Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
What's your favorite place to buy ebooks?

Just curious. Not sure what all is out there and where the best place with the most variety is that will work on a Sony Reader.
Thanks for any input!
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I guess I have to say Amazon as they tend to have better prices than other...

Links on the front page of the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Main_Page
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
CarolB
Connoisseur

But isn't it a pain in the butt to have to convert them for your Sony or do you just use them on your K2? Also, Kennyc, comparing the Sony and the K2, which do you like better?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
But isn't it a pain in the butt to have to convert them for your Sony or do you just use them on your K2? Also, Kennyc, comparing the Sony and the K2, which do you like better?
Both actually. Yes if I want to read on the Sony I must first liberate them but Calibre does the conversion nicely.

Oh, comparing. They are pretty much equivalent, but I do find that I mostly read from the Sony as its display seems to read easier -- contrast wise mostly, but also font.

I've also bought numerous books from the Sony Book store, as well as Books on Board, Fictionwise and B&N. I'm definitely looking forward to Sony and B&N moving to epub!

Last edited by kennyc; 11-29-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
CarolB
Connoisseur

Thank you for letting me know. I have found that there are books I want and I can only (with my limited knowledge of the ebook stores out there) find them on Amazon, but I'd prefer to have a Sony and not a Kindle, I just wasn't aware it was THAT easy to convert them!
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
kennyc

Also I should say that I have checked out many books from my local library - EPUB using Adobe DRM for my Sony 505.

I love it when they have the bestsellers! I can read them for free and then I can buy later if they really trip my trigger.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
CarolB
Connoisseur

How can you tell if your library has ebooks?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
kennyc

Just give 'em a call or check their website. I think there's a list somewhere....

Try this MR Wiki page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

and/or check here: http://www.overdrive.com/ Overdrive is the system most of them use.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I usually buy them at Books on Board. Their cheaper than Bol.com (they work together with Sony Holland), have a better selection and it's easier to browse and search for books.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
CarolB
Connoisseur

I just checked the Overdrive site and my library is there!!! Thank you!!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
I just checked the Overdrive site and my library is there!!! Thank you!!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
You might try http://www.inkmesh.com and http://ebooks.addall.com to search lots of sites at once.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I get a lot of free books from here (of course), Feedbooks and Smashwords. Also Project Gutenberg. Once I read a (really poorly-formatted) ebook that I couldn't find anywhere except Google Books, but that's the last place I look. For new bestsellers, the easiest and cheapest for me is the Sony eBook Store.

I've found that ebookprice.info is useful sometimes.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
CarolB
Connoisseur

How do you get books from Google? Are they all poorly formatted?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
How do you get books from Google?
You can use the Sony library software, or you can just search Google Books (the advanced search option will let you choose just from the public domain) and when you find one you want, click on it and on the right side of the page is a Download drop-down where you can choose pdf or epub.

Quote:
Are they all poorly formatted?
I think so. The Google PD books have never been looked at by a human, so you're just getting the automated conversion from the scan. Like I said, it's the last place I look.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote