Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
nessin
nessin began at the beginning.

Device: None
Metadata?

I'm having a problem in that a significant amount of books that are part of series apparently don't have a series identifier from wherever the metadata is pulled from. I realize there isn't much that can be done to avoid the problem and I just have to suck it up with manual edits, but is there any way to update whatever metadata database Calibre pulls from so this doesn't come up again? (Noticed some other problems with titles not properly capitalized as well)
nessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
series metadata is currently obtained from LibraryThing.com, feel free to update the data there, it's free to sign up.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
nessin
nessin began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
series metadata is currently obtained from LibraryThing.com, feel free to update the data there, it's free to sign up.
I'm still having some problems that doesn't fit with that description. For example I'm working on pulling the metadata for Matthew Stover's Acts of Caine series. Without ISBNs I pull book 1 and 3 just fine, everything works as it should. But it will absolutely not find book 2; even when I get the ISBN off Amazon and use that, which I can also search on that ISBN and Librarything and pull up the book.

The weird thing is if I use a different ISBN off the Librarything's editions page, it will detect the book. However, when I do that, Calibre (for some reason) automatically resets my ordering of the Acts of Caine series to straight ones (instead of book one, book two, book three), etc...

It's driving me up a wall that I've got problems like these, and what's worse is I'm willing to work through and (if possible) fix them, but there isn't any way of figuring out exactly what in the hell is wrong.
nessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

book records are found from google books and if you have entered an isbndb key from isbndb.com

librarything.com is only used after the book record has been found and identified.

Presumably your second book doesn't exist in either of those sources.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Question

Where does Social Metadata come from?
Oh and Where do Covers Come from?

(asking because I'm running in to the 500 requests a day limit with isbndb.com)

Last edited by garcle; 10-19-2010 at 01:36 PM.
garcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

amazon, librarything

openlibrary, librarything