Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The making notes function died

I don't know if anybody else has already had this problem, but I'm an author and I use the PRS-600 to proofread my own books. The ability to make notes makes the PRS-600 the dream reader for me. But I had a pretty disconcerting experience. The making-notes function just died on me. It wasn't for all documents, just one. Which incidentally was my book. I deleted the document and then re-uploaded it. The same document. And then the function worked again. Very annoying, and makes me worried, since this is a fairly new reader.

Anyway, even though I fixed it, does anybody know if there's a magical way to make it not come back? Is this a known bug? Is this something that I need to get repaired?
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
I don't know if anybody else has already had this problem, but I'm an author and I use the PRS-600 to proofread my own books. The ability to make notes makes the PRS-600 the dream reader for me. But I had a pretty disconcerting experience. The making-notes function just died on me. It wasn't for all documents, just one. Which incidentally was my book. I deleted the document and then re-uploaded it. The same document. And then the function worked again. Very annoying, and makes me worried, since this is a fairly new reader.

Anyway, even though I fixed it, does anybody know if there's a magical way to make it not come back? Is this a known bug? Is this something that I need to get repaired?
Haven't come across this one. BUt, if it happends again, try resetting the 600. The software isn't 100% bug free (surprise ).

And of course it was your book: Murphy's Law guarantees it
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
HarryT uses his PRS-600 exstensively to proofread eBooks and I've never heard him say he's had problems. (You can enlighten us if you have Harry.)

Were these handwritten notes, typed from the on-screen keyboard or a combination of the two?
What format was the eBook?
How many notes are we talking about; tens, hundreds, thousands?

Maybe there is an upper limit to the number of notes per eBook but I don't recall reading anything on this matter.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Resetting it was the first thing I did, but the problem persisted until I re-uploaded it.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
HarryT uses his PRS-600 exstensively to proofread eBooks and I've never heard him say he's had problems. (You can enlighten us if you have Harry.)

Were these handwritten notes, typed from the on-screen keyboard or a combination of the two?
What format was the eBook?
How many notes are we talking about; tens, hundreds, thousands?

Maybe there is an upper limit to the number of notes per eBook but I don't recall reading anything on this matter.
I write in Word and upload rtf's. I don't use any uploading tools. I just drop the rtf's straight into the Reader with my explorer. I've done a fair number of notes so far. Maybe a hundred in total. I'm not sure. On this particular document I hadn't done any notes. It could be worth noting that this was a document that I already had on the Reader (ie same name) with notes on it. Then I uploaded a newer version of the same document and simply over-wrote it on the Reader. Now when I upload new versions of the same documents I always first delete it, and then upload a new version. It's a minor (dare I say minute) hassle. So I'm really not whining. But it's still a bit worrying.
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur

Ok, I figured this one out. If you have a document that you've made notes on and then copy a new document, with the same name, and over-write, then you will not be able to make notes on the second incarnation.

This is a problem for me of course because I do a lot of proofreading of my own texts, and then update them with the corrected version. Lesson learned. It is a minor inconvenience, because all I need to do, is to never over-write. First delete the old copy, and then copy the new one to it.