Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Front lit kindle

I have been monitoring the technology press in recent months for news of the font lit kindles and the press has been telling me the same thing for months now, its coming. However I am seeing industry news magazines are saying that Amazon will release this feature with the next generation of kindles around XMas time. That leaves Barns and Nobels with a significant head start with their Glow Light. However when video game maker Nintendo first released its newest game console, at the time (this was many years ago), which was called the Nintendo 64 (I told you I am going back a long ways to get this event) said that "its not about being first with the technology but being better with the technology" Do you think the fact that this statement by Nintendo applies to the ebook reader market as well? Has the fact that Barns and Nobels has had a signficicant amount of time with a technological advantage done a lot of dammage to Amazon's kindle business?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Amazon is still king of the e-reader market even without a front lit display. The front lit display is not a game changer and not a significant increase in technology. You would be better off comparing the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet. The Nook came out first yet the Kindle Fire blew it away. The Nook has better specs yet doesn't sell nearly as well as the Fire.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I guarantee that when Amazon finally starts selling a front-lit e-ink Touch Kindle they will out-sell the front-lit Nook in an astonishingly short time. The average buyer knows the Kindle brand better than any other ereader. Amazon will sell millions of them before Christmas.

Whether they improve the current tech in ways other than adding a light, is what I am waiting to find out. I will buy one instantly if the tech is improved. I don't care about the light. If the rest of the specs are the same, I'll be looking for a deeply discounted Kindle Touch without a light.

I wish they would hurry up and make the announcement.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think it is more about brand/name recognition and book store capability than technology. Whether you like Kindles or not, in the USA the name "Kindle" has become synonymous with eBook reader devices much like the name "Kleenex" has with facial tissues. It also makes no difference whether ePub or mobi/KF8 is the better eBook format. Most buyers of eBooks probably don't know a thing about formats nor do they care to. In the USA market Amazon sells more eBooks than all the other eBook stores combined; about twice as many according to Wallstreet analysts. That is unlikely to change any time soon given the lackluster competition which Amazon faces.

In reality, all the current eInk reader devices are fairly close in specs, price, quality, features, etc. The same can be said for the 7 inch Android tablets. One company releases new readers and for a brief moment in time perhaps they have a slight technological/feature edge, but within a few months other companies either release comparable readers are leapfrog them with slightly better ones. I doubt the average eBook consumer really knows which readers are better than others, nor once again do they really care.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might have a point JS. Although I have never heard my folks, who bought two nooks, referr to their readers as kindles in the way that my office often referrs to the Oce copier in the next office as a Xerox, eventhough its not. I have heard people hand someone a facial tissue that happend to be a Pufs and referr to it as a Kleneex. I have never heard of nooks being called kindles. Although I do believe that amazon outsells nooks for the same reason that apple outsells the kindle fire, simply becuase its an apple ipad. Makes little difference which is better people will always buy the ipad becuase its an ipad. My Kindle Fire is smaller faster and cheaper then my son's ipad 2 and has better response time.
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Amazon is still king of the e-reader market even without a front lit display. The front lit display is not a game changer and not a significant increase in technology.
This is something that has me a little confused. Why is a front lit Kindle so important? Are people right now getting a case of "time for a new Kindle to come out with the same features as the nook?" syndrome, or people wanting a new gadget?

Specifically where I am coming from is this; you buy a Kindle, then what? You buy a cover. With the external power points and Kindle lighted cover I feel the demand for a front lit Kindle is more artificial than being made out. If/when a front lit Kindle comes out what will people then buy? A cover.

I can see the need for other ereaders. You buy, then buy a cover and "oh now I need a detachable light that requires batteries". What will be will be and it will come when it comes.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard

The primary reason is that a lot of people do not like the idea of having to buy a seperate book light that will clamp on to the cover and light up the kindle. Glowlight has the light built in so in a way you could say that its sort of like customers want to be able to get something for $0. Also its more troubble to work with an external light that will need to tuned on or off and proprietary light bulbs will be needed at an extra cost. So you could say that customers do not want to go to the expense and troubble of adding a light to the kindle and a desire to have somehting for $0.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
This is something that has me a little confused. Why is a front lit Kindle so important? Are people right now getting a case of "time for a new Kindle to come out with the same features as the nook?" syndrome, or people wanting a new gadget?
Exactly. The light is not important to me. What I'd like to see is higher resolution like the iriver story HD or the onxy i62 hd. If Amazon or Sony makes one of those, I'll want one.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard

Different strokes for different folks, I am still trying to decide how much having a front light is worth to me. I will most likely set that number at the cost of the external book light.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Having a front-lit display has many advantages, especially if you don't want to keep getting new batteries (many clip-on lights cannot be used with rechargeable batteries). Not having to carry around a clip-on light is also a big plus, not even to speak about the fact that the front-light gives an even lighting over the whole display, as opposed to the clip-on where the lower part of the screen was always very badly lighted.

I still use my K4 during the day, but I indulged in a NST Glow a couple of months ago and have been using it every evening since then. I have even been able to set aside (at least for the time being) my reading glasses, so there are indeed important advantages in a front-lit display.

Btw, the K5 is not on stock anymore on amazon.de, amazon.fr nor on amazon.es, so this may be a sign for an announcement soon.

Last edited by aceflor; 08-09-2012 at 09:13 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
I am a bit put off with Amazon right now. Before the nook glow, they allowed a blogger to see a front lit kindle. That was months ago. I was excited, but now I could give two #%€£¥.

It is a lot like the PS Vita. It took Sony months to release it after showing it off. By the time release rolled around, I had dropped my preorder. I didn't even wanna hear about it. Same with front lit Kindle. I see speculation on it and meh. I got nuttin.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleChickie View Post
I am a bit put off with Amazon right now. Before the nook glow, they allowed a blogger to see a front lit kindle. That was months ago. I was excited, but now I could give two #%€£¥.

It is a lot like the PS Vita. It took Sony months to release it after showing it off. By the time release rolled around, I had dropped my preorder. I didn't even wanna hear about it. Same with front lit Kindle. I see speculation on it and meh. I got nuttin.
A blogger isn't exactly a bastion of reliable information.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
A blogger isn't exactly a bastion of reliable information.
Please provide proof he lied. Amazon has never said the didn't show it off.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a significant step from a demo unit to mass production. You can't show a demo of something one week, and have it available for retail sale the next. Amazon tend to time their releases to hit the Christmas market; this will probably be similar. I'd expect to see it late October/November time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
KindleChickie
Connoisseur

Then don't show it.