Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Kindle (&C) vs. Ipad, shoulder to shoulder

Generally, I'd say it's always flawed to compare devices generally, without asking the question what's the PURPOSE one needs it for, so to me - without THAT - many of the Ipad vs. Kindle (or e-ink ereaders in general) debate looks like comparing apples vs. pears (pun intended).

I'll might write a bit more on that sometime, but I'd start with this interesting link

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/i...allets-decide/

The essence of it is in this table:

So, talking about purposes, this comparison IS reading-wise.

As well as it is this one:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...mazons-kindle/

Last edited by johndoesecond; 01-28-2010 at 05:57 AM.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoesecond View Post
Generally, I'd say it's always flawed to compare devices generally, without asking the question what's the PURPOSE one needs it for, so to me - without THAT - many of the Ipad vs. Kindle (or e-ink ereaders in general) debate looks like comparing apples vs. pears (pun intended).

I'll might write a bit more on that sometime, but I'd start with this interesting link

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/i...allets-decide/

The essence of it is in this table:

So, talking about purposes, this comparison IS reading-wise.
to me it would look better done like this

reading novels
1st kindle, PRS505 etc
2nd Kindle DX etc
3rd iPad

Magazines
1st iPad
2nd Kindle DX etc
3rd kindle etc

Newspapers
1st iPad
2nd Kindle DX etc
3rd kindle etc

Web sites
1st iPad
2nd Kindle DX etc
3rd kindle etc

Comics
1st iPad
2nd Kindle DX etc
3rd kindle etc

That puts iPad way ahead for ereading. but a big mention to the smaller eink screens for reading novels.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Major unproven assumption - that the Kindle app will be avaliable on the iPad.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
agreed but why didnt the table have Epub?

with the big yes for iPad and the NO for Kindles?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
I made few guesses about Kindle for Iphone on Ipad.
I posted it in another thread, but it might be useful to put it here as well:

------------------------
As said in the Ipad launch event, Ipad CAN run Iphone apps natively [so probably will run Kindle for Iphone], but there was a little detail to it, for Ipad does that in two modes:

1.) in Iphone native resolution (so you get just a small box on Ipad display)
2.) in Ipad full screen, by stretching the Iphone resolution to full Ipad screen

Even if Kindle for Iphone worked on Ipad, both of the two modes wouldn't do it - in my opinion - for a long confortable eyes-friendly reading:

- ad 1) the text would be too small
- ad 2) the text would be blurred/pixelated and very little can be done with magical extrapolation/antialiasing solutions Ipad may have, whatsoever.

Do these speculations make sense?
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

The issue is "core functionality" apps - the app acceptance process is...let's just say that Apple have driven off a lot of very good developers with it, especially in games.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
The issue is "core functionality" apps - the app acceptance process is...let's just say that Apple have driven off a lot of very good developers with it, especially in games.
really?

what games have been declined for replicating "core functionality" apps?
cant think of any games that have been rejected at all actually?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
DawnFalcon
Banned

Games have obviously not rejected for "core functionality", don't conflate statements please. Anyway, a load of games have been rejected - dozens are listed just on a private industry forum I read, and also see app rejections. A lot of devs had games rejected early on and are no longer developing for the iPhone, I'd add.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:

Games have obviously not rejected for "core functionality", don't conflate statements please. Anyway, a load of games have been rejected - dozens are listed just on a private industry forum I read, and also see app rejections. A lot of devs had games rejected early on and are no longer developing for the iPhone, I'd add.
at the start of your paragraph you said the issue is core functionality? no full stop no comma then talked about games?

I asked the question thats all.

looked at last three months on that list and there are no rejected games on there at all.

can you give any examples of an actual game or developer?

I have heard of loads of app rejections but none for games that were not genuine issues which were then fixed and approved.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
DawnFalcon
Banned

Oh come on.

Done with trying to argue with you since you're focused on semantics.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
where did it say the ipad would support text to speech?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
prs700
prs700 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-700
Thanks for your insights
ipod touch - iphone : support very limited video formats, I hope the iPad would support them all
Ipod- iPhone : love the one software that everybody hates (iTunes) I can't even think that iPad would work without it

& why not have both 3G and wifi like the iphone?

PRS700

Last edited by prs700; 01-28-2010 at 03:57 PM.
prs700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
to me it would look better done like this
Comics
1st iPad
2nd Kindle DX etc
3rd kindle etc

That puts iPad way ahead for ereading. but a big mention to the smaller eink screens for reading novels.
I agree. If you read more than books, there is no comparison. I read comics as well as magazines and newspapers, and the iPad will just be BEAUTIFUL for that.

Kindle now faces a huge dilemma. Their DX sales will get destroyed. They have to price the current DX at more like $350, and they need to hurry the hell up with the color DX. Even then, when there is only $100 difference, the iPad offers a lot of functionality and it will be hard for a dedicated reading device to compete.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote