Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
Possible Bug in new PRS-T1 firmware?

I just received a new PRS-T1. Immediately I downloaded and installed the new firmware. Then, I added a 4 gig Micro SD card. I formatted the card using the T-1.

I loaded several books onto the card, using Calibre. Problem! The T-1 shows the books as being new titles added. But I can not access them! When I try to, I keep getting Kipling's "Jungle Book," a freebie included on the reader by Sony.

I tried loading the books into the T-1 main memory - everything works fine. But books loaded into the memory card don't.

Here are the potential causes I can identify:
1) The reader is defective
2) The micro-SD card is defective.
3) There is a bug in Calibre.
4) There is a bug in the new firmware just downloaded.

I am not totally new to this - I have owned a PRS-505, a PRS-650 and now the PRS-T1.

I would very much appreciate anyone who has loaded the latest firmware in a T-1 and who has a Micro-SD card installed first please try reading a book loaded onto the card, and then try loading another book onto the card, preferably with Calibre, and see if my problem is repeated? I would surely appreciate it.

Cheers

KNI
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
uofabigd
uofabigd began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1BC
I have had the same experience but prior to uploading the new firmware. I was using an 8gb micro sd and had one book that opened to The Jungle Book every time. I solved the issue by deleting both books and reloading my book. I have not had any problems since. Unfortunately not a fix, and I would have preferred to keep the Jungle Book but not too broken up over it. Also using calibre.
uofabigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I haven't had issues like you describe, but I have found a couple other bugs when using a micro-SD card in my T1. Bookmarks don't appear in the Notes list unless it's a book stored in internal memory, and I also can't use the T1 to create a new Collection on the SD card. I'm thinking that there is some general bugginess in the way the T1 interacts with SD cards.

I also use calibre, if it makes a difference.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
@KNI

I gave it a try. No problems. Have you tried deleting Jungle Book? I did not have the book on the device at the moment I loaded the books. (Calibre, Mac OSX)

Quote:
Bookmarks don't appear in the Notes list unless it's a book stored in internal memory
Yep, same here.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
I had the same problem with the original PRS-T1 firmware using Calibre (wrong books opened), had to remove all my collection (they were all in very bad state, pointing the wrong books), don't remember what else I had to do to make everything right again.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This problem was discussed by the Calibre developers when the T1 was new. This post and this post may shed some light.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I had the same thing happen to me. I deleted the book that I was trying to open, not Jungle Book. I put the book on again, and it worked fine then.
I did have something kinda like that happen yesterday. I opened a book, but it wouldn't go further than the table of contents. Since I was away from my computer, I turned off my reader, removed my sd card, turned back on the reader. Turned it off again, put the card back in and everything was fine from then on.
I dont' know if the books on the sd card just have a brain fart sometimes or what.
S
**Never mind, this was my nook simple touch that did this. Sorry!! Guess more than one reader has this problems, huh?**

Last edited by silverraven; 12-13-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: wrong ereader
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
Much thanks to all for your responses, especially to Jackie_W for digging up the older messages. I'll figure out how to live with it until Kovid puts a patch into Calibre to deal with it.

Cheers all!

KNI
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This problem was discussed by the Calibre developers when the T1 was new. This post and this post may shed some light.
I have some doubts as I NEVER put a book on an SD-card (I only temporarily tried to put some fonts there when I tried to references fonts not embedded in ebooks nor inside the PRS-T1) and I still had this problem (so no possible book number conflict in the SQLite databases)
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
I have some doubts as I NEVER put a book on an SD-card (I only temporarily tried to put some fonts there when I tried to references fonts not embedded in ebooks nor inside the PRS-T1) and I still had this problem (so no possible book number conflict in the SQLite databases)
If you were using it during some of the betas, there were a handful of bugs here and there related to the database at that time. There are also bugs in the T1 where it doesn't properly go into data transfer mode depending on how you plug it in and will try to muck with the DB at the same time the PC does.

If this still occurs in the latest version, I do recommend trying to report on it in the Calibre forums.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #11
mochaiso
mochaiso began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
Bookmarks don't appear in the Notes list unless it's a book stored in internal memory, and I also can't use the T1 to create a new Collection on the SD card.
I'm a new PRS-T1 owner and just wanted to say that I had the SD notes problem initially and now with Calibre 0.8.48 the problem went away, I'm able to see the notes on books stored on the SD card. Also, I'm able to create collections on the SD card but can only add books from the SD card, this is independent of Calibre.
mochaiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochaiso View Post
I'm a new PRS-T1 owner and just wanted to say that I had the SD notes problem initially and now with Calibre 0.8.48 the problem went away, I'm able to see the notes on books stored on the SD card. Also, I'm able to create collections on the SD card but can only add books from the SD card, this is independent of Calibre.
The behavior of collections seems intentional on Sony's part. The database for books on an SD card is also stored on the card. So notes, collections, etc are all part of the card. This means swapping SD cards is easier, but also means you can't create a collection that spans an SD card and internal memory. The two are completely isolated from each other in some ways.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #13
mochaiso
mochaiso began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
The behavior of collections seems intentional on Sony's part. The database for books on an SD card is also stored on the card. So notes, collections, etc are all part of the card. This means swapping SD cards is easier, but also means you can't create a collection that spans an SD card and internal memory. The two are completely isolated from each other in some ways.
Agreed. I was just saying that with calibre 0.8.48+ I am able to make notes (aka bookmarks) on books that are stored on an SD card, in previous calibre versions I was able to make bookmarks but they didn't show up in the list of notes.
mochaiso is offline   Reply With Quote