Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
dancingbacon
dancingbacon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Figure out series from Calibre Library directory

Hello,

I copy and pasted my Calibre Library folder into my Dropbox folder so I can download my books from my S3, but I can't seem to figure out how to tell which book is first in which series from the directory. I was wondering if there was a trick to it, or if I'm stuck googling them.

Thanks!
dancingbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Don't load books from inside the Calibre library. Instead save the books to disc and load from there. Then you can add series information to the file name by changing the save template.

Also the books inside the Calibre library typically don't have updated metadata, if you have changed series information and so on. That is stored in metadata.db and applied when you save to disc or send to device.

I use a folder as a device, instead of save to disc. That way I can even change the metadata on the fly, using plugboards, as the books are sent to the folder. I change authors to author_sort and add series information to the title. I have the folder shared on my NAS and use an app (aptly named FolderSync) to sync a folder on my Xoom with that folder. You could use your dropbox folder as the device to connect to.

Last edited by Adoby; 09-24-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
dancingbacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
I use a folder as a device, instead of save to disc. That way I can even change the metadata on the fly, using plugboards, as the books are sent to the folder. I change authors to author_sort and add series information to the title. I have the folder shared on my NAS and use an app (aptly named FolderSync) to sync a folder on my Xoom with that folder. You could use your dropbox folder as the device to connect to.
Awesome. Thanks.

How do you use a folder as a device?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Use the Connect/Share button. Then you can browse and choose to connect to a folder as a device.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#connect-share
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbacon View Post
I copy and pasted my Calibre Library folder into my Dropbox folder so I can download my books from my S3, but I can't seem to figure out how to tell which book is first in which series from the directory. I was wondering if there was a trick to it, or if I'm stuck googling them.
Adoby gave you great advice. I'm curious what is an "S3"?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Adoby gave you great advice. I'm curious what is an "S3"?
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Samsung Galaxy S3
That was my guess as well but she said, "Dropbox folder so I can download my books from my S3" and that confused me. If in fact she is using the Galaxy S3 she has a couple of other options.

1. Upgrade to 0.8.70, the new connect to MTP feature will allow you to connect to your S3 and transfer books directly using the Send to device icon (only works on Windows 7 and Linux).

2. My choice. Whether using using OSX, Windows XP or Windows 7 I find it better to manage the books on my android device using Calibre Companion (wireless required). Its features match the full integration with calibre that I experienced with my Sony reading devices and then some. It also allows you to place your various types of books in whatever directory you wish, Mobi, PDFs, CBZ and ePubs can all be sent to specific directories. Well worth the token purchase fee.

Good Reading!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-28-2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Corrected misstated gender pronouns
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
dancingbacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
That was my guess as well but he said, "Dropbox folder so I can download my books from my S3" and that confused me. If in fact he is using the Galaxy S3 he has a couple of other options.

1. Upgrade to 0.8.70, the new connect to MTP feature will allow you to connect to your S3 and transfer books directly using the Send to device icon (only works on Windows 7 and Linux).

2. My choice. Whether using using OSX, Windows XP or Windows 7 I find it better to manage the books on my android device using Calibre Companion (wireless required). Its features match the full integration with calibre that I experienced with my Sony reading devices and then some. It also allows you to place your various types of books in whatever directory you wish, Mobi, PDFs, CBZ and ePubs can all be sent to specific directories. Well worth the token purchase fee.

Good Reading!
I'm a girl.

Thanks anyways. I just wanted to be able to access my library from my Galaxy S3 with Dropbox, so I used the 'save to disk' option and tweaked the save template so it would save to subfolders and have the series information in the file name and folder name.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I'm a girl.
Don't be sad about it. Just for you I corrected the misstated pronouns in the previous post.

Quote:
Thanks anyways. I just wanted to be able to access my library from my Galaxy S3 with Dropbox, so I used the 'save to disk' option and tweaked the save template so it would save to subfolders and have the series information in the file name and folder name.
Glad you have an option that works for you. You could also use the Connect to folder feature in the same manner with the same folder (save template is Sending books to devices would have to be changed to match your Save to disk template). Except calibre would treat the folder as a device.