Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you find avatar-creation tools helpful?
Yes! More, more more! 28 39.44%
No thanks, I like making my own completely custom avatars 24 33.80%
No thanks, I like just using the stock avatars or clip art 6 8.45%
The blue one, next to the fish 13 18.31%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
How to create your own custom avatar

So you've seen those fancy images sported by Zelda_Pinwheel, Ravenne, Dreams, etc. and you're wondering, "where can I get a unique avatar like that? How come all I have to choose from are these boring cartoon characters?"

Wonder no more. Whether you have artistic skills or are completely without pixel talents, there are tools to help you create that perfect avatar.

Many, many sites can help you if you're interested in creating a cartoon face for your avatar, whether you want it to look like you or completely different. Some will even generate an avatar automatically for you, based on text you enter (e.g. your email address), so you'll have a sort of coded image.

Examples of avatars I've created using these services, for your viewing pleasure, and the websites they came from:

From http://illustmaker.abi-station.com/index_en.shtml

From http://www.simpsonsmovie.com/main.html

From http://www.mrpicassohead.com/

From http://www.reasonablyclever.com/blockhead/index.htm

From http://www.miieditor.com/

From http://digibody.com/avatar-maker/index.php

From http://www.doppelme.com/

From http://www.reasonablyclever.com/mm2/index.htm

From http://turnyournameintoaface.com/

From http://friedcellcollective.net/monsterid/

From http://www.faceyourmanga.com/homepage.php?lang=eng

There are many more avatar generation tools out there, including some that use photos as input. Feel free to post more links in this thread!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I just shrank (or is that shrunk - or is shrunk only for heads...but I digress) a bigger image for my current avatar.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
interesting thank you.
I'd no idea all those facilities were available - I just Photoshop my avatars.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
OK, Neko, that was tricky... (putting a poll up)

I felt guilty after reading your post (see link below) because I was one of those that read your wonderful post up above, played with some of your suggested avatar creation links, and moved on out without posting a thank you for the information..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=7954

So, , for the links. I play with creating my own with a combination of photos, clip art, paint, etc. Lately, I used some paintings I like and some I want to buy (well, really hoping someone in the family will get the hint and buy it for me.)

Last edited by dreams; 09-15-2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: added link
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Photoshop (or similar image manipulation programs) make creation of avatars relatively easy.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My two favourite avatars were each made by two of my favourite people here at MR - one was made by Taylor514ce, and the other one was...hmm, I can't remember. Hey, Neko, do you remember?

Also, my current avatar is not one of the above. From its content, it will come as a complete shock to everyone that I actually made it (but the urge to change is strong, and so this part of the post may be made redundant without notice).

Also again, I'm going to give those sites above a go. Thanks, Neko.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Is there a site that changes my avatar with every post?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I'm having trouble making a choice. I guess you would say I make my own custom avatars, but actually, I have Shannon make them for me! If she ever stops, I will definitely need the links, Neko! Thanks.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
And I get mine from the Xena web sites all over. But if I ever switch away from Xena, I will *certainly* need help in creating an avatar, and will check out these places. Thanks!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
www.sp-studio.de/: South Park avatar maker.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
There are a couple of South Park avatar makers out there, I guess. Here's another: http://www.southparkstudios.com/fans/avatar/

I am also accumulating a list of sites that let you input a photo (or other image) and manipulate it, e.g.:

http://www.imagechef.com/
http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/

Sort of photoshop-lite, I guess, in that you start with an image of your own first. And of course many people just snag an image they like from the web somewhere. (In a sense, that's what I did, though I do own the item I'm using an image of.)

Pshrynk, there are modules that can be added to phpBB (our forum software) that cycle through a set of avatars each time a member posts, but adding a feature like that to the site might be somewhat controversial. I do have an outstanding offer to our Glorious Queen to make her a utility to do that, but I haven't had time or spare brain cells to work on it.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, I had a portrait done this past summer...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
So, I had a portrait done this past summer...
Is that an old Beaulieu Super 8 in one hand and a pint of vodka in the other, or are you just happy to see me?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Is that an old Beaulieu Super 8 in one hand and a pint of vodka in the other, or are you just happy to see me?

Cheers,
Marc
It's one of the new Harv and Vera Avatars line up. First out is the ever popular Dr Montsnmags!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
They look like nice tools, but I prefer making my own

I find it's always fun to add some pictures together and create something new that way. I should really update my avatar one of these days...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote