Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Device: none
External storage access on the PRS-950

From what I've read the PRS-900's access to external storage (SD or memory card) can be quite sluggish if you store a lot of books on it.

Is this also the case with the PRS-950?

Last edited by NLight95; 02-23-2011 at 06:29 PM.
NLight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
I have a PRS-650 with about 1250 EPUB titles from feedbooks on an SD card.

Opening books, page turns, searches, and all other reading related activities seem to be just as fast.

The only delay I have noticed is a very slight increase in the delay in exiting a book and going back to the HOME page.

Presumably because of the large number of titles that the reader has to populate in the HOME screen index, this time has increase from approximately 2 seconds originally to approximately 4 seconds with 1250 EPUB titles on the SD card.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
patomonk
Enthusiast
patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950
I have over 2g on an sd card and the internal memory is full, and I also only notice a delay when returning to the home screen, but the page turn is fine, as is everything else. I can live with the delay, especially since I need the extra storage. I should also mention that a lot of my books, perhaps half, are PDFs and many of them are very large: 25m up to 100mg. Incidentally, they look better on the 950 than on any other ereader I have seen.
patomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Does the speed of the SD card make any difference? Or will a "generic" card work just the same?
NLight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
Does the speed of the SD card make any difference? Or will a "generic" card work just the same?
Any speed card should be fine.

I have used brand new high speed SDHC and 3 year old SD cards and both worked fine.

The average E-book usually runs anywhere from a few hundred K bytes to 1 or 2 Megabytes, so even quite inexpensive low speed cards are just fine.

High speed cards are needed for video where you have to transfer hundreds of megs for a single video, and since e-ink readers can't do video anyway I am not sure you would see any benefit. Some of the Sony Readers do handle MP3 playback, but low speed cards are just fine for that.

The only time the reader is dealing with hundreds of megs is during the original indexing, and I am not even sure that a high speed card would speed this up, because the reader's CPU is very busy with indexing the data it is retrieving from the card as it is doing it, and so the reader may not be able to accept data at a higher rate anyway.

Last edited by delphin; 02-24-2011 at 07:34 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert