Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #31
Azri
Azri began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
and this is why i download ALL the ebooks i get, from amazon especially, to my hd. if they shut my account down..no big, i'll get my books elsewhere, but the ebooks i PAID for? are mine and that's that.

shutting my account down would be shooting themselves in the foot though, because i shop FREQUENTLY on Amazon!

meh...i've been taught "the squeaky wheel gets the oil". if i were in your sitch? i'd be calling Amazon OFTEN, and as others have said, cataloging conversations, or really ANY contact at all. i was a social work major back in the day and they drilled it into us "document!! document!! document!!" aka CYA!! i'd keep on.

once i had an issue with an ebay seller. i had 100% pos. feedback and this joker thought he was going to screw that up? eh no. took me 3 months and digging up the EBAY CEO email but i got what I wanted and the LOUSY ebay seller? well, he got his pp wacked! heh! keep in mind i kept ALL emails and or correspondence with this joker.

BE PERSISTENT!! no one can guarantee you'll get the outcome you want, but worst case scenario you can at least say you tried your best.

*and pollyanna azri walks off stage left*
Azri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azri View Post
shutting my account down would be shooting themselves in the foot though, because i shop FREQUENTLY on Amazon!
I used to shop there frequently
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #33
mccarrsw
mccarrsw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Day four:

"Your account has been closed for kindle free replacement abuse.

We understand your viewpoint regarding the cancellation of your account, and we're sorry that you're so disappointed by our decision."

In one hand, it's nice to get a clearer reply. On the other, it doesn't tally with what I was previously told about my account being closed because it had been associated with another closed account.

I'm not sure what constitutes 'abuse' in this case. Whether my email address or account has been used on previously returned Kindles. Or whether this has all happened because I tried to return a store-bought Kindle to Amazon.

In regards to the latter, when I spoke to technical support, they asked if I had bought the Kindle via Amazon and I hold him where and when I bought it. He said that was fine, so I don't know.

Politeness seems to be helping things progress, even if slowly. It would be nice to get one of the account representatives to speak over the phone.
mccarrsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
How many defective Kindles were involved in this?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #35
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Hard to believe this story ... you come from NL you said? You ordered in which amazon shop? UK? USA? Germany?
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #36
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarrsw View Post
Day four:

"Your account has been closed for kindle free replacement abuse.

We understand your viewpoint regarding the cancellation of your account, and we're sorry that you're so disappointed by our decision."
mccarrsw, is this the entire response from Amazon? If not, please post it, leaving out your personal details of course.

I'm wondering if perhaps you returned a "defective" Kindle to Amazon that was not registered to you?
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #37
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Hard to believe this story ... you come from NL you said? You ordered in which amazon shop? UK? USA? Germany?
If you had read the story, you would know that he had bought a Kindle in the UK from the Best Buy. That's not strange at all because there are no Kindles available in European shops. I don't know if Best Buy shops are open in the UK anymore. Now tourists in the UK have to buy Kindles from Tesco instead.

Apparently Amazon has found that selling Kindles to Europeans below cost is unprofitable because non-English speaking people are not buying that many e-books from them anyway. It appears that they are taking drastic measures to prevent further losses like illegally refusing warranty service to broken Kindles.

I would suggest contacting a local consumer protection agency. They may take time to review the case but they could make judgement in your favor, i.e., forcing Amazon to repair your Kindle and reinstate access to books already bought.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #38
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
Apparently Amazon has found that selling Kindles to Europeans below cost is unprofitable because non-English speaking people are not buying that many e-books from them anyway. It appears that they are taking drastic measures to prevent further losses like illegally refusing warranty service to broken Kindles.
It's amazing how you can deduce all this from one reported case of banning due to Kindle free replacement abuse ...

Last edited by JoHunt; 03-29-2012 at 05:40 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #39
scoiattolo49
scoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone, etc..
Quote:
If you had read the story, you would know that he had bought a Kindle in the UK from the Best Buy. That's not strange at all because there are no Kindles available in European shops. I don't know if Best Buy shops are open in the UK anymore. Now tourists in the UK have to buy Kindles from Tesco instead.
In UK you can buy Kindle 4 (and soon KT) in most electronic shops and department stores. Usually the price is the same as Amazon (£89) but you can get it even at a discount (I bought mine £79 at Peter Jones).

It has been like this since over one year, starting with Kindle 3
scoiattolo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Kindles aren't just sold at Tesco. Lots of different shops sell them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #41
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:

I would suggest contacting a local consumer protection agency. They may take time to review the case but they could make judgement in your favor, i.e., forcing Amazon to repair your Kindle and reinstate access to books already bought.
Sorry but you seem to be some years behind. You can buy the kindle without any problem in germany and i just recently switched from a broken K2 to a brand new K3 at amazon without any hassel for 40 €. Thats a few month ago and sorry i never had the feeling amazon tries to f** around with me cause they sell not enough books in the EU.

Besides that what is the problem with "non english speaking people"? Do you even have a clue about i.e. the german kindle store? Sorry but there are tons of books in native german language out there in the kindle store. If you follow the news they say the kindle store is a great success already here in germany?

But for a better understanding i was questioning myself and/or the TO where he has got his amazon account, cause NL doesn't have amazon yet. Even if he had bought his kindle in an UK store he still needs an amazon account. Is it UK? Germany? USA?

Last edited by Sischa; 03-29-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #42
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Amazon account closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
mccarrsw, is this the entire response from Amazon? If not, please post it, leaving out your personal details of course.

I'm wondering if perhaps you returned a "defective" Kindle to Amazon that was not registered to you?
Or a Kindle with which they could not duplicate the reported problem.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #43
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The patience and thoroughness of this poster (and the urge to "update as things unfold") is very reminiscent of the originator of the previous thread.

I'm just sayin' that it seems a bit too much to believe that two extremely patient people (who never seem to get ruffled by doubting thomases) would come to MobileRead and calmly document their terribly frustrating experience of trying to get their Amazon account reinstated—in an almost identical manner.
Are you implying account abuse by OP/Partner?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Are you implying account abuse by OP/Partner?
I said I'd retire from the thread, but it's hard to leave a direct question unanswered, so...

No, I'm implying nothing of the sort. I'm implying that this OP and the OP of the other thread are the same entity. And that the goal of whatever this is, is not the reinstatement of an Amazon account, but rather the attention garnered by this thread itself. Especially if it ends in another; "[insert online consumer blog/magazine] has published an article about my ordeal! Here's the link."

My guess is that the closing of the account itself is due to the fact that someone tried to return a Kindle to Amazon that was purchased at a BestBuy retail store. Whether or not it would be extremely inconvenient for someone to return/exchange the purchase via the retail store/chain where it was purchased, isn't very relevant to the fact that it's still the way it's supposed to be done.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #45
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Sorry but you seem to be some years behind. You can buy the kindle without any problem in germany and i just recently switched from a broken K2 to a brand new K3 at amazon without any hassel for 40 €. Thats a few month ago and sorry i never had the feeling amazon tries to f** around with me cause they sell not enough books in the EU.
No, I have no clue about Germany because I don't speak German and outside of German speaking countries there is very little interest in German books.

Quote:
Besides that what is the problem with "non english speaking people"? Do you even have a clue about i.e. the german kindle store? Sorry but there are tons of books in native german language out there in the kindle store. If you follow the news they say the kindle store is a great success already here in germany?
Ok, ok. Just don't make it sound as if you feel insulted that I have no interest in Germany books.

Quote:
But for a better understanding i was questioning myself and/or the TO where he has got his amazon account, cause NL doesn't have amazon yet. Even if he had bought his kindle in an UK store he still needs an amazon account. Is it UK? Germany? USA?
Does it really matter if he hasn't bought Kindle from Amazon? There is one Amazon account whatever Amazon site one is shopping. I have used the same Amazon account with different shipping addresses in 4 countries so far.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote