Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
dirtyvectors
dirtyvectors began at the beginning.

Device: all
Question Query about kindle touch TOC problems

Hi,

I've been using calibre for a while to create reasonably basic epubs for ipad/other readers and mobi files for kindle. I convert from indesign to get my epub, then edit the css and general other bits and bobs to get the correct formatting and appearance that I'm looking for, then if I need to I'll convert to mobi.

Up until now everything has worked fine, but I've just run into a problem with a new book I've converted for mobi output.

The problem is that the TOC is not multi-level when viewed on the kindle touch.

It works fine on calibre's epub view, and the calibre kindle view, as well as when I look at the file on amazon's kindle viewer which claims to be previewing as a kindle touch. It even works as a multi level TOC on the normal kindle keyboard.

But When it is loaded onto the kindle touch, the TOC becomes a long list of non indented chapters.

Has anyone run into this problem or can anyone think of a reason why this would happen?

Any help would be appreciated,
Lon
dirtyvectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like a bug int he touch firmware, I suggest you convert to azw3 instead, to workaround the bug.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
dirtyvectors

Hi Kovid,

Thanks for your instant reply, that's what I thought may be the case but wondered if anyone else had experienced this – Also thanks for all your great work on calibre, it's fantastic.

I know this may be going beyond your normal area of expertise but how will that work in regard to using the resulting file – can I upload the azw3 file to amazon, and onto the kindle touch directly in the same way as a mobi file?

Should I do a straight conversion from the epub to azw3? and do I need to fiddle with anything more on the TOC conversion options or leave them as they are when they normally work?

Thanks again,
Lon Chan
Old 08-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no idea about amazon uploading, as for conversion options, they remain the same.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
dirtyvectors

Hi Kovid,

Thanks for that, it seems to be working fine now, the azw3 works with the proper TOC levels on the kindle touch, and I guess amazon will convert down to send out to older kindle models.

Thanks for your help!
Lon
Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyvectors View Post
, and I guess amazon will convert down to send out to older kindle models.
Actually, I suspect that your book simply won't be available to older Kindle devices/owners if you're only uploading the stand-alone AZW3 (KF8) format. I'm pretty sure they need the source and/or a combined MOBI/KF8 file to ensure delivery/functionality across the entire range of Kindle devices.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-07-2012 at 12:44 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
dirtyvectors

Hi DiapDealer,

Thanks for your input, thought I had this sorted!

So how do I go about getting the azw3 file to be a combined mobi/KF8 file that works with the kindle touch properly?

Any help would be appreciated,
Lon
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So how do I go about getting the azw3 file to be a combined mobi/KF8 file that works with the kindle touch properly?
If your book has no absolute need for features provided by the KF8 format... then simply upload a plain-jane MOBI. That will work across all devices/apps.

If you don't care about older devices, then upload the stand-alone AZW3.

If there's something in the KF8 format that your book will specifically benefit from, then upload the combined MOBI/KF8 that's produced by: A) kindlegen/previewer or B) use the calibre plugin tweak to produce an experimental combination file:
Quote:
calibre can now generate Amazon's new KF8 format MOBI files. To turn on this feature, go to Preferences->Tweaks and click Plugin Tweaks. In the box add: test_mobi_output_type = 'both' calibre will now produce MOBI files that have both the old MOBI format and the new KF8 format in them. To learn more about KF8, see: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000729511 Note that calibre support for KF8 is still experimental and there will likely be bugs.
With the combined file, Amazon can deliver whichever format it needs to whichever device/app—depending on the device/app's capabilities.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
dirtyvectors

Thanks for that, I needed the simple step instructions to sort out that plugin – that has created the perfect file, a mobi that keeps the ncx format from the azw3 file so that the Kindle Touch will show a multilevel TOC!

Thanks all!
Lon

Tags
kindle touch, multi-level, sub-chapters, toc