Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #21031
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire 2
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Going Dark was a treat!

Now back to another October Daye story, An Artificial Night (October Daye #3) by Seanan McGuire!
Now is the time for a Halloween Holiday Treat so, like some of the others who hang out in/on The Dresden Files thread I'm going to insert a re-read of Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7) by Jim Butcher at this point of time!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #21032
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Currently reading "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry" by Gabrielle Zevin. Fantastic writing. The most fun I've had with a book since reading "The Rosie Project".
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #21033
PurpleStar
Fanatic
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Re-reading Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Great fun!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #21034
Luffy
Guru
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How does it compare to Pillars of the Earth?
Allow me to butt in. I haven't read PoTE, but Fall of Giants is an ordinary book in the opinion of the Goodreads group of which I am part of. We're reading it actually and we're nearly halfway through, and the book is fruity and melodramatic, and historically inaccurate. I don't intend to read the sequels. Nothing against people who like this book however, and if you enjoyed FoG more power to you.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:34 AM   #21035
Luffy
Guru
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have read A Game of Thrones, now I'm reading A Clash Of Kings. I have the feeling that I'll give all books in the series 5/5, even if nothing is that definite. I'm late to reading this series so I intend to read all 5 books asap.
Old Today, 02:26 AM   #21036
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW, K-Touch, Nook GL, K-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Allow me to butt in. I haven't read PoTE, but Fall of Giants is an ordinary book in the opinion of the Goodreads group of which I am part of. We're reading it actually and we're nearly halfway through, and the book is fruity and melodramatic, and historically inaccurate. I don't intend to read the sequels. Nothing against people who like this book however, and if you enjoyed FoG more power to you.
I read Fall of Giants earlier this year and agree that it is fruity, melodramatic, not to mention cliched. At times I was amused by the predictable stereotypes. In fact, I have often been amused while reading passages that Follett relates in dead earnestness.

Then I read Winter of the World and purchased Edge of Eternity on the day it was released, although I haven't yet read it. But I will. Because Ken Follett is my guilty pleasure and I loved Fall of Giants. Sometimes all I ask is that a writer entertain me, whether or not it is intentional.
BelleZora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:23 AM   #21037
Luffy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
At times I was amused by the predictable stereotypes. In fact, I have often been amused while reading passages that Follett relates in dead earnestness.
Likewise here. I laughed when
Spoiler:
Ethel invoked God when she learned she was in the family way. And later when she blurts out to Billy who the father of her baby is. I also laughed at the lovemaking of Walter and Maud, their entire situation is quite unreal and funny. Lev Peshkov's shenanigans are so stupid and unintentionally droll. Also Fitz's supposed involvement in making the English fight in France, and oh, the infamous Walter-Fitz reunion on the front line.
I'm sure there'll be more such moments to enjoy.
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #21038
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW, K-Touch, Nook GL, K-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Likewise here. I laughed when
Spoiler:
Ethel invoked God when she learned she was in the family way. And later when she blurts out to Billy who the father of her baby is. I also laughed at the lovemaking of Walter and Maud, their entire situation is quite unreal and funny. Lev Peshkov's shenanigans are so stupid and unintentionally droll. Also Fitz's supposed involvement in making the English fight in France, and oh, the infamous Walter-Fitz reunion on the front line.
I'm sure there'll be more such moments to enjoy.
Yes. And yet I adored Ethel, Billy, Fritz, Lev, Walter, and all the cast. I cared what happened to them. A tear was occasionally shed. Against all odds, Follett tells a whopping good story.
BelleZora is online now   Reply With Quote