Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Jane Deaux
Jane Deaux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi (2010) v. 2.3 + SSDX 0.1
Unhappy Screensaver Hack WON'T go away! I can't update!

I have tried everything I can think of to get the + SSDX 0.1 uninstalled so that I can update to 2.5.8 on my Kindle DXi. I purchased this Kindle around Jan. 2010 and installed the hack within a few weeks. I have had no trouble since then until now when I try to uninstall the hack so that I can get the amazon update.
Things I've done so far:
Installed multiple Screensaver install .bin files and one or two allowed me to select the update option, but the update fails every time. Also tried using the uninstall file although the install was unsuccessful. Nothing. The + SSDX 0.1 was still there.

Next used the jailbreak install file, said it was unsuccessful. I tried the unistall .bin anyway and it worked, but the +SSDX 0.1 is still there.

I've reset to factory default numerous times.

I've tried to simply delete the screen_saver file and it always comes back.

Sorry if this has been solved before or even over and over, but as I type, I'm reading ANOTHER update unsuccessful! Grrrrrrrrrrr..........
Jane Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Jane Deaux
Jane Deaux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi (2010) v. 2.3 + SSDX 0.1
WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

And now after HOURS of trying multiple uninstalls.....waitttt for ittttttttt..........

I DID IT!

I used this link:
http://www.charles-reace.com/Kindle_Hacks/

And used the screensaver-2.3.zip file.
Then unzipped and used the install dxi.bin and then the uninstall dxi.bin.

First I did the install, which said it did not work. But then I used the uhinstall.bin anyway and lo and behold when it restarted the SSDX 0.1 was GONE!!!! I think I had even used the uninstall file once before from this set of .bins and it didn't work. Maybe installing it first was the key, THEN uninstalling. Either way, that was the one that worked for me with a
B005 DXi with the +SSDX 0.1 hack.
Jane Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Glad it worked for you. I think that the problem was that you were using the wrong uninstall file version. Next time, when you install a hack, remember to keep a copy of the uninstaller at hand, in case you ever need it.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote