Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-27-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Smartening punctuation

Hi

It looks very tempting but I did not dare yet to use it because I am French and we have our own -strict- punctuation rules.

Is there a way to customize this function to abide by our own needs or, at least, to check what exactly is performed on our files and if this is convenient for us?

Last edited by roger64; 04-27-2014 at 01:08 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just like any global change it will create a checkpoint and you can use the differences feature. IIRC it will also automatically offer you in a popup to "see what changed".

Then you can revert if you need.

calibre as an ebook version control system is pretty handy, evn if it is limited to one branch and session-only.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-27-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typos
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed the control point system is very handy. But, I can't help thinking I would feel better if I knew exactly what it is doing to smarten the punctuation in my language instead of having to check afterwards what has been corrected or broken.

Last edited by roger64; 04-27-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just make a backup and experiment.

If it doesn't work properly, nothing lost but you could provide useful feedback on what is broken.

Do you actually expect that an Indian developer, speaking English would know if your arcane language rules are handled correctly?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Indeed the control point system is very handy. But, I can't help thinking I would feel better if I knew exactly what it is doing to smarten the punctuation in my language instead of having to check afterwards what has been corrected or broken.
Review the info on this site. You may find clarification.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do you actually expect that an Indian developer, speaking English would know if your arcane language rules are handled correctly?
I just expect to understand how "Smarten punctuation" works, according to which transposition rules. It may sound unreasonable to some... and if French looks "arcane" to you, in Toronto you probably may find help not too far...

@DoctorOhh
I'll have a look. Thanks.

Last edited by roger64; 04-27-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I understand not wanting to smarten a whole book as a test. Backups or not. You couldn't possibly know what might have gone wrong without then proofreading the entire book for potential problems. No fun.

I recommend making a test ePub that consists of only one page. On that page, throw every possible scenario you can think of (a paragraph or even a sentence at a time), "smarten" it and check the results.

Repeat until you are satisfied you know what's going on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DiapDealer,
But the whole point of my suggestion is using the diff feature to tell what changed, so there is no need to proofread.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-27-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Bu the whole point of my suggestion is using the diff feature to tell what changed, so there is no need to proofread.
Yes we have a nice "compare "feature that could provide a safety net.

Trying it on a French novel, I certainly will get a quick answer for the 10, maybe 20 most used punctuation signs. But punctuation is a world in itself. Who knows how some unusual sign could be rendered ? How some surprising mistakes could later pass unattended?

Is it so difficult to understand that I am afraid that a tool primarily conceived by English-speaking coders (thanks to them) for English books could prove partially inadequate for other languages?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	general punctuation.png
Views:	290
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	122185  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-27-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: fixed close quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Bu the whole point of my suggestion is using the diff feature to tell what changed, so there is no need to proofread.
Yes we have a nice "compare "feature that could provide a safety net.

Trying it on a French novel, I certainly will get a quick answer for the 10, maybe 20 most used punctuation signs. But punctuation is a world in itself. Who knows how some unusual sign could be rendered ? How some surprising mistakes could later pass unattended?

Is it so difficult to understand that I am afraid that a tool primarily conceived by English-speaking coders (thanks to them) for English books could prove partially inadequate for other languages?
It is not a safety net it is a way of picking up every last change in the book. Unicode is unicode, no matter what language you speak or code in.

Use Smarten, see what changed, decide if you like it. Repeat.

Once you have gotten a feel for how Smarten works, you may decide to skip the check, but personally I would eyeball all automatic changes regardless of the situation.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Roger64, perhaps you might go to the French forum and recruit some help there. Few of us English speakers could really understand the full nature of what you are talking about. I suspect few of understand the rules that even govern the English part. It should be second nature to the French speaking.

Since calibre is in Python, you might even get someone to help with coding, if that is the issue.

I understand that you, like we English speakers, just want the program to work without having to go through extra motion just accomplish what we wish to do.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
It is not a safety net it is a way of picking up every last change in the book. Unicode is unicode, no matter what language you speak or code in.

Use Smarten, see what changed, decide if you like it. Repeat.

Once you have gotten a feel for how Smarten works, you may decide to skip the check, but personally I would eyeball all automatic changes regardless of the situation.
Yes that was I meant by "safety net", sorry to be unprecise. What surprises me is that this tool is not customizable, and seems to be "Take it or leave it". It may apply a lot of different rules but we have to accept the whole package. This may be good for Unicode, but it seems bad for languages.

Nevertheless, I'll have a try and report later.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Perhaps you will be the one to finally add language support to SmartyPants, then.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Perhaps you will be the one to finally add language support to SmartyPants, then.
Sorry, but I never heard before about these "pants", I only reacted to the word "Punctuation". Maybe if the title had been "smarten your pants", I would have considered the thing differently.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Sorry, but I never heard before about these "pants", I only reacted to the word "Punctuation". Maybe if the title had been "smarten your pants", I would have considered the thing differently.
Well, regardless of where the smarten functions come from someone's still got to write the rulesets.

You write the French regexes and I'm sure Kovid will add language checking to Smarten.