Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Talking Mostly Solved: 6" EZReader will not display some EPUBs ?!?

Correction/addition:
The problem seemed to revolve around the topmost folder being named #1.newest - and when that was cleaned up to 1newest instead, all but a single EPUB now open fine.

Apparently having 'illegal' characters in that folder name freaked the reader's OS and/or firmware out.

The EZReader remains the best choice for me...as long as I don't mess it up somehow out of ignorance.
Now it is fixed and all is well.
to All who replied here !!!

Original query follows:
I recently got an EZReader from another member here, and it appeared to work fine - but just a little while afterwards it refused to open any EPUB files at all - just sort of winks and goes back to the same menu.

This is the same no matter which EPUB I've tried.
(TXT files open fine though...)

Just put the latest Jinke f/w on there and it does the exact same thing.
Uh-oh, now I'm really worried...
Has anyone here had this problem and maybe knows how to correct it ?!?

Thanks.

Last edited by smallhagrid; 11-25-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: solved...mostly
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
I recently got an EZReader from another member here, and it appeared to work fine - but just a little while afterwards it refused to open any EPUB files at all - just sort of winks and goes back to the same menu.

This is the same no matter which EPUB I've tried.
(TXT files open fine though...)

Just put the latest Jinke f/w on there and it does the exact same thing.
Uh-oh, now I'm really worried...
Has anyone here had this problem and maybe knows how to correct it ?!?

Thanks.
Are the epubs you tried to open all big omnibus editions? Try opening a small epub.

Also, are they DRM'ed? That may be the problem.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Thanks for replying !!!
A very odd thing...the difficult titles were in a folder named #1.newest and after I tried renaming that folder to 1newest - all but one opened fine.
The single remaining EPUB that will not open (I assume...) has no DRM, but it is large - so since it begins with W I stuck it in that letter's folder & will worry about it later.
Now that the newest titles are working, it isn't any sort of emergency.

Best Wishes.

mark

Last edited by smallhagrid; 11-24-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: eye kent spill tu gud
Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
One of the quirks of epub is that different reading programs have different limitations. Most use Adobe Digital Editions for their reading software. It once had a limitation of 300K or so per file, requiring the breaking up of the text internally. Two major open source readers, Coolreader and FBReader, can't handle an Epub TOC (table of contents) greater than 50 entries. So if you reader is using one of those reading software, big omnibus will hang and then dump.

Most people are building to ADE specs and not Coolreader/FBReader specs....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thanks Ralph Sir Edward, for replying.
Frankly I have no idea what the EZReader uses internally to display EPUBs.
The problem persisted from the native Astak f/w to the Jinke f/w when I upgraded it - so I renamed the problematic directory as described above, and then all but a single title started working fine.
That single one I stuffed into another directory, and I'll deal with it later - much later, I hope !!!

Best Wishes.
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Thanks Ralph Sir Edward, for replying.
Frankly I have no idea what the EZReader uses internally to display EPUBs.
The problem persisted from the native Astak f/w to the Jinke f/w when I upgraded it - so I renamed the problematic directory as described above, and then all but a single title started working fine.
That single one I stuffed into another directory, and I'll deal with it later - much later, I hope !!!

Best Wishes.
The problem you are having has nothing to do with any particular eReader but with a Unix file system. You are using illegal characters and they file names cannot be read. This can apply to folders and to files themselves. In general use ascii text for any file or directory name and you are better off if you don't use spaces, particularly in directory names. See ASCII in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Thumbs up

Indeed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The problem you are having has nothing to do with any particular eReader but with a Unix file system. You are using illegal characters and they file names cannot be read. This can apply to folders and to files themselves. In general use ascii text for any file or directory name and you are better off if you don't use spaces, particularly in directory names. See ASCII in our wiki.
When upgrading the f/w failed to change the problem, illegal characters was my next wild guess, and did prove to correct the worst of it.

The remaining stubborn file has a very short/text-only/no spaces filename and is in a directory whose other EPUBS open flawlessly - so it is a mystery, and likely can remain so for a long time as I have much else I can read (and have that title as an audiobook as well).

As an old user from the DOS era, it took me a very long time to accept the 'enhanced' file naming ideas and I've habitually always avoided spaces in filenames because that was certain death in case of any errors back when 8dot3 was the rule...so naming the one folder #.newest was a stretch for me to start with, and will not be missed now that it has been fixed.

Thanks for replying.

Tags
epub, error, ezreader