
sithpuppet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post

Randy
If you've never used any kind of reader, then the "observation" is irrelevant as you'd end up investing in the usage learning curve either way. Once you "learn" a particular process, it tends to be no more difficult than any other given that you're unlikely to be using BOTH (Sony + Kindle) in any case, thus sparing you the usage comparison.

One assumes that you already made the Sony choice for very specific reasons - "ease of book loading" being fairly off the comparison grid. It doesn't help you any to have an easier-load process if the books/material you want doesn't come in that other flavor anyway.

That being said, (IMHO) anyone who complains that you can't instantly get a book onto a reader without wi-fi/3G is just plain carping. Did they want to have the book instantly read to them as well? Jeez, how packed is their schedule that they can't take the time out to spend a couple of minutes loading their book(s)?

Just my $0.02

Last edited by sithpuppet; 10-11-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling
sithpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I've never quite understood the big deal about 'getting books in under 60 seconds'.

If I wanted to put 3 or 4 books on my reader, it would probably take less than 10 minutes to purchase the book, download it to Sony or ADE, connect my Reader, then drap and drop the books to the Reader. It normally takes me about a week to read a book, so a 10 minute time investment will last me 3 to 4 weeks.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

It is true that the Sony Reader Library software is not well written, but it is usable. It might take you a few minutes the first time around to figure it out, but after the initial learning curve you can load books into the readers as quickly as you can a Kindle. BTW, I've got a Kindle and although the WiFi loads really fast, though usually not in 60 seconds or less, the 3G AT&T coverage is so bad in Dallas/Fort Worth that I can almost read a book faster than AT&T 3G will transfer it!

Last edited by jswinden; 10-11-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Transfering books to the Sony Reader is as easy as transferring music to an MP3 player. You can drag or drop, use the Sony software, or use Calibre. Yes, you need a computer, but most of us don't find that a problem.

I wonder if the crowd that carries iPhones and needs to be updating their FB pages at every moment are the ones who carp on the need to buy whatever, whenever, wherever.

I for one have never had a problem with the Sony software. The sync feature is much improved in the most recent version.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Not that I've noticed.

You connect to the computer, launch your management software (if you want to use the Sony software, it launches automatically), select your book and load it. True, you can't connect the device directly to the internet and download books, but you can stuff the entire reader neatly and entirely into the front pockets of a pair of men's trousers. Try THAT with ANY other eBook Reader!

You need to decide what is more important to you. Streamlined operation, or portability. Sony makes larger devices with more features, as do other manufacturers. But only Sony makes a reader this small and portable, you have choices and options and that's a good thing!

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 10-11-2010 at 05:48 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post

Randy
I just drag and drop.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

I've never had any trouble loading books onto the Sony, and I use the Reader Library software. When I buy e-books from Borders or the Reader Store and have the software open, they load themselves; when I download books from someplace like ManyBooks.net, I cut and paste the file from my Downloads folder into a folder in My Documents called "My E-Pubs", then use Reader Library's "Import Files" function to transfer them to my reader.
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
Thanks so much for all your help. I didn't know I could download books from Borders. Do I have to use Calibre?

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 10-11-2010 at 10:59 PM.
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
However, if your eReader can’t get books wirelessly you better make it super easy to move files to your eReader. There are a few problems with what Sony does -

1. You have to download Sony Reader software to your PC or Mac and install it.
2. Your Reader software has to ‘authorize’ your Sony 350 for books.
3. You have to transfer books through this software. Was able to find a way to move PDFs without using the software but couldn’t find a way to move books themselves - not sure if it’s possible.
4. To make things worse the software is terrible. It doesn’t work a lot of the time – Took 5-6 attempts to get books on to my 350.
5. The Reader software has an in-built store. The only problem is you can’t open multiple book pages at the same time. It’s remedied by using the browser to navigate to Sony’s Reader Store website. The store in general is not very good and there are hardly any reviews.

In summary – It’s not just that you can’t get books to Sony 350 wirelessly in 60 seconds. You can’t get books to it in 60 seconds period.
Wonder how i got my books to the sony then...

1. I put the supplied cable in my pc
2. I put the supplied cable in the sony
3. I waited a few seconds till Windows detected it
4. I copied the books from location a to location b, where location b is the internal storage of the sony.
5. I detached the cable.

Voila, books within 60 seconds!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote