Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Kickstarter: A New Way to Fund Creativity

In the past we've had many heated debates about how authors will make their living in the digital age. From tip-jars to sponsorship to merchandise, there have been many ideas put forward.

Kickstarter is a new funding initiative from the creators of Spot.us. Creative types set a funding goal for their project and if that funding goal is met by the 'crowd' the work is completed. Will this model be successful? Will the artist, audience relationship be forever changed in the face of crowdsourced payment? Only time will tell.

Quote:
What is Kickstarter?

Kickstarter is a new way to fund ideas and endeavors.

We believe that...

* A good idea, communicated well, can spread fast and wide.
* A large group of people can be a tremendous source of money and encouragement.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

*My own opinion on this is that this will take off in a serious way for authors with enough of a following who can't seem to get a publishing deal, but still need an income to keep writing on a project. Maybe if this had been around when Ramsey Campbell was struggling, he wouldn't have had to curb his writing to go work in a bookshop.

EDIT: Project Kickstarter is a no-go if you don't happen to be a US Citizen

Last edited by Moejoe; 07-01-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Although I have no objections to buying a book before I read it, I do object to paying for it before *anyone* has read it, or before it's even written.

I've been burned too many times by authors I like (e.g. Stephen King or Orson Scott Card) to give this a whirl.

Maybe when I was younger and more trusting.

As far as cushioning writers from hard knocks - nah. It's hard knocks that make a good writer. Stephen King was a much better writer when he still remembered what it was like to work in a laundry.

I'll be watching to see if this works, but I pretty much doubt it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
To be fair, although the idea excites me, I still prefer the notion of pay-after-you've-enjoyed and then only what you deem the enjoyment was worth / what you can comfortably afford.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
There are plenty of financing options in my opinion, but authors my have to get used to the idea that the days of a publisher throwing them $50'000 to start a book are probably gone.

With the Internet the authors have the potential to make roughly 5 times as much from the sale of a book. They can potentially do it all themselves online, and with the viral nature of the Internet, if their work is good, a lot of people will know very quickly.

I think we'll see a new breed of authors, ones that start online and as word spreads through social networks and their sales increase on itunes, they get headhunted by real world publishers for paper copy sales.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote