Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Do you review?

I have just started reviewing books I read. Do you review what you read?
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Sometimes. If I really love a book, or I really hate it, I might review. If it's just meh ... probably not.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Never. I don't read reviews either.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #4
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
I never used to either, but recently I just started. It was after a friend asked me to look at his book and review it. I enjoyed the whole process and am now jotting down short impressions of my views.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm really lax about going back and leaving a review. I think it's mainly that I don't really rely on outside reviews when choosing a book to read. I've bought books based on 4 or 5 star reviews that didn't live up to those little stars. So, I went back to what I did when reading pbooks. If someone with like tastes enjoyed it, I figured I would also.

Since I am on this forum, I will mention the book I've read and comment on it. I will also look into buying or reading other books that members have read and mentioned (especially if I they have read and liked other books that I liked also).

When I buy or download a free book, it goes on my TBR list. I load my reader once a month with new books, so it may take 3 months until I read a book that was put on my TBR list.

So, basically, no, I don't usually do reviews. I never did written reviews for pbooks. Word of mouth was the way I chose what to read before and it's almost the same now (except I read the "What are you reading now?" thread).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I have only reviewed one or two books. I plan to review the smashwords books I have, but I havenʻt reviewed a lot of them yet because I havenʻt made a dent in many of them yet.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
I haven't done it much in the past. But it might be an interesting way to collect your thoughts about specific authors, styles, genres, which in turn might provide helpful pointers to help make future buying choices.

It would also presumably be a very useful way of ensuring that you pay a bit more attention to what authors do and how they do it. Handy to know if you ever plan to do any writing of your own.

Enjoy your reviewing.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Not very often but when I do it's usually because I really loved the book.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Generally never write reviews myself. It does give me a chance to express something I've been thinking.

I have been going through all the books that have been uploaded here, in an A to Z (still on F) fashion, and have reached two conclusions about the value added by this site [as a book source] versus just going to Project Gutenberg; the source for almost all the books here;

Sometimes value has been added through significant modification of the source material, e.g. illustrations, or significant improvement to formatting.

Even when little more has been done than stripping out the P.G. legal stuff, maybe slapping on a cover image, and file format conversion, often the person doing the upload provides valuable comments (a review of sorts) about why the book might be of interest to me.

In other cases when all that is said is what was copied from, say Wikipedia or Amazon, then not so much value added.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I write one once in a while - usually because I either liked or disliked the book and so had something to say about it. I also partly do it as a writing excercise.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Sometimes. If I really love a book, or I really hate it, I might review. If it's just meh ... probably not.
ditto. especially if REALLY bad information is in the book that I might have first hand knowledge about. also when it is a typo wreck
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
davidhburton
Addict
davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
I value reviews. I know it's all subjective, but sometimes if there are enough good reviews it might be the difference between a maybe and a yes in buying. At places like goodreads, reviews mean even more because I watch reviews of people who's opinions would likely match my own.

Edit: Also, reviews on blogs are a help as well. Strangely, not so much for the book review itself, but more for the visibility. I become aware of more books this way.

Last edited by davidhburton; 04-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.
davidhburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
If I really really really love a book I'll review it. Otherwise, typically not... I have to say I've never found reviews particularly helpful in deciding whether to buy/read something or not either.
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
There has to be something that really got me going about the book for me to review it though most of the time that is when a book is horrible... I used to read the reviews but I find that most of them feel the need to tell you about the book, the story line... well I want to read the book and not get cliff-notes on it so I stopped reading them.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Yes, I do, although not of every book I read. I've got into the habit since I joined Goodreads, where my reviews become part of the record of my own reading as well as something I share with friends there. I've also done some reviews on Amazon, generally of books that are a little less well-known, and don't already have hundreds of reviews.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote