Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #901
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I was just looking at zelda_pinwheel's epub version of "Three Men in a Boat" which is beautifully illustrated. Would someone mind converting this to mobi and uploading it please? Zelda herself mentions that conversion via Calibre won't produce an accurate version.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #902
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Try it yourself - you will learn a lot this way. Like DaleDe explained in the other thread, it is possible, Amazon gave mobi a few new features in the meantime.

And please, try to avoid double postings and try to post in the right places. We have a request thread for mobi, the Calibre conversion part may be a good place too if you will have any problems while converting.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #903
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This isn't a double posting. I had no idea there was a request thread for mobi, sorry. I haven't read DaleDe's comment, so don't really know what you're referring to. I'm new to kindles, having only recently bought one. My previous posts were about the Sony 505.
Please direct me to the mobi thread.

About trying it myself. I tried converting an rtf into mobi and made a terrible hash of it.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #904
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
The double-post remark referred to this post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=117
you will find DaleDe's answer just beneath
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=118

The PRC/Mobi book request-thread is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11648

But I would advise you to ask in the Calibre Conversion subforum
(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
if someone could guide you step-by-step. Converting from epub to the new mobi format really isn't bitchwork. And you will be very proud of yourself if you accomplish it.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #905
BookCat
C L J

Thanks Billi, must have had a blonde moment. Sorry.
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #906
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Doubleshuffle --yes, "Life on the Mississippi" is coming up next. But first, I need to finish my "companion" to the collections I made ("In Brief," "At Length," "At Large," "Out Loud"). Since the collections are arranged by publication date, not alphabetically, they need some sort of associated index to indicate which pieces are located where. I am swimming in an ocean of bibliographies and spread-sheets, trying to work this one out.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:14 AM   #907
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
This is not the appropriate thread to make ebook requests. Please use the "ebook request" threads in the appropriate format forums.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #908
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Finished the epub of the Complete Works of Gertrude Stein with about 550 texts from 9400 pages in 46 books. Those who care—I doubt that there will be many—shouldn’t hold their breath, though, as they need to wait 976 days before it can be uploaded here on MR.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #909
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where's Puddn'head?

I've begun working on an illustrated version of Mark Twain's "Puddn'head Wilson." I am stunned by the fact that I can only find one scan of the illustrated first edition, and that a sad one by google (their quality is not wonderful, with tiny crunched jpegs.)

I'm shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!

I have googled around, and tried Hathi Trust pdfs (theirs is the same ol' google scan), and google images, and can't find a decent scan for illustrations at all.

If anyone has seen such a beast on their internet travels, please be kind and pass me the info.

Thanks.
gG
Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #910
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
If you go here and get the original jp2 files of the Google scan - is the picture quality still that bad?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #911
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

I just downloaded that, and will investigate tonight. Thank you! My fingers and toes are all crossed.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #912
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Just downloaded that myself and had a look - the illustrations really look messed up. It's weird; the text and parts of each illustration are crisp and clear, but the larger portion of each image is quite blurry. Wonder how they managed that...

ETA: I guess you must have come across this. It's only jpg, but the images look a lot cleaner than the Google scan to my eyes.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 07-08-2014 at 10:03 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #913
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Yes, I had used twain.lib as a source before, and I guess I will use them again. The googles make me goggle!

It is exceeding strange that a relatively recent book like this (1894) has no first edition scans at archive.org. Why is it so rare? Well, that will be incentive to try to make a reasonable version. I forsee many late many nights and double-vision.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #914
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
It is exceeding strange that a relatively recent book like this (1894) has no first edition scans at archive.org. Why is it so rare? Well, that will be incentive to try to make a reasonable version. I forsee many late many nights and double-vision.
Could you (or someone else) try to find a physical copy in some library or bookshop and scan the illustrations? It doesn't have to be a first edition, as long as the illustrations are the same.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #915
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Hi Jellby. ooo, that sounds so lovely. Yup, if I was in a big city, or had big-city contacts, that would be a great solution. Unfortunately, in a rural area in northern Japan, there is no possibility.

I get the impression from some various web sites, that this book only kept the original illustrations for printings in 1894-95. By 1899, the publisher commissioned new artwork.