Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #14191
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I haven't read any of Bernard Cornwell's books. Given my liking for historical fiction, I really must add him to my "TBR" list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
They're well done, and good reads. And there's a LOT of them.

Also, should your interests run that way, there are good audiobook versions of at least the Sharpe books.
You really should add them. You are missing a great author.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #14192
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
I haven't read any of Bernard Cornwell's books. Given my liking for historical fiction, I really must add him to my "TBR" list!
Many of his titles are available in Overdrive.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #14193
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Many of his titles are available in Overdrive.
Given that Harry is based in the UK, I'm not at all sure he has access to an Overdrive managed Library.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #14194
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Given that Harry is based in the UK, I'm not at all sure he has access to an Overdrive managed Library.
Yes, I do. They operate in the UK, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #14195
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Yes, I do. They operate in the UK, too.
I thought you had Overdrive. You don't have the Kindle book checkouts but you do have Adobe ePub.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #14196
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I thought you had Overdrive. You don't have the Kindle book checkouts but you do have Adobe ePub.
Yes, that's right. That's why I keep my Sony PRS-350, for reading the occasional library book on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #14197
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Monster Hunter Legion by Larry Correia
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #14198
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Reading Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds and it has started very good.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #14199
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I finished Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson and really, really enjoyed it. A gray-hat hacker living in a modern (but unnamed) fictional, multi-cultural emirate, who—while angsting a bit over a girl—ends up with a book that has some mystical properties/history. He's soon cavorting with djinn in the "Unseen Quarter" while running from an agent of the State (known simply as The Hand) who is determined to track down hackers who make a living helping organizations subvert State internet censorship practices. Fun, fun stuff. First novel for this author, but she's published some non-fiction (and been involved with a few graphic novels) previously.

I'm currently re-reading Heinlein's Starship Troopers and have Peter Heller's post-apoc debut—The Dog Stars—on deck.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #14200
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Reading Les Miserables right now. Sometimes I run over waaaaaayyyy to many deatails...
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #14201
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I just downloaded the James Potter series on the recommendation of a previous poster. I'm also reading the Godfather. It's hard to do when you see the movie in your head but I'm really enjoying the backstory of many characters that couldn't be put in the movie.

I've got a wicked cold/flu bug so I've been off work for a week. Lots to read.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #14202
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Currently reading, Whale Song, by Cheryl K Tardif.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #14203
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer. Her 6th novel.
Well. That was fun. A good adventure with interesting characters. Granted, the emphasis on noble birth seems very old fashioned and prejudiced now, but it is of the period.

Next up: Quantum Prophecy #1: The Awakening by Michael Carroll.

Apparently I bought this back in October 2009 from Fictionwise. I can't find a current ebook edition.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #14204
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well. That was fun. A good adventure with interesting characters. Granted, the emphasis on noble birth seems very old fashioned and prejudiced now, but it is of the period.

Next up: Quantum Prophecy #1: The Awakening by Michael Carroll.

Apparently I bought this back in October 2009 from Fictionwise. I can't find a current ebook edition.
Penguin has that one in the US. Sadly, there is no UK version.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #14205
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm currently re-reading Heinlein's Starship Troopers and ...
Man ... I've always just assumed that many people preferred Heinlein's earlier books because they were more story/plot oriented and less vehicular (as in polemic delivery systems), in nature than his later stuff seemed to become. But I'm beginning to think many people liked them better simply because they read them for the first time when they were much younger, and their literary subtext/proselytism detectors weren't quite as evolved/refined/sensitive as they were when reading some of his later work. Because I gotta tell ya ... when I read Starship Troopers as a youth, I certainly don't remember being beat over the head with socio-political and moral treatises. But re-reading it now for the second time ever (first time as an adult)—I'm feeling the lumps and bruises from an unsubtle heavy-hand, let me tell you.

It's not that I'm not enjoying it, but, sheesh!... I think I'm more inclined to forgive an old man his later, freaky-deaky sexual fantasy/confusion, taboo exploration, and/or moral thought experiments veiled as scifi, than I am some of the earlier attempts at what feels like, at times, a flat-out indoctrination attempt.

Anyway... I think I'm going to be sticking with my juvenile memories of Heinlein's earlier stuff from now on.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-15-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote