Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
bookworm65
bookworm65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1, Voyage
Do i need to save the covers Calibre creates?

hi, I am very new to all of this. Ebooks and Calibre, I have ordered my first Kindle. So I have been downloading some free books. I have converted them using Kindle and set the metadata so it adds the cover to the first page.
I have a couple of questions though.

Do I need to save the covers?
And if not can I keep the books under a single folder for each author, rather than having them split under each book for an author.
bookworm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You cannot change anything about the internal way that calibre stores book information, and should not be tempted to mess with it in any way or you are likely to cause problems when the file system no longer matches the Calibre metadata database.

You should always use Calibre itself for browsing the books in the Calibre library and for getting books into and out of the library. That way you do not need to be concerned about the details of the internal storage.

If you use Calibre to export books using the "Save to Disk" facility you can set the template that is to be used for the folder/naming structure to be used for the saved files.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
bookworm65
bookworm65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1, Voyage
Ok. I understood none of that.

I am not keeping the book in calibre. I am saving them separate and will be moving them to my kindle via drag and drop.

The reason ebing for some bizarre reason Calibre wouldn't install on my machine so i had to install it on ym OH. And I don't want to have to keep turning her PC on to convert or change things.

Let me rephrase the question, so I can actually get the answer I need.
Do i ahve to keep the folder named as the way Calibre does it?
Do i have to keep the .mobi named as it is? like His Last Bow_Sir Arthur Conan D.mobi? Can I rename it His Last Bow?
Do I have to keep the cover JPEG?
Do I have to keep each book separate in its own folder and within the folder of each author?
bookworm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm65 View Post
I am not keeping the book in calibre.
If you put it into Calibre's library, then you can save it out with any name and in any folder you want. You can also use the command line tools to convert the book without putting it into Calibre's library

Quote:
Let me rephrase the question, so I can actually get the answer I need.
Do i ahve to keep the folder named as the way Calibre does it?
"Yes" if you are asking about Calibre's folder, "No" if you are asking about the folder you save it to, or the folder you do a command line conversion in.

Quote:
Do i have to keep the .mobi named as it is?
Same answer as above.

The easiest way for a beginner to do what you want is to just add it to Calibre, save it out using Save to Disk with any folder and filename you want, then delete it from Calibre. Set the folder and filename in Preferences|Add/Save|Saving Books. In the long term, learning to use the command line tools for conversion would make sense.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
You should also consider asking for help on how to get Calibre installed to your machine so you're not pressured into trying to use it in a difficult, contrary way.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert