Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Google Nexus phone, Sony PRS-300
Installing Sony Reader software on more than one computer?

Is there anything important I need to know when installing the Reader software on more than one computer? I want to be able to download library books on both my home and office computers.
hannahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
you can do it on both computers. There are no issues with that. Just download the software.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sony allows you to register two computers to your account. Just make sure that you manually transfer your books between the hard-drive and device instead of using the collections auto-sync.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just make sure that you manually transfer your books between the hard-drive and device instead of using the collections auto-sync.
Could you explain how this would work? I'm trying to download a book to my office computer this morning and having difficulty with it.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi, hannahi. It would be helpful if you could provide more details about what doesn't work. Then maybe it will be easier for someone to help you.

1. Do you have the Sony Reader Library installed on your home computer already? If so, then you are familiar with it? You have downloaded library books and everything works smooth at home?

2. Is your work computer a Windows PC?

3. Did you install the Sony Reader Library software on your office computer? Did you open it and check that it works ok? Did you register your office computer with the same Adobe and Sony account IDs as your home computer?

4. What isn't working at the office? The Sony software or downloading from the library website? Something else?

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-30-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahi View Post
Could you explain how this would work? I'm trying to download a book to my office computer this morning and having difficulty with it.
The Sony Reader Library has a feature that you can auto-sync Collections on your computer with your ereader. Just like you can sync your music playlists with iTunes on an iPod. If your device is setup to autosync with your home computer, then I think it will be confused if you connect it to your office computer and it can't find the same collections. Manually manage means that you drag and drop ebooks from the Reader Library list onto your ereader device icon on the left-hand column of the Sony software. You are doing the work to add the books to your ereader rather than the computer doing it automatically.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
hannahi
Addict

Thanks Bookworm_Girl. I think I understand what you mean by managing manually vs automatically syncing collections. I'll check the settings on the Sony Reader software that I have installed at home. My work computer is a Windows PC. I think for now I'll just stick to downloading books at home to avoid these problems. I think I might have different Adobe IDs on the two computers. Also, I'm not really familiar with the Sony Reader software so I'll give myself more time to work with it at home. I checked out three library books last night on my home computer and had another problem--two of the books did not download to my Sony Reader library though I saw the acsm file in my Temp folder. I think I was having a problem with internet connectivity. I need to see if there's a way to transfer the acsm to the Sony Reader library--dragging and dropping didn't seem to work.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Thanks, hannahi. You response was very useful. I think it would be good to get your home system sorted our first. Then it will be easier to duplicate it at the office. It is important that you use the same Adobe IDs for both computers because that's the key to unlock the DRM encryption on the ebook.

Many people get confused by the acsm files. When I borrow a library book, it also downloads an acsm file to a folder on my computer. You need to right-click on the acsm file with your mouse. Then select Open With > Reader Library. That action will then auto-launch the Sony Reader Library and then auto-import the book into the software and also auto-copy the EPUB (or PDF) file to a folder on your hard-drive in Documents > My Books > Reader Library. Depending on the size of the book and your internet connection, it might take a minute or so to import the book. On the left hand column of the Sony software is a category called Status. Click on that and it has a progress bar and displays a completed message when it is done.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
hannahi
Addict

Thanks, Bookworm_Girl! It was really easy to find the acsm files and right-click to open the files in the Sony Reader.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Fantastic! I am lucky to have a great e-library in my city so I read a lot of library books.

Just another tip. You can buy ebooks at other stores besides Sony, like Borders, Kobobooks, and Booksonboard. Just not Barnes & Noble because their DRM doesn't work with the Sony models. When you buy from these other stores the process is just like the library books. Their downloads also use acsm files. You open them just like you did for the library books.

Now you are on your way to happy e-reading!