Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you still buying Agency 6 ebooks, or waiting until retailers can discount?
I don't buy Agency 6 books now, and don't intend to start. 18 19.78%
If I see something I like, I can't wait, I buy it regardless of the price. 27 29.67%
I'll buy it if it's currently on sale for less than what I expect the discounted price will be. 29 31.87%
I'm putting everything into my want list. 10 10.99%
I'll only buy it now if it has a unicorn on the cover! 2 2.20%
What Department of Justice settlement? 5 5.49%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Are you waiting for the DOJ settlement?

Are you still buying ebooks published by the Agency 6 now that three of them have agreed to sign new contracts later this year that will allow retailers to discount ebooks?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. I regard current ebook prices as entirely reasonable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Yes !

Last edited by JoHunt; 04-19-2012 at 04:32 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find $0.99 ebook prices to be very reasonable. With offsetting discount codes, higher priced ebooks are also reasonable.

But the most reasonably priced ebooks of all, are free library and public domain ebooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think they're reasonable too. I buy so very few A6 books that price isn't really a concern. I don't see the DOJ's action making a dent anyway...at least not for very long.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
If the prices seems reasonable to me I'll buy it reguardlesss of the DOJ settlement.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'll buy even from Penquin (though I feel unfriendly towards them) if a novel I want is under $7, for novelettes I'll buy if under $5. The rest go into my wish list. Why buy at a big price? Just last week more than a dozen that were on my wish list dropped from $8 to $5. And it's not like I don't have a backlog of books I've already bought to read. I read so quickly having to read some particular book right now just doesn't make much sense. By tomorrow I would have finished it and be looking for something else anyway. With my reading speed books are commodities. Price and volume matter.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
If the prices seems reasonable to me I'll buy it reguardlesss of the DOJ settlement.
I mean, obviously I'm not going to object if prices fall, but I'm not particularly a price-sensitive buyer. Price would very rarely be a determining factor in my decision whether or not to buy an eBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have put a few books on a price tracker and I'll see what happens. But I'm not that much of an ebook buyer anyway. I get most of my ebooks from the library. If I REALLY want to read it and the library doesn't have it as an ebook, I'm fine with buying the paperback (often used).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I don't think it'd make THAT much of a difference to me. If it's something I would buy anyways, the price isn't really a major factor. If the price is lower...hey, I'm ok with that.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Be great if prices dropped. It would save me about $4 a month at my current rate of agency book buying. I will put the money away and will edge ever closer to being able to afford a comfortable retirement. Year 2516 should see me home and dry.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
For me the biggest difference between now and Pre-Agency pricing days is that before the sales and discounts often coerced me into buying books I never meant to buy. I would see an awesome discount code and I'd go looking for a book to use it on.

I'm probably not a very profitable customer for the bookstores anyway.

At this point I have accumulated more books than I can read. I go cruising through Calibre and I see way too many books that I purchased months and years ago and haven't gotten to yet. Then I have my library eBooks where I get about an email a week saying a book has come off the waitlist for me. I try to be much more careful now in my spending and picking up of new books because I've just become a digital hoarder.

But either way, it takes a book I really want plus what I feel is an okay price to get me to buy. I know that makes authors, publishers, and the bookstores disgruntled with me but that's just the way it is with me. Really all the agency pricing and screaming about entitled readers and finger pointing that all us horrible book buyers who care about price has really just left me with a bad feeling.

I just don't feel invested in the future of publishing anymore regardless. They take care of themselves, and I do the same.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'd love it if the prices dropped - unlike some of you, I live in a country where the locals don't, according to my company's Western clients, need to be paid as much as Western Europeans get paid for the same sort of work, so my disposable income is limited (although I pretty much only spend it on books, so I have some leeway there).

But as Agency prices don't apply to me now (and English ebook prices are more often than not considerably higher for me than they are for Americans, especially on Amazon), I very much doubt there will be any difference for me after the settlement.

Of course, if the prices happen to change a lot in the US market, I might, um, end up pretending I'm an American more often than I do now.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Nah. I just won't buy books from them if they cost more than $3.00. Simple.

*Unless they are Gardner Dozois anthologies I don't have, grandfathered rule.

Apart form those, probably spent about 10 bucks on their books this year, with price fixing and Australian double price gouging they don't deserve the business.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
After many agency priced books were increased in price at the same time amazon moved resulting in a drop from 20% to 3% VAT, I'll continue to not buy agency books that are priced more than £5.

As always exceptions can and do apply, but that's my general purchase price limit.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote