Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
H81
Book reader
H81 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kindle 4 battery?

Does anyone know if the battery is user replaceable?
New Kindle 4 (not touch).

Edit: Found it myself.

"... even the motherboard and battery are glued in. This means that there is nothing serviceable in the device. Display can’t be replaced, battery can’t be changed."

Just terrible. No Kindle for me.

Last edited by H81; 02-18-2012 at 05:35 AM.
H81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Out of curiosity, why is a replacable battery so important.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Batteries loose the ability to recharge over time, but I suspect one of the switches will go before the battery.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
I wasn't aware there was a problem with short battery life with the Kindle 4 that would necessitate changing the battery on a regular basis. Is there?
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
I wasn't aware there was a problem with short battery life with the Kindle 4 that would necessitate changing the battery on a regular basis. Is there?
Not that I've heard of.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's a $79 reader. By the time it goes you just buy a new one by that time the price will probably have dropped considerably.

The Kindle 4 battery life is fine.
I get 18 days out of mine with WiFi off unless I need it. I read from 7pm to 11pm most nights and I just finished the entire Stephanie Plum series which is 18 books on a single charge.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's a $79 reader. By the time it goes you just buy a new one by that time the price will probably have dropped considerably.

My thoughts exactly!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Out of curiosity, why is a replacable battery so important.
I don't see any evidence that eReaders will be so much better five years from now than today that I would want to throw away my device. I want the option to decide on repair or replace rather than have it forced on me.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-19-2012 at 11:11 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By the time it goes you just buy a new one by that time the price will probably have dropped considerably.
With monochrome screen PC's and PDA's, by the time they died, they were no longer made.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
With monochrome screen PC's and PDA's, by the time they died, they were no longer made.
That would be because they were replaced with something better. Why stick with old technology. Look at the readers from 3 years ago compared to today much less a computer from 5 years ago. They've improved leaps & bounds. Why bother repairing old technology? It'll always be cheaper to buy newer than repair older.

It just doesn't make any sense to concern yourself with replacing a battery on something 5 years down the road when a far superior device will surely exist and be cheaper to buy than to replace or repair the 5 year old unit.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I don't see any evidence that eReaders will be so much better five years from now than today that I would want to throw away my device. I want the option to decide on repair or replace rather than have it forced on me.
It's a $79 dollar reader. By the time it dies buy a new one. These aren't made to last for years to come. I wouldn't worry about battery on the K4. I'd worried about the page turn buttons wearing out. Mine's already has page turn issues. I can't see the page turn buttons lasting long enough to worry about the battery.

You get a full year warranty on it and by then if you have problems you can upgrade to something better or buy another one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Look at the readers from 3 years ago compared to today much less a computer from 5 years ago. They've improved leaps & bounds.
If what you want to do is read texts such as books, essays, and news stories, I question that for both eReaders and computers. Re eReaders, yes, eInk Pearl was an improvement. So was moving from US-only cell-phone-network access in the original Kindle to seamless international access in the Kindle 2 and 3. But going from keyboard to Touch wasn't an obvious improvement, or an obvious bad thing -- just a change. And taking away 3G access to news and essay web sites between the Kindle 3 and Touch was an example of getting worse. The Fire is far worse than earlier Kindles for my needs.

Amazon's strategy is to start out in books and than move to larger revenue sources. Future products will be optimized for manga and children's books and video and, above all, buying stuff over the Internet, not for pure text. Maybe Amazon will continue to produce black and white devices for those interested, but the history of the computer industry suggests otherwise.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about battery on the K4. I'd worried about the page turn buttons wearing out.
Unserviceable switch assemblies are also unacceptable.

As I understand it, fixing switches is difficult in the other Kindle models. The difference with the Kindle 4 is that there is nothing serviceable in the device.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
You get a full year warranty on it and by then if you have problems you can upgrade to something better or buy another one.
My Kindle has two years thanks to my credit card. If something goes wrong, they'll just refund my purchase price and I'll buy a new one that's better and cheaper.

Considering the fast refresh rate these high tech gadgets experience, I'm careful not to sink too much money into device specific accessories.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
This is a trend that continues to confound me. I guess an 80 dollar device can be viewed as disposable. But Amazon also does not have a policy for replacing Fire batteries, so I assume they are disposable too. Same for Sony readers and many tablets. It's not just an Amazon thing.

Sure, there will be better tech available when these devices die. But their primary purpose is to read books and tech improvements aren't really going to make a big difference in how that works.

The devices will only be "obsolete" in the fact that they will not function.

We are a crazy society that accepts disposable $200 electronics.

Well I'm off to drink some tap water I picked up at the store for a couple bucks (but it's in a nifty plastic bottle!)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
But Amazon also does not have a policy for replacing Fire batteries, so I assume they are disposable too.
For the Fire, see:

"Two years down the line – when the battery decides to go kaput – it will be significantly easier to replace the battery in the Kindle Fire than its Apple competitor."

I don't expect these devices to be easy to fix. And I don't expect the manufacturer to provide repair instructions. I do expect it to be possible to fix common problems seen in gentle use.

As far as I can tell, the Kindle 4 NT is unique among eReaders in that it is glued together so that taking it apart destroys it. Hopefully this will not start a trend.