Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
hcmc1987
hcmc1987 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek
Which one should I buy in Canada?

Hi
I received an Aluratek Libre for Christmas and am not convinced this is the ebook for me. I don't know much about the ebooks having just used one for the first time in November.
In searching the web for books to purchase, I noticed that the books for the Aluratek are limited in the format - requiring epub and another format which I cannot recall the name of at the moment.
I just want to read books - new releases as well as older books.
I freely admit I don't understand most of the lingo used to describe the formats available so this leaves me quite confused.
Also, as I am in Canada, do I have to be careful of which website to purchase books?
Thanks for helping.
hcmc1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, hcmc1987

Someone more knowledgeable with your device will jump in soon, I'm sure.

Enjoy the forums, and the free books available here. Public domain, and formatted by our own members.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
shattler
shattler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-300
I'm not familiar with the Aluratek but I think epub is a good format to buy. I've got a Sony Reader PRS-300 and most of my books are in epub format. I've bought ebooks from several different U.S. sites using a Canadian credit card or PayPal, and haven't had any problems. You can also borrow new epub books from your public library (if they provide them).
shattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmc1987 View Post
In searching the web for books to purchase, I noticed that the books for the Aluratek are limited in the format - requiring epub and another format which I cannot recall the name of at the moment.
That's not that limited then - it does mean you can't get them from Amazon, but pretty much everywhere else should be possible. See my post on "Where to obtain ebooks for your reader" - UK focused, but most of the sites should also be available to Canada.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A good source now of Adobe ePubs for Canadians is the Sony ebook store.

On the other hand, you may be better off pretending to be from US and shopping the US ebook catalogues (either at the Sony store or at the many other US ebook vendors selling ePubs). This involves jumping through various hoops to avoid being detected as being from outside the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
AquariusEve
AquariusEve began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Getting the Libre Soon!

I've ordered the Aluratek Libre Pro and anxiously awaiting it. The reviews I watched online of the Nook (not avlb in Canada), the Kindle, and others with the E-Ink technology looked like they had a lot of glare. I opted for the cheaper version of the Libre without e-ink which looks like its easier on the eyes. Hope I like it!

For those in Canada, The Source had it on sale for $179.99 but only til Dec.31st so its now gone up to $199. However, Costco.ca has it still for $174.99. I wasn't able to find it in-store here where I live but could have ordered it online with S&H included in the price. I opted for The Source to buy mine since delivery to a nearby store is free and faster than Costco delivery. I'll post soon to say what I think of it!
AquariusEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
You can also get epub books from Kobobooks in Canada. You can go there directly or access it through Chapters Indigo. Coming in the next few months they're going to let you pay for them with Chapters gift cards but not right now.

I was PO'd because I got a gift card for Christmas and couldn't use it so I called customer support and was told it's coming in the next 90 days or so but give it a few more than that to be sure. He also told me that when that does become available you'll see it on the Chapters & Kobobooks site.

HTH & enjoy your new reader. I'm loving mine.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
whiskey212
whiskey212 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Aluratek Libre Pro
Having suffered through 3 different versions of the Sony Touch over the last 2 months, at twice the price of the Aluratek, I returned them and decided to get the Libre just to see how it worked. Am I ever glad I did! It doesn't do much, but what it does do, render books, it does extremely well. The screen, which people seem so intent on throwing under the bus for not being "true" eink, is splendid and infinitely better than that of the Sony Touch. The response time for page turns is superior as well. Basically if you just want a device on which to read books, you will not be disappointed here, I haven't been yet. Did I mention it's half the price, more in some cases, compared to competing devices?
whiskey212 is offline   Reply With Quote