Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Update (Installation) gripes

1. Every now and then i see a window informing me of a new update. There is a button saying "Download update". That button takes me to a page where i have to click on download button. Why not start it (download) automatically?
If it's to allow me to read changelog? then it would be better to provide a link to it next to the "download update" button in the "update available" dialog window (for those who are interested).
If it's so that i can see donate button, then it would be better to display that button on the same "update available" dialog

Maybe there is an automated (silent in the background) update in the future?

2. When started, installation wizard does "Computing space requirements" which takes about 30 !!! seconds on my AZUS UL30 laptop. Why so long? Is it really needed to know exactly to the byte how much space it will take? Calibre setup take (in my case) 125MB. Just check whether there is 500 MB available on disk. If yes then install, if not go through bit counting.

3. Updating restores Calibre icon on the desktop, which i delete every time.
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
1. Every now and then i see a window informing me of a new update. There is a button saying "Download update". That button takes me to a page where i have to click on download button. Why not start it (download) automatically?
If it's to allow me to read changelog? then it would be better to provide a link to it next to the "download update" button in the "update available" dialog window (for those who are interested).
If it's so that i can see donate button, then it would be better to display that button on the same "update available" dialog

Maybe there is an automated (silent in the background) update in the future?

2. When started, installation wizard does "Computing space requirements" which takes about 30 !!! seconds on my AZUS UL30 laptop. Why so long? Is it really needed to know exactly to the byte how much space it will take? Calibre setup take (in my case) 125MB. Just check whether there is 500 MB available on disk. If yes then install, if not go through bit counting.

3. Updating restores Calibre icon on the desktop, which i delete every time.
1: What OS versions should it download. some of us run multiple OS or 32 bit on a 64 bit machine

2: Tell it to Billy G. It is a Windows thing . It is a LOT better than it was. The crew figured out how to avoid some of the 'checks'.

3: did you try the Custom install (button)? Adobe (and others)will ALWAYS trash your desktop on updates (and try to instal #$%^& toolbars).
It is one Delete after an update... Live with it
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
All the features you want are addressed and available in the $79.95 version.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1: What OS versions should it download. some of us run multiple OS or 32 bit on a 64 bit machine
It should download the same version that it is itself!
Not that i get much choice now - when i get transferred to the web site, i am presented with the proper but only choice available (x86/32 bits). So this logic is already there - either in Calibre or in the website.

Quote:
2: Tell it to Billy G. It is a Windows thing . It is a LOT better than it was. The crew figured out how to avoid some of the 'checks'.
What does billy g has to do with it? It has absolutely nothing to do with the OS. It's just a nerdy unintelligent implementation of the setup program. Probably nothing Calibre developers can do about.

Quote:
3: did you try the Custom install (button)? Adobe (and others)will ALWAYS trash your desktop on updates (and try to instal #$%^& toolbars).
It is one Delete after an update...
No i did not. I will try it next time and i'll see whether my choice will persist in the subsequent updates. What does Adobe have to do with this? Just because there one well known company with notoriously bad habits, should we all start adopting those habits ourselves and ignoring everyone else having them?

Quote:
Live with it
why? When i can make difference by pointing out possible improvements

Last edited by Starko; 05-21-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
What you are "pointing out" is already well documented many times on many other threads if you looked through the forum. Kovid has said many times that further work on the windows installer is a low priority, so as theducks says, just live with it. You do indeed have the option in the custom install to not create icons etc, and from what I have read elsewhere this is not currently remembered so you would need to do it each time.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Starko
Zealot

i guess i will have to live with deleting the icon, just like you will have to live with people who are new to the forum "pointing out".
Old 05-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There's another option, actually: Do the work on the installer yourself. I'm sure many people would be grateful, myself included.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
Starko
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
There's another option, actually: Do the work on the installer yourself. I'm sure many people would be grateful, myself included.
Let's just say many people would be grateful, including you, if instead of working on installer i kept doing what i do best.
But there is yet another option: If you think it's so easy you do work on installer and we all will rejoice.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
If you think it's so easy you do work on installer and we all will rejoice.
Did I say it was easy?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
i guess i will have to live with deleting the icon
No, you can use the advanced install option to not add a desktop icon.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
Starko
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
No, you can use the advanced install option to not add a desktop icon.
Next time i update i will see what takes less effort, using advanced install option or deleting it. And then during the second next update i will see whether that choice will persist (probably not).
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
And then during the second next update i will see whether that choice will persist (probably not).
No install options are remembered between updates.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Starko
Zealot

Quote:
Live with it
I guess i won't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I added code to remember all the ... user controlled settings.
Way to go Kovid! Thanks