Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
riyaraj
Banned
riyaraj has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Post Tips to Make It Last Longer Kindle Fire Battery power

1. Turn the WiFi feature off - Whenever you are not using Wireless network or the Amazon kindle Cloud, switch the WiFi feature off to preserve battery power. You can turn off WiFi by tapping the settings bar at the top of the device. Select WiFi and then select the off option.

2. Switch the Kindle Fire to sleep mode -The battery life is primarily used when the device is turned on. If you set the Kindle Fire to sleep mode each and every time you're done reading or watching a film, the battery will be able to last for a couple of days.

3. Adjust brightness - You can also maximize the Kindle Fire's battery life by decreasing the brightness of the screen. Many people may like to read on a dark screen while reading through books regardless of the battery life. To reduce the brightness of the screen, tap the settings bar at top of the screen. After that you can choose brightness and increase or the lower it by sliding the bar.

4. Recharge battery - Another technique to keep your battery power working more time for the future is to only recharge battery power when the power is empty or low.
riyaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
WiFi really does not use much power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyaraj View Post
1. Turn the WiFi feature off - Whenever you are not using Wireless network or the Amazon kindle Cloud, switch the WiFi feature off to preserve battery power. You can turn off WiFi by tapping the settings bar at the top of the device. Select WiFi and then select the off option.
Using the GSam Battery Monitor for my Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb unit, over 23 hours and 11 minutes of my current charge cycle the Screen was active 3 hours and 36 minutes and used 64.2% of my power while WiFi was active the full 23 hours and 11 minutes and only used 7.7% of my power.

Held Awake apps were active 25 minutes and used 5.6% of power. System apps used 16% of power.

My Bible app used 1% and my Kindle Reading app used 1%.

Thus, WiFi really uses very little power even if it is always active. Keeping the Screen on uses the vast majority of power.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyaraj View Post

2. Switch the Kindle Fire to sleep mode -The battery life is primarily used when the device is turned on. If you set the Kindle Fire to sleep mode each and every time you're done reading or watching a film, the battery will be able to last for a couple of days.

3. Adjust brightness - You can also maximize the Kindle Fire's battery life by decreasing the brightness of the screen. Many people may like to read on a dark screen while reading through books regardless of the battery life. To reduce the brightness of the screen, tap the settings bar at top of the screen. After that you can choose brightness and increase or the lower it by sliding the bar.

4. Recharge battery - Another technique to keep your battery power working more time for the future is to only recharge battery power when the power is empty or low.
Number 4 is incorrect. Google lithium polymer batteries and recharging.

With Android there can be a lot of processes and apps running in the background which are not obvious. These can suck down battery over time. So learn which services and processes you don't need and turn them off. that will help quite a bit.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
riyaraj
Banned
riyaraj has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
If you to charge the battery when it is still mostly full and then leave it plugged in to the charger, in a result it may cause the charger to be less powerful overall in the months to come.
riyaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Does the KFHD have task manager? Make sure you don't have unnecessary programs running. I do this on my Galaxy SIII and it has made the battery last a lot longer.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
With WiFi Off how long does the Battery last?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WiFi effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
With WiFi Off how long does the Battery last?
If you leave WiFi off all the time, then you should get 6 hours and 30 minutes of battery life down to zero for the KFHD7-32.

I use the GSam Battery Monitor to make these calculations. WiFi on all the time uses between 5% and 10% of battery energy - NOT the larger percentages commonly believed.

My last cycle with WiFi on all the time went to a full charge at the 19% level and 5 hours and 39 minutes of use.

My present cycle shows 2 hours and 25 minutes of screen time used soaking up 45% of battery energy. My WiFi on all the time has soaked up 10% of battery energy.

My GSam Battery Monitor forecasts that I have 3 hours and 37 minutes left to zero battery energy left. I plan to do a full charge at the 10% to 15% level.

The biggest App user is Media = playing all my MP3 songs while I read, at 8% in this current cycle. System apps use 15% of battery energy in my current cycle. Reading eBooks uses only 1% in my current cycle and my Logos Bible app uses 2%. Every time I wake the KFHD7-32 I notice the GSam battery energy icon in the upper right corner drops 1%.

With this GSam app its easy to glimpse one's hours used and energy left right before one goes to a full charge and then record it in a spreadsheet to know the real battery history.

In contrast the Paperwhite got 10 hours and 29 minutes in its last battery cycle. There I track reading session times on a spreadsheet.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-29-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
THANKS! That about what my Coby Tablet got...time wise.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you leave WiFi off all the time, then you should get 6 hours and 30 minutes of battery life down to zero for the KFHD7-32.

That's not much. I get 12 Hours from charge to about 25% on my Kindle Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

I haven't done a detailed test on my HD yet, but my gut feeling tells me I will get way more than 6.5 hours even with the WiFi continuously on. Sirmaru might have his backlight turned way up though and that can make a huge difference on the HD. I normally use my HD at around 30% backlighting or less.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I haven't done a detailed test on my HD yet, but my gut feeling tells me I will get way more than 6.5 hours even with the WiFi continuously on. Sirmaru might have his backlight turned way up though and that can make a huge difference on the HD. I normally use my HD at around 30% backlighting or less.
Ah. I keep my KFv1 at 1.6% when the lights are on and 0.8% when in the dark. I get about 12 hours of reading time. It uses little to no battery in sleep mode. I charged my Kindle Fire Friday night. Left for North Carolina the next day. I decided at the last minute not to take it with me due to not having a good case. So we got back late last night and it was at 98% I love my little tablet!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard

Media matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's not much. I get 12 Hours from charge to about 25% on my Kindle Fire.
If you watch Netflix movies and play songs all the time while reading, there is no way you can get 12 hours. Media uses EIGHT times the power of the eBook reader for the same time frame.

Check your GSam monitor right before the full charge starts.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard

Auto Brightness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I use Autobrightness for the KFHD7-32. I also use the white on black fonts. Thus, the ambient light adjusts my brightness on a continuing basis.

However, I use lots of interactive applications: Logos Bible, Accuweather, the Weather Channel and Netflix, HBO Go and Amazon movies and mostly play my 674 MP3 songs continuously while reading.

You can get the exact hours of use by taking a reading of the GSam time right before the next full charge.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I am not entirely sure if the Auto brightnesses feature of the Fire Hd is turned on or even works I have tried several ways to trigger it to see how it works. What looks like a sensor to the left of the camera does nothing. Also along the black border there seems no sensor exists.

Google shows that amazon has had trouble with the sensor and on other models they have turned it off.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard

Autobrightness does work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
I am not entirely sure if the Auto brightnesses feature of the Fire Hd is turned on or even works I have tried several ways to trigger it to see how it works. What looks like a sensor to the left of the camera does nothing. Also along the black border there seems no sensor exists.

Google shows that amazon has had trouble with the sensor and on other models they have turned it off.
I went through 2 days of no light or heat with the Super Storm. I did notice the Autobrightness constantly changed when by my window in daylight to total darkness without any lights.

Since I use white fonts on a black background, the white fonts definetely changed from bright white in the day light to a greyish white in the total darkness.

I believe the sensor is located inside the camera window. If you block that with a cover or your finger, then it may not work.

The KF1G definitely did NOT have that option. The KFHD7-32 definitely has it. Using that option MAY cause more energy to be used by the screen especially if one uses the Dimmer App which may cancel the Autobrightness option from working altogether.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-31-2012 at 09:06 PM.